Bowden/Law/Olney rank Sox 21st in Future Power Ratings

caulfield12

which is supposed to look at the current major league roster, minor league depth/talent, finances, management and "organizational mobility."

Tigers were highest in AL Central, at 13th.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120823/SPOR...-Power-Rankings

Unfortunately, ESPN INsider article so no way to quote any of the particulars on the White Sox future. (And, on the plus side, things are even bleaker for the Royals, Twins and Indians, there's that at least).

The top five: Rangers, Yankees, Cardinals, Angels and Blue Jays (yay for AA, and no surprise with Keith Law involved and despite the fact that so much of their pitching depth has been wiped out by injury).

You have to wonder how well off that veteran Yankees' roster will be a couple of years from now, and the Angels already have Vernon Wells, they have to worry about Pujols declining...on the other hand, Trout is the ace in the hole, but we'll see if he can repeat his success in the dreaded sophomore campaign.

Edited by caulfield12

With the Dunn and Danks contracts, we do have SOMEWHAT limited financial mobility, but it's 100X better than last offseason.

We jettisoned the Santos deal. Peavy off the books soon, after the buyout. Rios and Dunn situations looking MUCH better. Still have to figure out what to do with AJP and Youkilis. Floyd's another dilemma...picking up his option and trading him. Whether we want to be "stuck" with Floyd at $9.5 million.

Can or do we make an attempt to keep Liriano? If Santiago's figuring into the starting mix for 2013, having 4 lefty starters would be a bit troublesome.

What do we do with Humber going forward? Beckham? Morel?

With the Dunn and Danks contracts, we do have SOMEWHAT limited financial mobility, but it's 100X better than last offseason.

We jettisoned the Santos deal. Peavy off the books soon, after the buyout. Rios and Dunn situations looking MUCH better. Still have to figure out what to do with AJP and Youkilis. Floyd's another dilemma...picking up his option and trading him?? Whether we want to be "stuck" with Floyd at $9.5 million.

Can or do we make an attempt to keep Liriano? If Santiago's figuring into the starting mix for 2013, having 4 lefty starters would be a bit troublesome.

What do we do with Humber going forward? Beckham? Morel?

Edited by caulfield12

I have ESPN Insider......

Olney said that maybe Ventura's good season is just giving Kenny more time to overhaul the 40-man roster.

Bowden said Kenny has done a great job plugging the holes we had on the major league roster with Youk, Myers, and Liriano, but he needs to add more position prospects, and they need to do that before our "firepower" gets too old.

Law said Courtney Hawkins is likely to be no better than a 4th OF, if he makes the majors, and the Sox and Kenny have yet again failed to prove they know what to do with 1st RD picks.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 08:27 PM)
Just kidding about what Law said......

He ACTUALLY said.....Hawkins is the most exciting draft position player the Sox have had come through the system in a long time. He said Hawkins gives the Sox a good chance to finally develop a homegrown impact position player since Ray Durham in 1990.

Apparently Magglio, C-Lee, Joe Crede and Aaron Rowand don't count on his list.

Not to mention Michael Morse and Chris Carter.

No doubt, Konerko/Dunn/AJP/Rios is an older core...Alexei's been slipping in the power department as well.

That's why Viciedo is so important, as well as DeAza and Trayce Thompson/Hawkins/Barnum eventually.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
Apparently Magglio, C-Lee, Joe Crede and Aaron Rowand don't count on his list.

Not to mention Michael Morse and Chris Carter.

He actually said "Or Magglio Ordonez who they signed in 2001", but I figured why even count Maggs if he was not actually drafted, so I didn't include him in my comment.

But yeah, Carlo Lee and Joe Crede came to mind for me. They were better than Ray Durham, IMO.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
Law said Courtney Hawkins is likely to be no better than a 4th OF, if he makes the majors, and the Sox and Kenny have yet again failed to prove they know what to do with 1st RD picks.

A few Law gems...

