Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Nick Punto to LAD

southsider2k5

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

Josh Beckett is on trade waivers now. Competing execs don't expect him to be claimed. #redsox

adrian gonzalez also on trade waivers, as @Sean_McAdam said. decent chance hed be claimed. cant see #redsox trading him tho

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)

Josh Beckett is on trade waivers now. Competing execs don't expect him to be claimed. #redsox

adrian gonzalez also on trade waivers, as @Sean_McAdam said. decent chance hed be claimed. cant see #redsox trading him tho

Dude's got 6 years and $21 million per year remaining on that contract. I dunno, if someone claimed Gonzalez, I'd think long and hard about letting him walk. Especially since Boston is already fighting the luxury tax.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
Dude's got 6 years and $21 million per year remaining on that contract. I dunno, if someone claimed Gonzalez, I'd think long and hard about letting him walk. Especially since Boston is already fighting the luxury tax.

Guess who was awarded the AGon waiver claim? The newly rich Dodgers, of course.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
Guess who was awarded the AGon waiver claim? The newly rich Dodgers, of course.

Really, I know that in Boston you can't do something like a KW style partial rebuild, but man, with how that team has gone the last 2 years, the managerial mess, Gonzalez being right in all of that, and having a down season this year/never having his SD power numbers carry over, I'd probably let him walk if I were in their shoes and didn't have to worry about selling tickets.

So he made it through the whole AL. I am kind of surprised.

The only AL team that can really afford to claim him is the Yankees, and they already have Teixeira. Plus, they had the best record in the AL at the time so claiming him wouldn't serve the purpose of blocking him from any other AL teams.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
The only AL team that can really afford to claim him is the Yankees, and they already have Teixeira. Plus, they had the best record in the AL at the time so claiming him wouldn't serve the purpose of blocking him from any other AL teams.

I'm still surprised an offensively challenged team like Seattle and Oakland didn't claim him. They just can't hitters to go out there. They'd have about five weeks of his salary this year, and then the entire off season to figure out how to shift dollars around.

I really don't understand these clubs. You have a get out of jail free card on a contract that has $127 million remaining and goes until the guy is 36. Some club claims him on waivers, and you can literally just let him walk and apply that money to multiple of positions of need this offseason.

And you stupidly are going to pull him back? F*ck saving face, get out of that awful contract!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
I really don't understand these clubs. You have a get out of jail free card on a contract that has $127 million remaining and goes until the guy is 36. Some club claims him on waivers, and you can literally just let him walk and apply that money to multiple of positions of need this offseason.

And you stupidly are going to pull him back? F*ck saving face, get out of that awful contract!

They still have two days to not screw this one up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
Really, I know that in Boston you can't do something like a KW style partial rebuild, but man, with how that team has gone the last 2 years, the managerial mess, Gonzalez being right in all of that, and having a down season this year/never having his SD power numbers carry over, I'd probably let him walk if I were in their shoes and didn't have to worry about selling tickets.

Getting nothing back in return, not even prospects, would be a tough sell on that fanbase, especially now. If these shenanigans keep up, the sellout streak might end soon.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
ESPN Radio's Jim Bowden reports the Red Sox have no intention of trading Adrian Gonzalez to the Dodgers after he was claimed on waivers.

Jim Bowden also thinks this is a fair deal......

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm

A package of Zach Lee, Allen Webster and James Loney probably gets Adrian Gonzalez doesn't it?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
Jim Bowden also retweeted this:

Blockbuster: red Sox, Dodgers working on deal that would send AGon, Crawford, Beckett and Punto to LA. Hurdles remain, but closing in

If Boston can pull this off then they out Thoe'd Thoe.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
Jim Bowden also retweeted this:

Blockbuster: red Sox, Dodgers working on deal that would send AGon, Crawford, Beckett and Punto to LA. Hurdles remain, but closing in

What the f***?! That's like a video game trade. How could that be approved by the commissioners office?

According to Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, the Red Sox are talking to the Dodgers about a deal that would send Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto to Los Angeles.

Calling this deal a "doozy" would be the understatement of the year. Edes writes that "hurdles remain," but that the two sides are "closing in" on a potential deal. There's obviously a lot of money at play with the Gonzalez, Beckett and Crawford contracts, so this would be a pretty complicated deal. It's also worth noting that Crawford just had Tommy John surgery yesterday. But it's clear the Dodgers aren't afraid to take on money.

Per Rotoworld

Boston is backing the truck up, they must want these guys gone.