September Call-Ups Discussion

Noonskadoodle

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
You have to be careful when calling up guys when you are in a race for the playoffs. For one thing, if they really were all that good, they probably would already be on the team, so they probably won't play much. The other thing is, you don't want to crowd the clubhouse too much and make it uncomfortable for everyone. The Sox will obviously call up a few guys, but I would be shocked if its more than 4 or 5 and that number is probably high.

I agree with your general concept, but 4-5 guys is not high. We have a ton of pitching depth at AAA and I think they'll want a bunch of them for the stretch run. Omogrosso, Heath, Veal (assuming he gets sent down when Paulie comes back), Santiago, and Leeseman are seem likely as call-up IMO. Throw in Danks and that's six guys that I think will be up by the end of the season.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to be careful when calling up guys when you are in a race for the playoffs. For one thing, if they really were all that good, they probably would already be on the team, so they probably won't play much. The other thing is, you don't want to crowd the clubhouse too much and make it uncomfortable for everyone. The Sox will obviously call up a few guys, but I would be shocked if its more than 4 or 5 and that number is probably high.

One thing that will help is a lot of guys have already been up here this year. A guy like Jordan Danks won't be new to the clubhouse.

The only for sure moves would be an additional catcher, bullpen arm and backup OF. They can probably find another reliever or two if they wanted, but the reality is, none of these call-ups are going to play at all (or extremely sparingly) if things go well in September.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 07:10 AM)
That's the whole issue from a competitive aspect. For 130+ games, you have a 25-man roster and have to manage accordingly to what happens in games, like extra innings, a really bad start, injuries, etc. But suddenly for the last 30 games during crunch time, you suddenly change the rules and the way you need to manage? Playoff spots are on the line, but now it's cool if you have 30 players on your roster to play in a game, not 25 anymore. As flavum said earlier, they at least need to institute a rule that a 25-man roster needs to be submitted before every game.

Well there also is the factor it's such a long season much easier to overcome a 2 game slump because one SP taxed the hell out of your bullpen or whatever, when it comes down to 30 games that isn't much time to makeup games. Most of the times all these extra players end up as pinch runners or late game replacements when game is out of hand so don't see the big deal regardless.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
Bench needs in order

1 A bat

2 a pinch runner

3 third catcher

4 reliever apart from Santiago

I agree they can use a decent bat off the bench, but I don't think that's coming from the minors. That would have to be a waiver pickup. The rest is September callups.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
Most of the times all these extra players end up as pinch runners or late game replacements when game is out of hand so don't see the big deal regardless.

Exactly. I love the September callups. Always have. It's cool to see a couple of prospects come up and get a taste of the big leagues. They'll only play if you're out of the playoff picture or have it all sewed up. If we're fortunate enough to have some callups who can contribute, all the better.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
Well there also is the factor it's such a long season much easier to overcome a 2 game slump because one SP taxed the hell out of your bullpen or whatever, when it comes down to 30 games that isn't much time to makeup games. Most of the times all these extra players end up as pinch runners or late game replacements when game is out of hand so don't see the big deal regardless.

I can be a big deal. If a team in our division plays minor league talent when we need the to beat the Tigers just because they want to see what they can do. Of course, that can work both ways, but think about the fact that Detroit plays the Twins and Royals the last week of the season. That could prove to a division won or lost.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 02:53 AM)
I can be a big deal. If a team in our division plays minor league talent when we need the to beat the Tigers just because they want to see what they can do. Of course, that can work both ways, but think about the fact that Detroit plays the Twins and Royals the last week of the season. That could prove to a division won or lost.

The only difference of the royals would be will Myers for franceour which is an upgrade or their starters which all suck anyways.....

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 02:53 AM)

It definitely worked against the Twins in 2008 down the stretch.

Sometimes those teams with mostly young players or rookies are super dangerous down the stretch, playing loose and relaxed, with nothing to lose and trying to impress their managers.

Same thing happened to the Indians the final week of 2005, and the Tigers a couple of years when the Twins chased them down the final week (2006/2009).

In the end, getting the momentum from that one game/sudden death playoff win might end up catapulting the winner forward, although it obviously takes your best starter out of the first game or two of the next series.

I think they need to change the call up rule. Why play the last month under vastly different rules than the previous 5? Someone had a great idea. Keep the roster at 25 active, but you can activate and de-activate players on a game by game basis in September.

If you make this the rule, then teams will de-activate the four starting pitchers not starting that particular game, so unless you have more than 4 call-ups, those 4 are going to be able to be active every single game anyway. You're essentially creating a rule just to create a rule.

It's for parity. Struggling teams can get a look at young players without sacrificing current MLB talent to waivers or burning up options. It has a very small benefit for teams like the White Sox, but can be hugely useful for a team like the Cubs that may want to work in 30+ players a week to see what they've got.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)
I think they need to change the call up rule. Why play the last month under vastly different rules than the previous 5? Someone had a great idea. Keep the roster at 25 active, but you can activate and de-activate players on a game by game basis in September.

Baseball is its own world. How many sports have two different sets of rules for who plays on a daily basis?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 08:13 AM)
If you make this the rule, then teams will de-activate the four starting pitchers not starting that particular game, so unless you have more than 4 call-ups, those 4 are going to be able to be active every single game anyway. You're essentially creating a rule just to create a rule.

They can deactivate them, but, at the very least, they are still playing with a 25 man roster. Chances are most teams aren't going to have 4 fringe guys on call. Even the guys making minimum pull in 75k a month.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
It's for parity. Struggling teams can get a look at young players without sacrificing current MLB talent to waivers or burning up options. It has a very small benefit for teams like the White Sox, but can be hugely useful for a team like the Cubs that may want to work in 30+ players a week to see what they've got.

The saying goes, don't believe anything you see in spring training, and don't believe anything you see in meaningless games in September. See Fields, Josh and Morel, Brent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
Baseball is its own world. How many sports have two different sets of rules for who plays on a daily basis?

I assume this was rhetorical, but soccer teams have similar depth in terms of youth systems and reserve teams like the minors. The manager can only choose 18 for his matchday lineup. 11 start and the manager can only pick from that 7 (or 5 in some leagues) for the subs.

This would be exactly like having a 40-man roster and choosing 25 for each game that you can play.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
I assume this was rhetorical, but soccer teams have similar depth in terms of youth systems and reserve teams like the minors. The manager can only choose 18 for his matchday lineup. 11 start and the manager can only pick from that 7 (or 5 in some leagues) for the subs.

This would be exactly like having a 40-man roster and choosing 25 for each game that you can play.

I was heading more towards the DH/NotDH thing.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
Baseball and I are traditionalists. I would love to get rid of the DH, but the union will not allow that. DH and the whole arbitration process sucks, bad for the game IMO. I hope they keep the September rules.

I will never understand any argument relating to getting rid of the DH. It's silly to have pitchers bat.