Is Hawk one of the all time greats?

southsider2k5

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
They should be stated as such then.

Obviously it would be quite foolish of me to criticize someone for stating their opinion as fact if I was then stating my opinion as fact.

Thus, I state what it is that I enjoy about his broadcasting.

However, I suppose someone did ask NSS what he thought, so he was merely responding to a question that was asked of him.

My mistake.

How would you assume otherwise when the thread is about something that is subjective? I don't get that. We aren't talking about something that is provable in this thread. This isn't about Hawks career high in homers, it is about his broadcasting talents. Nothing about this thread is going to be factual.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)
How would you assume otherwise when the thread is about something that is subjective? I don't get that. We aren't talking about something that is provable in this thread. This isn't about Hawks career high in homers, it is about his broadcasting talents. Nothing about this thread is going to be factual.

I've often seen certain posters frame their opinions as facts.

Not sure why you seem to think one cannot express an opinion as if it were a fact merely because the topic itself doesn't lend itself to a factual analysis.

In my opinion, NSS does this quite often, and I find it to be irritating.

However, as I stated earlier, I realize he was responding directly to a request for what Hawk could do to be better, so I admitted it was my mistake in this instance.

Edited by iamshack

Hawk's harmless, but annoying. He's all schtick. His catchphrases get old. He repeats the same stories. He doesn't have a whole lot of original insight anymore. He's starting to get a little senile/blind. The "stretch" on routine fly balls is a joke. Most importantly, he tends to speak in absolutes too much. Everything is the best or worst thing ever. He's tempered it with the "he might not be the best ever, but there's none better" line, but it's still grating. I really don't have the same feeling of sentimentality as most of you.

To those of you Hawk haters, I just want to ask you if you prefer other teams' boring, vanilla, equally homerish crews that pervade baseball?

There's a perception Hawk is a homer and everybody else out there isn't a homer. That's bunk. All these TV and radio crews are full of homers except for greats like Scully. "An A-bomb ... by A-Rod." Ugh. Just as bad as Hawk's lines. And the guy singing, "the Grandy Man can."

I get the feeling a lot of people on this board think they know baseball better than Hawk. He knows so much more than all of you (and me) it's not even funny. I love his style and his knowledge and Stone isn't half bad, either. Steve Physioc of the Royals and his color man Rex Hudler are total homers and very very very boring. Sox fans are so spoiled with the great Hawk.

s***, Farmer and DJ are homers, too. I like them as well.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 04:41 PM)
To those of you Hawk haters, I just want to ask you if you prefer other teams' boring, vanilla, equally homerish crews that pervade baseball?

There's a perception Hawk is a homer and everybody else out there isn't a homer. That's bunk. All these TV and radio crews are full of homers except for greats like Scully. "An A-bomb ... by A-Rod." Ugh. Just as bad as Hawk's lines. And the guy singing, "the Grandy Man can."

I get the feeling a lot of people on this board think they know baseball better than Hawk. He knows so much more than all of you (and me) it's not even funny. I love his style and his knowledge and Stone isn't half bad, either. Steve Physioc of the Royals and his color man Rex Hudler are total homers and very very very boring. Sox fans are so spoiled with the great Hawk.

s***, Farmer and DJ are homers, too. I like them as well.

To all the Hawk lovers, you are entitled your opinion as are the Hawk haters, and the Hawk he-is-ok-i-dont-mind-him-ers are too.

Opinions vary

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
Hawk's harmless, but annoying. He's all schtick. His catchphrases get old. He repeats the same stories. He doesn't have a whole lot of original insight anymore. He's starting to get a little senile/blind. The "stretch" on routine fly balls is a joke. Most importantly, he tends to speak in absolutes too much. Everything is the best or worst thing ever. He's tempered it with the "he might not be the best ever, but there's none better" line, but it's still grating. I really don't have the same feeling of sentimentality as most of you.

I agree with almost everything in this post. (I still enjoy the "stretch"). The absolutes have gotten ridiculous. Every player has some talent that makes him the best in the AL, every game. His senility with umpires has gotten so bad as well. It sucks when umpires are doing a s***ty job, and it's worth mentioning, but Hawk just goes on & on & on about it, even if the Sox take the lead despite the calls. Get over it and get back to the game.

I grew up on Hawk and I'll always remember listening to him. But I think his broadcasting skills are diminishing with age, and i think it's time for a change,

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
And for the record, I like Hawk. I will miss him when he is gone. But people are welcome to their opinions each way, I could totally understand how Hawk could begin to grate on someone.

It's fine to say that, too. I don't mind it.

What I do mind is when people make blanket statements or insinuate that there is no room for reasonable minds to disagree by insulting the competing position.

That is stating opinions as fact, or at the very least, projecting a level of arrogance that needn't be tolerated.

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
There are two ways to be a homer, Vin Scully's way and Hawk's way. Hawk being so hated means he's doing something right.

Having many memebers of your own team's fanbase hate you is "doing something right"? That's an interesting way to look at it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
Having many memebers of your own team's fanbase hate you is "doing something right"? That's an interesting way to look at it.

If you hate Hawk, you aren't a die hard fan IMO. Not that it's wrong, just my view. But yes, having people go from one extreme to another (even within a fan base) means you are doing something right IMO. That means people have an opinion on what you do and you aren't some vanilla soft serve up there just.

I love Hawk. He IS White Sox baseball. I don't agree with him 100% of the time, but that is why I like him. Makes ya think.

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
If you hate Hawk, you aren't a die hard fan IMO. Not that it's wrong, just my view. But yes, having people go from one extreme to another (even within a fan base) means you are doing something right IMO. That means people have an opinion on what you do and you aren't some vanilla soft serve up there just.

I love Hawk. He IS White Sox baseball. I don't agree with him 100% of the time, but that is why I like him. Makes ya think.

I don't hate Hawk the person. I hate Hawk's broadcasts as they increasingly get worse year to year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
And yet, you are questioning the peoples opinions who dont like him. Strange

You seem to be in a weird mood. It's a message board; people throw out their opinions then others counter attack. It's the way of the Internet world.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 02:53 AM)
I don't hate Hawk the person. I hate Hawk's broadcasts as they increasingly get worse year to year.

How can you say that? His broadcasts are so entertaining it's beyond belief ... IMO.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 09:15 PM)
You seem to be in a weird mood. It's a message board; people throw out their opinions then others counter attack. It's the way of the Internet world.

Im not in a weird mood, I just think it is funny that you get all bent out of shape all the time about how people criticize your opinion of a certain unnamed person and here you are telling people basically that they should rethink their own opinions about Hawk.