Flashback to right after the 2010 draft....

Keith, what are your thoughts on Chris Sale?

Klaw (1:25 PM) I ranked him 47th. The White Sox took him 13th. You do the math.

In his 'scouting report', Law rated Sale's slider as a '40' on his MLB Draft Grading Scale, with a projected future rating of '45'. A 40 on that scale translates to "Well below-average ability". A 45 is still below average and translates to "11th/12th men on a pitching staff".

From a later discussion...

Do you like Chris Sale's move to the rotation and where do you see him as a future starter?

Klaw (1:35 PM) No, I don't.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 10:11 PM)
A few Law gems...

In his 'scouting report', Law rated Sale's slider as a '40' on his MLB Draft Grading Scale, with a projected future rating of '45'. A 40 on that scale translates to "Well below-average ability". A 45 is still below average and translates to "11th/12th men on a pitching staff".

Do you like Chris Sale's move to the rotation and where do you see him as a future starter?

So this means Courtney Hawkins will most likely suck.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 10:11 PM)
A few Law gems...

And this is a prime example of why Keith Law doesn't work in baseball, and shouldn't.

If you want to express alarm over Sale's mechanics and thus his longevity, I can see that. Kind of. But rating Sale's slider as a 40? Sorry, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Full stop. Law working as a minor league guru for ESPN is as cushy a job that exists. When they're not farming out their minor league "analysis" to Baseball America, who the hell else is ESPN going to ask about minor league prospects? Jim Bowden? Jayson Stark? Keith Law can be a ignorant, raging dickhead all he wants because there is approximately no one at ESPN who knows jack s*** about the minor leagues.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 10:25 PM)
And this is a prime example of why Keith Law doesn't work in baseball, and shouldn't.

If you want to express alarm over Sale's mechanics and thus his longevity, I can see that. Kind of. But rating Sale's slider as a 40? Sorry, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Full stop. Law working as a minor league guru for ESPN is as cushy a job that exists. When they're not farming out their minor league "analysis" to Baseball America, who the hell else is ESPN going to ask about minor league prospects? Jim Bowden? Jayson Stark? Keith Law can be a ignorant, raging dickhead all he wants because there is approximately no one at ESPN who knows jack s*** about the minor leagues.

Curt Schilling stated yesterday that Chris Sale's arm slot actually should allow him to be more healthy, similarly to Randy Johnson.

Obviously Curt is a member of the media just as Law is, however, Schilling actually was one of the better pitchers of his era and might know a thing or two about pitching...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 10:49 PM)
Someone should ask KLaw what he thinks about Sale starting now....

He won't fess up that he was wrong. He'll just state something along the lines of how he will be hurt sooner or later.

That's true...if you look at all those pitchers who come straight over the top, most of them succumb to injury sooner or later.

PTAC might be able to support this, but I remember reading once where the shoulder is not meant to take the strain of that motion and that pitching from a 75 degree angle, parallel to the ground or Bradford-style is actually healthier for the shoulder and elbow, ceteris paribus.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 11:49 PM)
Someone should ask KLaw what he thinks about Sale starting now....

LOL. I was going to shoot him a tweet saying "Chris Sale's slider still rated a 40? Or did he finally reach that future 45 you gave him? #YoureAJoke"

But then I realized Keith Law BLOCKED ME ON TWITTER. LOL. I honestly can't even remember what I had tweeted to him before, but obviously it was bad enough that he took the time to block me, and that he actually read what I tweeted him, and it pissed him off. That's awesome.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 12:21 AM)
LOL. I was going to shoot him a tweet saying "Chris Sale's slider still rated a 40? Or did he finally reach that future 45 you gave him? #YoureAJoke"

But then I realized Keith Law BLOCKED ME ON TWITTER. LOL. I honestly can't even remember what I had tweeted to him before, but obviously it was bad enough that he took the time to block me, and that he actually read what I tweeted him, and it pissed him off. That's awesome.

:lolhitting