Tyler Flowers

greg775

Folks,

Tyler Flowers has proven to me he can play in the big leagues. With limited at bats, he's still managed to pop six home runs and he's good on defense. It's not his fault he's blocked by the great AJP. Sad thing is AJP figures to sign another 2 year deal with the Sox, blocking Tyler further. This is not a rip of AJP. I want AJ to stay. I just want to see if you agree with me ... Tyler Flowers is a big-league catcher. He is not a bust.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)
Folks,

Tyler Flowers has proven to me he can play in the big leagues. With limited at bats, he's still managed to pop six home runs and he's good on defense. It's not his fault he's blocked by the great AJP. Sad thing is AJP figures to sign another 2 year deal with the Sox, blocking Tyler further. This is not a rip of AJP. I want AJ to stay. I just want to see if you agree with me ... Tyler Flowers is a big-league catcher. He is not a bust.

His bat is looking shorter and quicker every time he plays. Granted Millwood isn't overpowering but I liked what I saw today. I'd like to see a list of the pitchers he has hit this year.

So what would you do next year Greg? Can they both stay, happy to go for back to back titles?

Tyler is older and therefore a non-prospect/nobody/etc and yet he looks a thousand times better now than he did when he was supposed to be this good catching prospect. Maybe he's a player now.

He'll never have a career offensively like AJ; very few will & hopefully now people can see that. But Tyler has however earned himself a shot at regular playing time in MLB, if not here than elsewhere.

It's way too early to call anything on AJ, Meyers, Peavy, Youk, Liriano etc. as the division race + postseason will give Kenny his 2013 plan of attack. It's important to also acknowledge that Gavin, Pauile, Crain, and Thornton (2014 buyout) will be in the final years of their deals in 2013, plus the big immovable salaries of Rios and Dunn now look tradeable. Kenny could go either way this offseason. Maybe we win it all, all the vets come back, and Flowers is on a new team starting, or maybe Kenny lets teh FA go, trades a couple of the 1-year-left players, deals Rios and/or Dunn to shed a big deal, etc. and Flowers is our starter. Or maybe it ends up being a bit of both.

The important thing for Tyler though is that now he looks like he's going to get a shot at a big league career.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
Folks,

he hits two home runs. greg declares him a good player. no news here.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 11:04 PM)

This year he's made contact with a lot of balls he wouldn't have had a chance at in the past. For a bench player who doesn't see a lot of action and whose biggest problem has been contact, that's a great step forward. Maybe he's not a good player yet (too early to tell) but his improvement has been significant. For once it seems our MiLB & MLB staffs are both on the same page and making a difference. Even Jordan looks like a Major League extra OF now.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 03:48 AM)
His bat is looking shorter and quicker every time he plays. Granted Millwood isn't overpowering but I liked what I saw today. I'd like to see a list of the pitchers he has hit this year.

So what would you do next year Greg? Can they both stay, happy to go for back to back titles?

I think if AJ signs a two-year deal we should trade Flowers and give him a chance to start somewhere. Of course at AJ's age, injury is a possibility and Tyler would be great insurance.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 05:04 AM)

Wrong. I am not knee jerk as evidenced as my unpopular stances on certain players. I just have been impressed with a lot of his at bats this year. I think given 300-500 at bats, you'd probably see some good production. And he's very good defensively. I think you have me confused with somebody else, Reddy. I am not knee jerk in my opinions on players.

I'm holding on to Flowers, cause I could easily see a situation where some desperate team over pays for AJ after this career year (as much as his clubhouse issues etc.) And the sox don't (and shouldn't) try and match it.

But if AJ does resign, if you can find a good trade partner you get what you can for him.

Flowers has huge power (see last night's homerun), but he still doesn't hit for average very well. Obviously it's hard to get a good feel for how he would hit if he played everyday. I would imagine, however, he'd be a .230ish type hitter with 20+ HRs in a full season. He's fine defensively. Overall, I think he'd be an okay everyday catcher. But, I fully expect AJ to be back for at least one more year.

If there's a team that wants to make a tangible offer for Flowers to be there starter, great. If not, he sits behind AJ for two more years before he gets his chance. Maybe in 2014 when Paulie's gone, AJ can play some DH and Tyler can get more playing time.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)

Adam Wilk

Paul Maholm

Jordan Noberto

Aaron Laffey

Blake Beavan

Kevin Millwood

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)
He is certainly much better defensively (and running, for some reason) than I anticipated.

Totally the opposite of what we were told when we traded for him.

Like I said earlier, the kid has a long swing. He needs to play a bit more just to keep him going. I don't think it is any coincidence that his best streak is coming after his most regular playing time all year long.

We do get excited don't we when someone has a a good stretch or even just a few hits. Some players take time to develop and when they finally find it it is good. But, the Sox have been able to wait for Tyler Flowers to come around because of AJP. I know folks aren't dumping on AJ in this post and I am not dumping on TYyler. I hope AJP stays and so does Flowers. It would be good for both players and the Sox.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
Now Greg will never ever ever ever ever let go.

Tyler has his first Soxtalk defender.

I don't think I'll turn on the guy because he has produced pretty well in very very limited duty. I guess he could be another Brian Anderson like somebody said, but he's a pretty good backup right now. He prolly deserves a chance to start somewhere. Trade him to the Padres or somebody for some pitching just to let Tyler play?