AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

justBLAZE

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 02:50 AM)
I heard 460, 462 and 469. So who knows what's official?

Hittrackeronline.com is the most accurate. They actually use the physics instead of just kinda guessing. They said 460 on Dunns and 470 on Flowers. I dont know if there is actually an "official" distance. I think as far as ballpark records and stuff go they just kinda say whatever they want.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (OldSmoky2 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 11:44 PM)
That's too bad and I also feel for his family and friends. I was watching tonight and wondering about it as well because of my own experience with that. In 2005 I was fortunate to get a ticket to the first playoff game against the Red Sox. It was great, of course - I was in the corner down by the right field pole and we won bigtime, 13 or 14 runs I think. But the two or three times I went upstairs for food, etc., my left shoulder just felt strange - tired is the best word I can think of to describe it. The next night at home I started feeling that again and, after a while, realized I probably should get to a hospital. I went to Illinois Masonic and less than five minutes after I got there went into full cardiac arrest. The great people there brought me back, got me in surgery and found two blocked arteries. I was lucky, and I was watching tonight and hoping that guy would have the same luck. That's just too bad he didn't make it.

Very glad you are still with us. It has to change your perspective on life.

QUOTE (OldSmoky2 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 11:44 PM)
That's too bad and I also feel for his family and friends. I was watching tonight and wondering about it as well because of my own experience with that. In 2005 I was fortunate to get a ticket to the first playoff game against the Red Sox. It was great, of course - I was in the corner down by the right field pole and we won bigtime, 13 or 14 runs I think. But the two or three times I went upstairs for food, etc., my left shoulder just felt strange - tired is the best word I can think of to describe it. The next night at home I started feeling that again and, after a while, realized I probably should get to a hospital. I went to Illinois Masonic and less than five minutes after I got there went into full cardiac arrest. The great people there brought me back, got me in surgery and found two blocked arteries. I was lucky, and I was watching tonight and hoping that guy would have the same luck. That's just too bad he didn't make it.

How frightening. Glad you are here. Last night was a real big smack of reality right in the middle of a fun game. Sad.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 05:52 AM)
Hittrackeronline.com is the most accurate. They actually use the physics instead of just kinda guessing. They said 460 on Dunns and 470 on Flowers. I dont know if there is actually an "official" distance. I think as far as ballpark records and stuff go they just kinda say whatever they want.

Is it just me or does 460 on Dunn's seem way low? It was right over the 400-foot sign, and it sure seems like more than 60 feet.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
Is it just me or does 460 on Dunn's seem way low? It was right over the 400-foot sign, and it sure seems like more than 60 feet.

I wish there was a way to find out how far it would have traveled if there were no walls, seats, whatever in the outfield. Now THAT would be fun.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)

The trajectory has a lot to do with that. Dunn's homers go straight up and down. There isn't a whole lot of "added distance" still be had. Homers that are line shots still have some distance left to travel when they hit a seat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
The trajectory has a lot to do with that. Dunn's homers go straight up and down. There isn't a whole lot of "added distance" still be had. Homers that are line shots still have some distance left to travel when they hit a seat.

Dunn's 3 run line shot two days ago had a long way to go when it hit the seat. That was a missile

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 09:53 AM)
Hawk would lose that extra energy within the first month.

I don't think so. They had that falling out but that's in the past and probably all has been forgiven. They were good friends and had a great chemistry. Though both are older now they still sound pretty good together. No reason it wouldn't continue.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
I don't think so. They had that falling out but that's in the past and probably all has been forgiven. They were good friends and had a great chemistry. Though both are older now they still sound pretty good together. No reason it wouldn't continue.

Stone is definitely a better announcer but Hawk does seem to actually enjoy having Wimpy next to him..... I know some didn't like DJ but back when he was announcing it seemed like Hawk had more fun too.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
Bob Elson and Don Wells, Harry and Jimmy, Hawk and Wimpy, Rooney and Farmer. Those are my all time favorites. As for the series, a welcome 3 out of 4 against a team that has given the Sox trouble in recent years.

Though I had to have heard him, I don't remember Don Wells. I remember and liked Bob Elson and Milo Hamilton though. Bob Elson had an awfully laid-back style but hey, he was a legend.