Sox vs Miami 2013

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 06:01 AM)
If it's at the cell I'd definitely be there and would get great pleasure in booing that asshole out of the stadium.

Can you PLEASE enlighten me why you would boo the manager of our only WS title team in a zillion years (provided we don't win it this year)? You don't think the nation would think Sox fans are ungrateful animals?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 01:35 AM)
Can you PLEASE enlighten me why you would boo the manager of our only WS title team in a zillion years (provided we don't win it this year)? You don't think the nation would think Sox fans are ungrateful animals?

I'm sure the nation would be like "huh, you know, he left as an asshole."

Pathetic. A WS title isn't a license to be a complete and utter dickhead.

If I happen to attend a Sox-Marlins game, I won't boo Ozzie but I damn sure won't hit my feet to give him a standing ovation. He's just gone and it was time he was gone. Let him come back in 2025 for the anniversary and I might clap then.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 03:40 AM)
If I happen to attend a Sox-Marlins game, I won't boo Ozzie but I damn sure won't hit my feet to give him a standing ovation. He's just gone and it was time he was gone. Let him come back in 2025 for the anniversary and I might clap then.

Agreed. Buehrle is the only one I'd give a standing O for. I wouldn't boo or cheer Ozzie. Pretty much just "Meh.. I'm getting a beer" when he's announced.

Wasn't a wiseguy, just trying to figure it out.

• 20 interleague games per team.

• No more than one interleague series per day in April and over the last five weeks.

• No more than one road interleague series per team in the final five weeks.

• Division-by-division matchups rotate annually.

• Every team in a division will play the same five teams in a corresponding division in the other league, plus four "rivalry" games.

• Only four "rivalry" games per team, likely played home-and-home and back-to-back in this format: Monday-Tuesday in one park, Wednesday-Thursday in the other.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/rumbli...right-direction

So ESPN is saying that it's 5 series against a division and then four games against a rivalry team. Either one of those five series is a four-gamer, or ESPN is bad at math.

I doubt the rest of the nation would even notice or care.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
I will be sad if Sox fans boo Ozzie. Hopefully the games will be in Miami. Although I could see some rabid fans going to razz Ozzie. Just cheer him, folks, and we'll all be happy. Stay classy. If Ozzie gets booed heavily Chicago will be the laughingstock of the nation. You'd be booing a man who engineered the city's first WS title since what, 1917? It would be the biggest "what?" moment for the nation perhaps in the history of sports. Booing the man who helped us win the rarest of rarities, a WS title.

I guess my reasoning could change if Sox win the WS this year, but that's the only way it would not be a total embarrassment to the great city of Chicago.

Here we go again. Ozzie did everything right for one season, and the Sox won the World Series. By the end of his tenure here, Ozzie was a bumbling, loud-mouth, fight-picking lame excuse for a manager. And he QUIT! Oh, and in case you didn't notice he's not doing much better in Miami...you know, where he ran to. That being said, I doubt he'll get booed, at least not by the majority of the fans. I assume you'll hear polite applause with some boos mixed in. I personally wouldn't boo him, but I wouldn't cheer either. I'd be flagging down the beer vendor. To me, Ozzie is the manager for another team now.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)
Ozzie will be booed for his antics not because of his managing.

Even better than booing him, would be absolute silence. That would be the worst punishment of all for Ozzie Guillen. He thrives off of attention. Much like my four year old having a meltdown for no particular reason, bad attention is better than no attention at all.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 06:37 AM)
So ESPN is saying that it's 5 series against a division and then four games against a rivalry team. Either one of those five series is a four-gamer, or ESPN is bad at math.

The are right. The four gamer is a home and home of two games each.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 07:35 AM)
Even better than booing him, would be absolute silence. That would be the worst punishment of all for Ozzie Guillen. He thrives off of attention. Much like my four year old having a meltdown for no particular reason, bad attention is better than no attention at all.

This is actually a great point.

Sox vs Miami 2013

If they are in fact playing (in Chicago), and I do Chicago sports media for a living, then I'm writing my column now and enjoying my Memorial Day Weekend to the fullest in 2013.

I don't feel as strongly one way or the other about Ozzie. I probably would have preferred it if he didn't go out swinging like he did, but it was kind of obvious that it wasn't going to end any differently- probably as early as the day he got hired. I'm not going to waste my breath booing him or throwing batteries at him like some people probably want to do, because what's the point? There were good times to go along with the bad times. I went to watch the Marlins at Wrigley the day Buehrle started- it wasn't anything extraordinary, but I would go out of my way to attend if he starts at The Cell.

