Beckham having a rough second half

shago

Think a year in the minors might be a great thing for him next year ... career going nowhere.

Gordon Beckham, 2B, CHW

News: White Sox second baseman Gordon Beckham went hitless again Sunday against the Royals, which was the fifth time in six games he was held without a hit. Beckham is batting just .167 in August and .170 in 33 games since the All-Star break. He has just two homers, five doubles and six RBI in that 33-game span.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenny's biggest off-season priority should be upgrading at second. This will be Gordon's final year on the South Side. He's proven mentally incapable of hitting the ball consistently. New Coach, New Hitting coach (who's done wonders with other players mind you) and the same results.

He needs a fresh start somewhere else. Like the NL.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
Kenny's biggest off-season priority should be upgrading at second. This will be Gordon's final year on the South Side. He's proven mentally incapable of hitting the ball consistently. New Coach, New Hitting coach (who's done wonders with other players mind you) and the same results.

He needs a fresh start somewhere else. Like the NL.

KW should upgrade at 2B but I'd hate to let Gordon go. He'd be a perfect utility infielder for the Sox.

So, while we have Gordon under control for 3 years, we should just dump him instead of seeing if he can fix his issues in the minors?

The guy is the best fielding 2B in the league. If they can send him down to the minors, fix his problems, then he hits .270 with his defense, we'd all love him. That's not out of the realm of possibility.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
He will be fine

As long as you are simply talking about in life and in general while getting paid an MLB salary to be a career backup/utility infielder, then yeah, he'll be fine?

He is, however, a top ten draft pick bust.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
So, while we have Gordon under control for 3 years, we should just dump him instead of seeing if he can fix his issues in the minors?

The guy is the best fielding 2B in the league. If they can send him down to the minors, fix his problems, then he hits .270 with his defense, we'd all love him. That's not out of the realm of possibility.

I'm sorry but it is. It's been three years and he's shown zero signs of breaking out of this funk. It's mental and the only thing that's gonna change him is a new team. I firmly believe that.

I also don't think demoting him to utility player will do much for that fragile psyche of his. At least not in Chicago....

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
As long as you are simply talking about in life and in general while getting paid an MLB salary to be a career backup/utility infielder, then yeah, he'll be fine?

He is, however, a top ten draft pick bust.

Hey, at least he made the MLB and has been largely a (ever so slightly) positive value player. We hoped for more, but he's still pretty young anyway. That entire draft is littered with "busts." I'd say make him a utility guy, but he might be too expensive to make it worth that.

Anyways, this thread should really be entitled "Beckham having a rough career"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
Player A .234 Ave, 11HR, 48 RBI, .670 OPS -0.3 WAR

Player B .223 Ave, 11HR, 42 RBI, .624 OPS -0.6 WAR

Anyone ready to call Eric Hosmer a bust?

Player B also has 787 more AB's and is 3 years older. So yeah, Gordon is a big time bust. Hosmer? Not yet...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
Player A .234 Ave, 11HR, 48 RBI, .670 OPS -0.3 WAR

Player B .223 Ave, 11HR, 42 RBI, .624 OPS -0.6 WAR

Anyone ready to call Eric Hosmer a bust?

Gordon Beckham, 26 in one month, hasn't hit a lick in 3+ season, has a a sub-.700, falling OPS in each as well (.695, .633, .624).

Eric Hosmer, 23 in two months, struggling for first time ever.

Yup, completely comparable times in their lives and careers.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
Gordon Beckham, 26 in one month, hasn't hit a lick in 3+ season, has a a sub-.700, falling OPS in each as well (.695, .633, .624).

Eric Hosmer, 23 in two months, struggling for first time ever.

Yup, completely comparable times in their lives and careers.

How about Alex Gordon?

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
I'm sorry but it is. It's been three years and he's shown zero signs of breaking out of this funk. It's mental and the only thing that's gonna change him is a new team. I firmly believe that.

I also don't think demoting him to utility player will do much for that fragile psyche of his. At least not in Chicago....

How on Earth do you know it's mental? If it was mental, then why doesn't he take that bad offense onto the field?

His bat is too slow and attempts to make it faster have failed. That's a physical issue and he can't magically be faster without some assistance.

If you're a player Soxtalk HASN'T said its time to move away from, you are in a huge minority.

I still think Beckham will hit. He's had some stretches where he's been good, he's also been awful and he's been unlucky. 2010 was a bad year overall, but he was really good the second have before he broke his thumb. Its all in his mind. The talent is there, the frustration IMO keeps him from busting out. I'd keep him around at least one more year. His glove alone has saved the Sox some games.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
How on Earth do you know it's mental? If it was mental, then why doesn't he take that bad offense onto the field?

His bat is too slow and attempts to make it faster have failed. That's a physical issue and he can't magically be faster without some assistance.

He's thinking too much at the plate. That slows you down. When he's going well, his bat is plenty quick enough.