8/26 Mariners at White Sox

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Rongey is talking about the possibity of MLB suspending the game and making them finish it later on.

I don't think they could (or would) do that. How is this any different than the game the Tigers lost in Boston?

But say it was the last week/day of the season and they were in this position with a close race. Could MLB say that they have to finish the game?

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 11:57 PM)
Ok, Rongey is talking about the possibity of MLB suspending the game and making them finish it later on.

I don't think they could (or would) do that. How is this any different than the game the Tigers lost in Boston?

But say it was the last week/day of the season and they were in this position with a close race. Could MLB say that they have to finish the game?

Game would be official if they call it

That's why 90% of Soxtalk would be better at that job than Rongey. We know that this game would be a complete game and would not have to be finished another day.

If the game has completed the bottom half of the 5th inning and either team is ahead, the game can be deemed an official game. The leading team is declared the winner, and the game officially counts in standings. (In some Minor League Baseball and college games, this scenario is possible only in the final game of a series.) However, if the game is rained out prior to the completion of an inning in which the visiting team scored one or more runs to take the lead, and the home team has not retaken the lead, the game is suspended, to be resumed at a later date.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
Game would be official if they call it

Agreed, but again, if this was the last day of the season with playoff implications, could MLB say they have to finish it the next day because it's too important not to?

In my opinion, all 162 games are equal and it would be tough noogies for the team that gets screwed, but Rongey made it sound as if MLB had that discretion.

Edited by flavum

The "best interests of the game" clause could supercede the official rules for rainouts?

That would be an interesting one, especially were the team that was winning in that scenario to turn around and lose...lose their spot in the playoffs, post-season shares and revenue, season ticket renewals, etc.

Agreed, but again, if this was the last day of the season with playoff implications, could MLB say they have to finish it the next day because it's too important not to?

In my opinion, all 162 games are equal and it would b tough noogies for the team that gets screwed, but Rongey made it sound as if MLB had that discretion.

No, the rules about what happens once a game is called is not subject to anybody's opinion or discretion.

Now, there's nothing stopping MLB from calling the umpires during the delay and telling them to wait as long as possible before calling the game, but once the umpires call the game that's the end.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
The "best interests of the game" clause could supercede the official rules for rainouts?

That would be an interesting one, especially were the team that was winning in that scenario to turn around and lose...lose their spot in the playoffs, post-season shares and revenue, season ticket renewals, etc.

Absolutely not. Besides, in 'the best interests of baseball" changing rules after the fact kind of ruins the point.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)
I don't think I've seen a single episode of the Batter's Box that was White Sox related. I've only ever seen Cubs ones. Do White Sox ones even exist?

They have an even number of episodes for each team. IRRC, they do a bracket, one side Sox, one side Cubs, and then they match in the finals.

If you go to CSNchicago.com you can watch episodes (they break it in to 3 parts, but it's the whole show essentially). I actually did pretty well (relative to the contestants, I still got almost half of the questions wrong).