It would probably be more interesting to watch Zambrano go at Wrigley Field. That's a s***-show that I would love to witness and revel in firsthand. It would be special. I was bummed when I found out he wasn't going to pitch here in that series a few weeks ago.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
Ozzie Jr tweeted that the Marlins will face the Sox, on May 24th-26th.

Ugh, can you imagine the Cowley columns leading up to that series? How many unnamed player/former player/former people close to the club house (the Guillen kids) will come out of the wood works to tell us how the team doesn't respect Robin/Coop/KW the way they did Ozzie.

How many words will he use to remind us, AGAIN, how much we miss him on the south side. How many times will Ozzie defend himself, bash the organization, cry about the way he was treated, but then profess how he loves Chicago, will always be a white sox, and wish them nothing but success.

I still love Ozzie, but that entire circus couldn't have ended sooner for me. I really dread that series.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)
If they are in fact playing (in Chicago), and I do Chicago sports media for a living, then I'm writing my column now and enjoying my Memorial Day Weekend to the fullest in 2013.

I don't feel as strongly one way or the other about Ozzie. I probably would have preferred it if he didn't go out swinging like he did, but it was kind of obvious that it wasn't going to end any differently- probably as early as the day he got hired. I'm not going to waste my breath booing him or throwing batteries at him like some people probably want to do, because what's the point? There were good times to go along with the bad times. I went to watch the Marlins at Wrigley the day Buehrle started- it wasn't anything extraordinary, but I would go out of my way to attend if he starts at The Cell.

It would probably be more interesting to watch Zambrano go at Wrigley Field. That's a s***-show that I would love to witness and revel in firsthand. It would be special. I was bummed when I found out he wasn't going to pitch here in that series a few weeks ago.

Buehrle will throw something like a one hit shutout against the Sox. He is the exact pitcher they can't hit.

Just a few hypothetical quotes from Cowley's inevitable column next year:

"This week the only manager to win a world series for an otherwise hapless organization returns to the south side of Chicago. Not to unveil a statute in his honor, which is obviously deserves, but to manage against his former team."

"A source familiar with the situation revealed to me that "The players know Coop is the real manager, and that Robin is just Kenny's lapdog." "They had a lot more respect for Ozzie's no nonsense approach."

"In an exclusive to the Suntimes, Guillen opened up about his departure from the organization he loyally served as a player and manager for nearly 20 years. "It was total bull****." Guilled said. "They turn they back on me and I lead them to a world series. All I ask was for permission to run my team. I just be honest with them and tell them they suck. A lot of guys in that clubhouse betray me and betray what we build here. They can kiss my ass." "I love Jerry, Jerry always be a like a father to me. I am the real Chicago strong. I always be a white sox and always love this organization"

Don't count Guillen among those impressed with the White Sox surprising season in 2012. "Listen, Robin like a brother to me. I love Robin. But there is no way Robin a better manager than Ozzie Guillen. He got lucky three guys play the way they supposed to. Ozzie Guillen can't hit for Adam Dunn or Alex Rios, he can't pitch for Peavy, those guys play the way they suppose to then Ozzie Guillen still manager of the Chicago White Sox." "That is no disrespect for Robin, that is just the truth."

Sorry just needed to run through that exercise. I feel so dirty.

Marlins will be coming to Chicago

We don't usually start hearing about the next year's schedule until mid-September. Did MLB get the schedule done earlier this year or did a Guillen offspring's big fat mouth just leak information earlier than he was supposed to?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
We don't usually start hearing about the next year's schedule until mid-September. Did MLB get the schedule done earlier this year or did a Guillen offspring's big fat mouth just leak information earlier than he was supposed to?

It's probably the Red Sox playing Miami, but the Guillens are too self-centered to realize there is a second Sox team in MLB.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)

That's a fair stance IMO.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
Here we go again. Ozzie did everything right for one season, and the Sox won the World Series. By the end of his tenure here, Ozzie was a bumbling, loud-mouth, fight-picking lame excuse for a manager. And he QUIT! Oh, and in case you didn't notice he's not doing much better in Miami...you know, where he ran to. That being said, I doubt he'll get booed, at least not by the majority of the fans. I assume you'll hear polite applause with some boos mixed in. I personally wouldn't boo him, but I wouldn't cheer either. I'd be flagging down the beer vendor. To me, Ozzie is the manager for another team now.

That's what I think people should do. Just sit there and watch the game. Why make it ugly?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)
Buehrle will throw something like a one hit shutout against the Sox. He is the exact pitcher they can't hit.

Yeah, he is Bruce Chen times 10. He'll mow down the White Sox.