Robots Achieve Sentience

With this trade as well as the previous acquisitions of Hanley Ramirez, Randy Choate, Brandon League, Shane Victorino, and Joe Blanton, the Dodgers have absorbed more than $300MM in future payroll obligations in the last month or so. As Jeff Euston of Cot's Baseball Contract notes (on Twitter), the club now has a $193.75MM in contracts for next season, $133.6MM for 2014, $90MM for 2015, $88.65MM for 2015, and another $90MM for 2016. The Red Sox, on the other hand, are now on the hook for just $45.6MM in 2013, $34.4MM in 2014, $12.75MM in 2015, and $2.45MM in 2016

per www.mlbtraderumors.com

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
per www.mlbtraderumors.com

(Boston has a ton of arbitration eligible guys who they're likely to pick up though, so those numbers don't reflect how much they actually have to spend. Ellsbury is even an Arb-3 guy next year, so that's >$12 million even if they don't extend him.)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
(Boston has a ton of arbitration eligible guys who they're likely to pick up though, so those numbers don't reflect how much they actually have to spend. Ellsbury is even an Arb-3 guy next year, so that's >$12 million even if they don't extend him.)

My quote was more pointing out the ridiculous about of money that LA is picking up as well as the money they have already picked up. 300+ million? In 2 months?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
My quote was more pointing out the ridiculous about of money that LA is picking up as well as the money they have already picked up. 300+ million? In 2 months?

I keep thinking in terms of next year's FA market.

This could take the Dodgers out as likely Peavy players, but Boston is now a very likely destination for Peavy, Hamilton, etc.

I think Hamilton will stay in Texas. That guy has to know any big city high pressure situation is the worst thing for his addiction issues. If his handlers and family and agent dont recognize this, then I believe it will be a swift and dramatic fall.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
I think Hamilton will stay in Texas. That guy has to know any big city high pressure situation is the worst thing for his addiction issues. If his handlers and family and agent dont recognize this, then I believe it will be a swift and dramatic fall.

I get that...here's the counter point. Rangers are spending $120 million this year. Right now, assuming they pick up Feldman's option, they're close to...$120 million for next year with the arb guys...and that's with no Hamilton or Napoli. They're going to have to add a ton of salary to keep those guys.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
I get that...here's the counter point. Rangers are spending $120 million this year. Right now, assuming they pick up Feldman's option, they're close to...$120 million for next year with the arb guys...and that's with no Hamilton or Napoli. They're going to have to add a ton of salary to keep those guys.

For whatever reason they keep coming up with the cash. I didnt think it was possible before they ran out and grabbed Yu Darvish, but it seems like that ownership group is intent on spending with the big boys

Wherever Hamilton goes, if he goes to a big city he is probably going to hire a service like Aerosmith did to keep him away from the drugs

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 10:30 AM)
For whatever reason they keep coming up with the cash. I didnt think it was possible before they ran out and grabbed Yu Darvish, but it seems like that ownership group is intent on spending with the big boys

Wherever Hamilton goes, if he goes to a big city he is probably going to hire a service like Aerosmith did to keep him away from the drugs

If I remember correctly, the Rangers got a HUGE TV deal and that opened up the cashflow for them.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 10:30 AM)

I will volunteer to ingest and consume his share of drugs and booze when we go out with Playboy Bunnies for nights on the town.

"In this position, you have to be aggressive," Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said. "You can't be reckless, but you have to be aggressive and creative and think outside the box.

This trade is more reckless than a blindfolded Carlos Marmol bullpen session in a cramped porcelain doll factory.

But really, I love it when teams swoop in to absolve Boston of roughly 270 million in salary obligations. They're doing God's work.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)

Why would you assume they'll pick up Feldman's option? He's a terrible pitcher and is due $9.25 million. They're not going to pick it up.