Will Konerko pass Thomas for all-time Sox HR lead?

southsider2k5

Sox homer poll  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Will PK pass Frank Thomas for all time Sox homer lead?

• Yes, he will pass him in 2013
    • Yes, he will resign with the Sox and pass him in 2014
    • Nope. Frank will stay on top.
    • I do not like green eggs and ham

I'm not sure. I voted for yes in 2013, but I worked through the math too quick. He'd have to hit another 8-10 this year to have a chance. It's possible, but he'd be much more likely to do it in 2014 if he returned. So, what does Paulie do if he has another year like 2012 in 2013? I'd love to see him retire as a White Sox, and maybe that's whatb will happen after next year.

So that begs another question. Who is the future 1st baseman for the Sox? Is there anyone in the minors who could be that guy?

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
I'm not sure. I voted for yes in 2013, but I worked through the math too quick. He'd have to hit another 8-10 this year to have a chance. It's possible, but he'd be much more likely to do it in 2014 if he returned. So, what does Paulie do if he has another year like 2012 in 2013? I'd love to see him retire as a White Sox, and maybe that's whatb will happen after next year.

So that begs another question. Who is the future 1st baseman for the Sox? Is there anyone in the minors who could be that guy?

Maybe Viciedo. Hopefully Mitchell, Walker, and Thompson are in the outfield in a couple years. Maybe Keon Barnum at 1b in 4 years, if we're lucky.

I figure that after Paulie is gone, Dunn and Viciedo are the 1B/DH in some combination, though Viciedo has been much better in LF than I was expecting so maybe he can stick there.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
I figure that after Paulie is gone, Dunn and Viciedo are the 1B/DH in some combination, though Viciedo has been much better in LF than I was expecting so maybe he can stick there.

Yeah, I have no problem with what Dayan has done this year in LF. He has way exceeded my expectations. Unless the young OF crew moves him to 1B, I have no problems with him out there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
Yeah, I have no problem with what Dayan has done this year in LF. He has way exceeded my expectations. Unless the young OF crew moves him to 1B, I have no problems with him out there.

Yeah, he's more athletic than I thought, and he's still pretty raw out there. And stereotypically, isn't he kinda short for a 1B?

Before all the injuries and major slumpage this season, I would have said yes in 2013, but he'd have to finish strong this season and have a hell of a contract year (certainly a possibility) to reach 449. But I think the Sox will resign him anyway and he'll break it.

I also think he has an outside chance at 500 should he decide to keep playing another 5-6 years, although those years wont all be for the Sox...

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)

Dan Black! Kind of half teal, he is my AAP so I'm rooting for him to go on a tear.

:gosox3:

Edited by balfanman

Its amazing to see so many people writing him off when he is almost having an identical season to the one he had last year. I don't think his numbers will fall off that much. His power numbers may have dipped, but he is a pretty consistent hitter in general. The only thing stopping him from surpassing Frank is if he decides to hang it up after next season. He will probably end next season around 440.