Sox vs Miami 2013

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
I understand the particulars of the situation and can't blame him, but there is one thing that bothered me. Thinking back to everything that Mark ever said or other people said about him, chasing the money from a mediocre team who is a 50/50 bet to trade you doesn't sound like him at all. it was always about the baseball, about his family, about being comfortable, and this decision was the complete opposite.

He doesn't owe Sox fans a damn thing, just like the fans don't owe him, but I just thought it was very surprising and a bit hypocritical.

He stated he was willing to play for the Sox for less. They did not make him any offer. To think it's hypocritical is confusing to me because there was nothing he turned down. They told him to leave. Also, rewinding 9 months, the bad team was supposed to be the Sox, the contender, Miami. It didn't quite work out that way.

Even if Buerhle left for the money, no one should blame him. He didn't. He went where they offered him a job. Sure the Sox would have taken him back at some price point, but he was told to take Miami's money and never given an offer. If the choice is $58 million for 4 years to pitch in Miami vs. nothing, I believe everyone on this board would take the $58 million.

Reinsdorf basically told him they couldn't afford to offer him that kind of contract...that he'd be crazy not to take the money, more or less.

PHILADELPHIA -- Ozzie Guillen isn't quite sure how he will feel when he returns to U.S. Cellular Field for the first time next May. But the Marlins' skipper is looking forward to it.

Major League Baseball released its schedule for 2013 on Wednesday afternoon, and Guillen's return to Chicago on May 24-26 is arguably Miami's most intriguing Interleague series.

Guillen played for the White Sox from his rookie season in 1985 until '97, and he managed them from 2004 until last season, winning a World Series title in '05. Guillen still lives in Chicago and has a lot of friends there.

"Going there, how I'm going to feel? I don't know," Guillen said before Wednesday's series finale against the Phillies, an hour after the schedule was released. "It might feel weird. Obviously, I grew up in that ballpark. It's like you go to your old house. I grew up there. I have a lot of great memories there. I have a lot of very bad memories there, everything involved."

Guillen will have to wait until the day comes to know how he will respond emotionally. He returned to Chicago to face the Cubs on July 17-19, but that was different.

"You never know," he said. "Maybe I don't even care. Maybe I start crying. I don't know. Maybe I'm nervous. ... To me, I have to wait for that day to know exactly how I'm going to feel about it. I did it before as a player. But we'll see."

www.mlb.com

Edited by caulfield12