Harrelson's rant front page ESPN news again...suspension pending?

caulfield12

Considering Hawk is an employee of Comcast and WGN, I don't think MLB has the authority to suspend him, and even if they did, suspending someone for calling a spade a spade is a bad precedent. I love Hawk. The one thing he does that bothers me is how he goes on and on about umpires, but I don't think he was out of line at all last night. It was ridiculous and it wasn't just one or two hitters.

IMO, the umpire really changed after he threw out AJ and Robin. Maybe he realized Robin being that pissed off is a pretty good sign you're having an awful game.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 06:28 AM)

He still doesn't have the authority to suspend him, and he really doesn't have grounds to suspend him. Punishing people for not lying is silly. Stone said the umpire was bad last night also. Should he go down.? There was ample proof the umpire was awful the first couple of innings. It wasn't Hawk's imagination. If Bud tried to suspend him, I'd like WGN to tell him to go scratch, I don't think there would be anything he could do.

As stated earlier, Selig has no authority in any broad sense to punish Hawk. That's why I'm so surprised Hawk didn't Selig to go f*** himself when Selig called Hawk a few months back.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Selig strong arms Reinsdorf in an attempt to do something.

I'm not Hawk hater...as a matter of fact, I love the idea of having a "fan" call our games. I was at the game last night, so I had to see replays in order to see what was going on, but Hawk told the truth, and punishing a broadcaster for telling the truth is stupid.

1) Hawk was right.

2) See 1.

Only thing bad about his rant is how he kept repeating the same words over and over. I guess when the talentless hack isnt reading from a script, he cant come up with good material. His ego has turned himself into a character.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
I'm not Hawk hater...as a matter of fact, I love the idea of having a "fan" call our games. I was at the game last night, so I had to see replays in order to see what was going on, but Hawk told the truth, and punishing a broadcaster for telling the truth is stupid.

1) Hawk was right.

2) See 1.

I didn't hear his rant either, as I was watching on ESPN and they were airing the Seattle commentary. But even those guys were saying it was ridiculous for AJ to be ejected in the first place.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
Only thing bad about his rant is how he kept repeating the same words over and over. I guess when the talentless hack isnt reading from a script, he cant come up with good material. His ego has turned himself into a character.

I think you're lost...you should be 8.6 miles north of here. (Edit: Was meant to be green, btw. ;))

Edited by Y2HH

"Everything that (Mariners pitcher) Blake Beavan has thrown up there that (catcher Miguel) Olivo has caught has been a strike. If he caught it, it was a strike. He's got two different strike zones. He's got a two-foot for Beavan, and he's got a 10-inch for the White Sox. What does that tell you?"

The implication of a fix will not be taken lightly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)
Or he could have just been implying that he was a s***ty umpire, which he was last night.

Or that that there is a back story where the umpire had a score to settle for past arguments. Plenty of ex-players have stories about an argument with an ump resulting in a deliberate bias against a player or team for some set period of time. Joe West is another great example.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
The rant wasn't even that bad, and it was 100% true. That was an awful home plate. You can be large, but you can't have a variability of up to a foot.

I saw the game on WGN. The home plate umpiring was terrible. As Hawk said when an ump has a large strike zone (ore a smaller one) you can put up with it as long as he is consistent. Last night he wasn't. AJ was more professsional than the ump I think. He was chirping but he wasn't looking back at the ump or anything. I thought Joyce was more agitated with Ventira than he needed to be also. Main thing is we won

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
Or that that there is a back story where the umpire had a score to settle for past arguments. Plenty of ex-players have stories about an argument with an ump resulting in a deliberate bias against a player or team for some set period of time. Joe West is another great example.

Barrett has only been a MLB umpire for 2 years, so you wouldnt think he would have developed many scores to settle like the Sox have with West. However, his first career ejection was to Cooper for arguing balls and strikes, so it very well could be

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
I think AJ let the ump off lightly. I would have said some far worse things than "You're brutal!".

but he does have to play with him, and there were kids present so...

Yeah, about that....AJ was saying "You're f***ING brutal"

Hawk was great. He told it like it is. I have seen plenty of his games where he says that the umpiring was good, uisually at end of game. Most announceers would have the ovaries to say what he said, being content to be wishy washy. The only other announcer who would do it Hawk's way is Mark Grace at Ariz, and now he is watching games, like me.

That said, after the bruhaha, I thought the umpiring was fine. Explain that, someone, please.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
Hawk was great. He told it like it is. I have seen plenty of his games where he says that the umpiring was good, uisually at end of game. Most announceers would have the ovaries to say what he said, being content to be wishy washy. The only other announcer who would do it Hawk's way is Mark Grace at Ariz, and now he is watching games, like me.

That said, after the bruhaha, I thought the umpiring was fine. Explain that, someone, please.

I honestly think Jim Joyce was saying something to the effect of "Robin, I understand he is having a bad game" so that both Barrett and Robin could hear him. Robin was super fired up and Joyce calmed him down out of nowhere, he had to say something that made Barrett stop being a douche with the strikezone. Umpires supposedly police themselves as well, so it appears something was done given the rest of the games umpiring.

49309324h7_o.jpg

And frankly, sports fans, he used a word that's a no-no with umpires...I think AJ called him a c#c&$ucker!

Regardless...that zone was brutal. I love Hawk's rants btw...but saying that hawk was implying there was a fix in is a little inane. He was insinuating he was terrible.....

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
As stated earlier, Selig has no authority in any broad sense to punish Hawk. That's why I'm so surprised Hawk didn't Selig to go f*** himself when Selig called Hawk a few months back.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Selig strong arms Reinsdorf in an attempt to do

I don't think Zelig EVER strong arms Jerry on anything. If any kind of discipline is handed out it will be because Jerry Reinsdorf himself thinks it is warranted.