September Call-Ups Discussion

Noonskadoodle

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
The saying goes, don't believe anything you see in spring training, and don't believe anything you see in meaningless games in September. See Fields, Josh and Morel, Brent.

The real question is whether teams like the Cubs have played a single "meaningful" game. Any reps extra young guys can get benefit the franchise to some extent. Even if their numbers don't create a large enough or significant enough sample, MLB innings and at bats are still MLB innings and at bats.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we don't make a waiver deal, that is about seven players coming up.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...tm_medium=email

In preparation for the stretch run, White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said he’s had to expand his planned September callup list.

Williams wouldn’t get into specifics on Monday afternoon as to who might be promoted after rosters expand to 40 players on Sept. 1, or even when they might join the club. But Williams promised the White Sox require more reinforcements than he originally believed they would need earlier this year when the budget was established.

“A lot more than I’m budgeted for, but I can’t tell you right now,” Williams said. “I haven’t talked to (owner Jerry Reinsdorf) and given him the bad news.”

Williams estimates the team will add a little more than $600,000 in salary with September promotions. The White Sox probably wish September had already arrived with several position players currently dinged.

Third baseman Kevin Youkilis returns to the lineup Monday after he sat out Sunday’s game with a right knee he admits has been recently “barking.” Center fielder and leadoff hitter Alejandro De Aza also missed his third straight game with a sore upper back/oblique injury he sustained while sliding into second base on Friday.

With eight relievers on the roster, an already short-handed bench offers White Sox manager Robin Ventura even less flexibility.

Williams said he isn’t surprised the White Sox endured a three-game losing streak -- one was bound to happen before the season ended. But even after his team was swept in Kansas City, Williams likes the club’s resolve. He also reiterated they will need that resolve with the New York Yankees in town to start a three-game series.

“I don’t think our focus has changed. I don’t think our message has changed, one that today’s game is all that matters,” Williams said. “We didn’t catch the ball very well. But that fortunately has not been the theme of the year. They’ve been very consistent in just focusing on the days that they play. I think that perhaps maybe we lost a little bit of that this weekend and we darn better sure have it this week.”