Carlos Sanchez promoted to AAA

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 06:05 AM)
Sanchez also has 41 walks on the year, which is pretty amazing for a Latin player who literally turned 20 on June 29th.

I get the power numbers are low, but this is a guy who should probably be in Kannapolis based on his age. He's already displayed a plus hit tool, an above-average eye (given his age), and reports say he is a very good defensive 2B.

This kid will probably begin 2013 in AAA as a 20 year old. Maybe his power don't improve much, there's no way to really know, but I would expect his walk rates and defense to get even better time.

The bolded is big, to me. He obviously has a strong hit tool, K rate is reasonable, and seems like he's got the potential to be good defensively. The ability to draw walks on top of a good average would push him over the top. He may in fact be a nice leadoff hitter, if he keeps up his trends.

But I still think he needs to start 2013 in AAA, both to give Beckham another chance (with his talent, I'm just not quick to give up yet), and to allow Sanchez to develop. The guy is 20 years old, there is no huge rush here.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
But I still think he needs to start 2013 in AAA, both to give Beckham another chance (with his talent, I'm just not quick to give up yet), and to allow Sanchez to develop. The guy is 20 years old, there is no huge rush here.

I agree on this. Beckham will probably be in the $2 - $3 million salary range next year. Let him start the season as your 2B and go from there. We should have both Sanchez & Saladino at AAA next season, so we've got two options in case Beckham continues to underperform. Worst case scenario, one of those guys comes up after a couple months of seasoning at AAA and Beckham becomes a very solid UT.

This is another prospect that we're better off taking our time with. Let him work on things like his eye, finding his power tool, refining defense, etc before getting to the MLB where it will likely be an all hands on deck approach just to survive.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 12:48 AM)
So the doubles and triples are fine just only 1 HR is a bit alarming given he is 4th in hits. Has anyone actually seen Sanchez play at all?

Haven't been out to see the Barons while he was with them. I should be able to see Trayce next weekend.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 08:00 AM)
Wish we can get some more scouting in his defense, seem there's huge misinformation in that department.

If you look carefully at who has said what, no one has said bad things about this defense. I have seen a few good things about his 2B and 3B defense, and some people who seem non-commital. Goldstein is in the latter category.

Also, some of these analyst types (like Goldstein) that are not actually scouts, often tend to ignore or sideline defense considerations, talking purely about offense. Who knows what he meant in that tweet.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
If you look carefully at who has said what, no one has said bad things about this defense. I have seen a few good things about his 2B and 3B defense, and some people who seem non-commital. Goldstein is in the latter category.

Also, some of these analyst types (like Goldstein) that are not actually scouts, often tend to ignore or sideline defense considerations, talking purely about offense. Who knows what he meant in that tweet.

Not only is it really not easy to judge defense of a single guy based on seeing him only 1 or 2 times...the dude's been moved around a lot, so his defense probably depends on his position.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Derek Jeter was drafted out of high school, and he did not show any power in his first two years in org ball. Now he's a threat to get 4000 hits in MLB. Give the kid a chance.

Jeter was the #6 overall pick in his draft. This isn't Mark Buehrle we are talking about.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Derek Jeter was drafted out of high school, and he did not show any power in his first two years in org ball. Now he's a threat to get 4000 hits in MLB. Give the kid a chance.

side note: how depressing that basically every career turnaround made since the late 80s has to be taken with a grain of salt as far as being natural performance.

Are we at the point where the guys who turn their careers around dramatically are just automatically users, and those who just always sucked were the clean ones? Maybe not in reality, but in perception...it's getting there

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)

Goldstein doesn't ignore defense.

Derek Jeter, for the record, hit four HRs in 244 PAs in rookie ball at 18.

At 19, he hit 5 in nearly 600 plate appearances in the Sally League, low A.

At 20, he hit 5 in 617 plate appearance in high A, AA and AAA.

At 21, he hit 2 in 558 plate appearances in Columbus before finishing the season in New York

that is 16 HRs in more than 2,000 minor league plate appearances.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
side note: how depressing that basically every career turnaround made since the late 80s has to be taken with a grain of salt as far as being natural performance.

Are we at the point where the guys who turn their careers around dramatically are just automatically users, and those who just always sucked were the clean ones? Maybe not in reality, but in perception...it's getting there

I didn't read anything in the comments suggesting someone was using.

I read it as low power at young age doesn't equate to low potential.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
Why was Sanchez moved to SS? Maybe they are trying to boost his trade value, still think the Sox would like to get out of the Ramirez contract.

Nah. Likely they're just seeing what he's capable of defensively. Young infielders can crack a major league roster faster if they can play multiple positions.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
Nah. Likely they're just seeing what he's capable of defensively. Young infielders can crack a major league roster faster if they can play multiple positions.

And they already have Morel playing 3rd, plus Jose Lopez they want to get AB's for.