8/18 Sox @ Royals Gamethread

soxfan49

I was laughing thinking of what Greg's rant would be with the score and Chen on the mound...

Oh, well. Thankfully internet in school was out for the last week so I didn't have to follow the games, except for catching Sale's ill-advised pitch to Perez and Wise's ill-fated bunt.

Not sure if Youkilis has earned that option yet. So many questions about this team (Beckham, for one) now and and going forward, but, no matter what happens, it has still been a fun season to follow, and 100X better than the purgatory/hell we were in last year.

The Royals, ever since 2005-06-08, have just played us tough every year. Maybe it's revenge for how we absolutely owned them from maybe 1993-2008.

Living in KC from 96-05, I always used to be amazed when the Royals would beat the Sox at Kauffman.

And at least we took down the Jays, even though they were reeling and missing some of their key hitters.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
Can the Sox pitchers please stop letting Butler hurt them on fastballs? Seems like the scouting report is way off for a few of the KC guys.

DJ and Farmer were really laying into him (Butler) for his antics when he hit the homer and Lorenzo Cain "applauding" AJ for making a throw on a steal turn into a relatively close play at 2nd when the pitcher did a poor job of holding him at 1st.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 08:25 PM)
No way can you pick up Youk's option right now caulfield

That's what I've been saying the whole time. You can't count on him to be a consistent threat if he's not spending a whole lot of time at DH/1b. He's better than Morel, as long as we're not paying for it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 07:27 PM)
That's what I've been saying the whole time. You can't count on him to be a consistent threat if he's not spending a whole lot of time at DH/1b. He's better than Morel, as long as we're not paying for it.

He can't hit on the road this year. .182 avg. .278 OBP and a .578 OPS.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 08:32 PM)

His numbers are carried by a couple of really big HR's that he's hit for the ChiSox this year. His OBP and batting average aren't great even for the Sox, but he's nailed a couple HR that have been huge for us.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 19, 2012 -> 01:32 AM)

Youk was a godsend for the Sox this year, but I hope some other team gives him a lot of money for a multi-year deal this offseason and the Sox go in another direction (not Morel).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 19, 2012 -> 01:33 AM)
And at least the Tigers are knocking the O's back.

Now we have to worry about the always-lurking Rays, maybe the A's and the Angels surely will have at least one last charge left in them.

For the wild card, I feel it will come down to 2 of this 3 to make it: White Sox, Tampa and Anaheim. The A's have an impossible schedule in September, and I don't think the Orioles have the pitching to make it.

I can't wait to here Marty all offseason if we don't bring back Peavy/AJ/Youk (of course, the Angels aren't exactly taking off with Greinke, are they?)...how this was our last good chance because of the Tigers' dynasty, etc.

And then Greg, instead of Ozzie topics, will be repeating how the Royals kept us out of the playoffs. At least he's happy I bet with Wise back.

Should be great fun.

On a positive note, Santiago seems to have rediscovered whatever he lost, but he's still pitching a bit tentatively and not quite sure if he has the stuff to go right after hitters and fell into that nibbling/high pitch count thing yesterday.

But it seems he was throwing some version of the screwball/change-up fairly effectively.

Still he definitely has to be looked at as a legit 5th starter option for 2012.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 19, 2012 -> 01:36 AM)
I can't wait to here Marty all offseason if we don't bring back Peavy/AJ/Youk (of course, the Angels aren't exactly taking off with Greinke, are they?)...how this was our last good chance because of the Tigers' dynasty, etc.

And then Greg, instead of Ozzie topics, will be repeating how the Royals kept us out of the playoffs.

Should be great fun.

If the Sox go out and win all 7 remaining games vs the Tigers this year, then no one will care about the KC games.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 08:36 PM)

And then Greg, instead of Ozzie topics, will be repeating how the Royals kept us out of the playoffs.

Should be great fun.

The only one that is a huge deal to bring back is AJ, as it stands now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2012 -> 01:38 AM)
The only one that is a huge deal to bring back is AJ, as it stands now.

Yep, no way in the world should they pick up Peavy and Youk's options. I'd much rather KW have some flexibility this offseason.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 08:40 PM)
Yep, no way in the world should they pick up Peavy and Youk's options. I'd much rather KW have some flexibility this offseason.

They can be brought back, but neither one of them should hit the option prices. But blah.