Sox vs Miami 2013

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
Junk-ballin lefty with a good change up? That is the kind of guy that gives the Sox fits.

Maybe the rest of the Sox, but not Tank. I was questioning your one hit shutout prediction, Tank would get a couple hits and drive in a run, maybe a homer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
Well, except he didn't want to leave the team... He came back to the Sox and asked them to make him an offer. Jerry told him to go to Miami.

Because the Sox couldn't & wouldn't offer anywhere near the amount of money that Miami did. Mark wasn't gonna accept the much lower offer from the Sox, it was time to get paid.

QUOTE (McDude @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
Buehrle a standing ovation? Nah, don't care about people who want to leave the team.

Wouldn't it be great if that day he was scheduled to pitch, everybody was given a free Buehrle T shirt like on a white out game? Or blackout game? And everybody wore it? Sox are too cheap probably to do that, but maybe a sponsor would pay for the Tshirts. That would be total class of the Sox fans to all wear their Buehrle jerseys/T shirts. We could throw Sale against him and root for a 2-2 tie through eight innings, then a walkoff Sox blast off a reliever in the ninth to win it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
& shouldn't.

Agreed 100%. My point being that while the Sox didn't technically offer him a contract, it's not like Mark had no say in the matter. While he wanted to stay with the Sox, once Miami offered those mega bucks, he couldn't say no. If the Sox had offered him the best possible contract they could, I doubt he stays in Chicago anyway.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
Agreed 100%. My point being that while the Sox didn't technically offer him a contract, it's not like Mark had no say in the matter. While he wanted to stay with the Sox, once Miami offered those mega bucks, he couldn't say no. If the Sox had offered him the best possible contract they could, I doubt he stays in Chicago anyway.

He might have, unless it was ridiculous.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
Well, except he didn't want to leave the team... He came back to the Sox and asked them to make him an offer. Jerry told him to go to Miami.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
The chairman himself told mark to take the money.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)

They werent going to make a serious offer to him after Miami's. I dont fault him at all, in fact I know firsthand that he was heartbroken to leave the Sox.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
They werent going to make a serious offer to him after Miami's. I dont fault him at all, in fact I know firsthand that he was heartbroken to leave the Sox.

I understand the particulars of the situation and can't blame him, but there is one thing that bothered me. Thinking back to everything that Mark ever said or other people said about him, chasing the money from a mediocre team who is a 50/50 bet to trade you doesn't sound like him at all. it was always about the baseball, about his family, about being comfortable, and this decision was the complete opposite.

He doesn't owe Sox fans a damn thing, just like the fans don't owe him, but I just thought it was very surprising and a bit hypocritical.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
The chairman himself told mark to take the money.

Then he gave him the Steve Miller's band greatest hits singing "Go on take the money and run."

Edited by Soxfest