Carlos Sanchez promoted to AAA

southsider2k5

QUOTE (spiderman @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
Is he a legitimate "top prospect" or the best one in a low ranked minor league system? What is his major league position going to be, and how far away is he? Is he an OBP guy, power hitter?

He's a batting average guy. He's not a legit top prospect. If everything goes well, he could pencil in as a decent major leaguer. His biggest flaw is probably that he's lacking power, but he's also very very young, and the difference between 0 HR and 10 HR is pretty large. He isn't expected to excel at being a speed guy or a defense guy, so he needs to hit.

But...if he were to start playing some 2b or 3b, right now the Sox look to have needs at either of those positions. He's so young it's difficult to see him doing anything but spending most of next year in the minors, but if he keeps hitting >.300, he'll wind up in the majors at some point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
He's a batting average guy. He's not a legit top prospect. If everything goes well, he could pencil in as a decent major leaguer. His biggest flaw is probably that he's lacking power, but he's also very very young, and the difference between 0 HR and 10 HR is pretty large. He isn't expected to excel at being a speed guy or a defense guy, so he needs to hit.

But...if he were to start playing some 2b or 3b, right now the Sox look to have needs at either of those positions. He's so young it's difficult to see him doing anything but spending most of next year in the minors, but if he keeps hitting >.300, he'll wind up in the majors at some point.

I agree with most of this, though reports on his 2B and 3B defense I've seen are very positive. He was initially a shortstop. Otherwise, yeah, that's the ticket.

I said it in PHT, I am betting Sanchez is in AAA in 2013, and they give Gordon one more long look at 2B. If his performance this August and September, and first half next year, are a significant improvement (in terms of offense), he keeps the job. If not, Sanchez gets the call, and Gordo becomes a utility IF.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
I agree with most of this, though reports on his 2B and 3B defense I've seen are very positive. He was initially a shortstop. Otherwise, yeah, that's the ticket.

I said it in PHT, I am betting Sanchez is in AAA in 2013, and they give Gordon one more long look at 2B. If his performance this August and September, and first half next year, are a significant improvement (in terms of offense), he keeps the job. If not, Sanchez gets the call, and Gordo becomes a utility IF.

Good point. I'm not saying he'll be Konerko on defense, I'm just not expecting him to be Cal Ripken with the glove. He could fill in as an average 2b or 3b and be very useful to this team.

Fair?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
Good point. I'm not saying he'll be Konerko on defense, I'm just not expecting him to be Cal Ripken with the glove. He could fill in as an average 2b or 3b and be very useful to this team.

Fair?

Wasn't trying to make it a thing, just pointing out that his defense may turn out to be pretty good. I haven't seen any indication it is likely to be bad.

Also, weird reference... Konerko? He was actually an above average defensive player until recently, and he's still OK at 1B. Or did you mean if Konerko played 2B? 'Cause yeah, that would be ugly.

Not shocked here. He was eating up AA pitching. Might as well see what he looks like for a couple of weeks against AAA.

Hard to project him at this point. Consider that he turned 20 on June 29th... and that he began last year in Bristol. Hell... two years ago he was playing in the Dominican League.

I'm guessing KW saw something about Sanchez he liked in his recent scouting road trip.

Edited by scenario

He seems like a good number 2 hitter. Gordon's gotta feel the pressure a little. I like the way he plays defense, but if Sanchez is good with the glove and can hit .280, I don't see how the Sox can not go with him over Beckham next year. Not right away, but if Beckham blows like he has the first half, he's in trouble. Even if it is an empty .280 AVG, that looks way better at what is currently in the 9th spot.

Sanchez also has 41 walks on the year, which is pretty amazing for a Latin player who literally turned 20 on June 29th.

I get the power numbers are low, but this is a guy who should probably be in Kannapolis based on his age. He's already displayed a plus hit tool, an above-average eye (given his age), and reports say he is a very good defensive 2B.

This kid will probably begin 2013 in AAA as a 20 year old. Maybe his power don't improve much, there's no way to really know, but I would expect his walk rates and defense to get even better time.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 02:41 AM)
That is just a copout answer... sometimes you either have it or dont.

He turned 20 less than 2 months ago. It's hardly inconceivable that he'll add some power.

Even if he doesn't, that doesn't mean he can't be productive.

I read an article yesterday comparing him to Luis Castillo. His minor league SB numbers don't suggest he has that speed but those are not always indicative of that. I know I'd take a Castillo-like player for several years