8/17 Games

flavum

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 07:55 PM)
Erik Johnson continues to be filthy.

6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 10 K.

Boo on the walks, but he now has 36 K to 8 BB. That's bueno.

That 2011 draft has been very good so far. Johnson & Snodgress are probably our best RH & LH pitching prospects. Walker has been unbelievable given how raw he was when drafted. All three of those guys are top 10 prospects IMO.

You also have Semien and Smith, not great prospects by any means, but both have a chance to become major leaguers. Then there is Soptic, who is a big-time project, but could be an impact reliever if he ever puts it together.

On top of that, we were able to turn Walters and Devenski into a major league reliever. Plus our 4th round pick from that draft has barely pitched, so he could be another wildcard if he ever comes back healthy.

Given that we didn't even have a true 1st round pick in 2011, I couldn't be much happier with I've seen so far.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)
That 2011 draft has been very good so far. Johnson & Snodgress are probably our best RH & LH pitching prospects. Walker has been unbelievable given how raw he was when drafted. All three of those guys are top 10 prospects IMO.

You also have Semien and Smith, not great prospects by any means, but both have a chance to become major leaguers. Then there is Soptic, who is a big-time project, but could be an impact reliever if he ever puts it together.

On top of that, we were able to turn Walters and Devenski into a major league reliever. Plus our 4th round pick from that draft has barely pitched, so he could be another wildcard if he ever comes back healthy.

Given that we didn't even have a true 1st round pick in 2011, I couldn't be much happier with I've seen so far.

Who was the 4th round pick that year?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 03:09 AM)
Big days for Trayce and Courtney as well. Great to see these guys handling promotions well.

Walk off game-winning hits for Hawkins back-to-back games.

Audio for both here:

http://soundcloud.com/jfeld127/08-17-hawki...-hawkins-gw-hit

And maybe Thompson has turned the corner with his hitting and the K's will come down a lot from where they were.

Nice to have some players in the minors doing well.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
Leesman and Kussmaul were both terrific. Leesman should get a good look in ST next year.

I am not sure how I feel about Leesman. He posts solid, sometimes great ERAs, but his peripherals are never that good. 1.37 WHIP in AAA. Personally think he is just a AAA-AAAA pitcher, but maybe he could be a nice long relief option.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Erik Johnson's last 3 games, as he is adjusting to A+: 20 IP, 11 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 23 K. Yeah, that works.

Looks like the Kanny game would have been fun to watch. Tied through 9... Top of 10, Kanny's manager got ejected, and then West Va scored 2 on a home run... Bottom of 10, Kanny ties it back up on a DeMichele single and a Haddow HR... Bottom of 11, Kanny walks off on singles by Marjama, Heisler and then Hawkins with his 2nd walk-off GWRBI in a row. Nice.

Micah Johnson... would love to get a read on his defense. 9th rounder this year, 21 year old 2B putting up an .825 OPS for GF, also has 16 SB. And getting better - .984 OPS in last 10 games. Walk rate is decent, has a little power, some speed, and the K rate is manageable.

I was excited for Beckham but his ceiling as a prospect wasnt nearly as high as Hawkins' is now. I remember hearing Beckham's MLB comp was Michael Young but Hawkins is Kemp. That's a beast MVP type comparison. A guy that gets national attention/All-Star consideration.

I'm also not counting pitching prospects since the Sox havent had problems devolving those guys, it's the impact bats they can't seem to develop and haven't since Frank.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 07:17 PM)
I was excited for Beckham but his ceiling as a prospect wasnt nearly as high as Hawkins' is now. I remember hearing Beckham's MLB comp was Michael Young but Hawkins is Kemp. That's a beast MVP type comparison. A guy that gets national attention/All-Star consideration.

I'm also not counting pitching prospects since the Sox havent had problems devolving those guys, it's the impact bats they can't seem to develop and haven't since Frank.

Yeah, and Keon Barnum's comp during the draft was Ryan Howard, but I'm not going to count on either of those.

Beckham, after his ROOKIE year was voted to be the future 2B of the decade by MLB Network. That's higher praise than a prospect being compared to an above average, but not great player.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 07:27 PM)
Yeah, and Keon Barnum's comp during the draft was Ryan Howard, but I'm not going to count on either of those.

Beckham, after his ROOKIE year was voted to be the future 2B of the decade by MLB Network. That's higher praise than a prospect being compared to an above average, but not great player.

Beckham was supposed to be the next Utley, IMO.