ESPN Renews MLB TV Deal

Marty34

The deal, which starts in 2014, includes:

Rights to produce a new, daily baseball studio show.

Ten additional regular-season games, including four more covering pennant chases in late September and up to six more during holiday weekends like Memorial Day.

No local TV blackouts for ESPN Monday and Wednesday prime-time games.

Rights to air all regular-season tiebreakers, if there are any.

The ability for SportsCenter to air highlights of games still in progress.

The ability to have top teams appear on ESPN Sunday night games more often.

All ESPN MLB shows, including games and studio shows, will become available digitally via WATCHESPN.

MLB apparently doesn't realize how much they are killing baseball. The lifting of local blackouts for Monday/Wednesday games and the relaxing of restrictions on how frequently teams can be on Sunday night both add up to even more Yankees games on ESPN. Aside from the problem of making the fans of the other 29 teams hating the Yankees even more, there is the larger problem in that FOX has the World Series, and in the 75% of years that the Yankees don't make the World Series, their ratings are terrible because ESPN has been showing nothing but Yankees all season, and then the networks all use the low World Series ratings as evidence that nobody cares about the other 29 teams and show the Yankees even more.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
8y/$5.6B

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ga.../1#.UD1Mt6Ph-Sp

Kind of surprised they went back to ESPN. They've seemed to have a love/hate relationship, but they probably weren't ready to commit fully to NBC sports network or whatever it is called

That's approx. $23 million a year per team.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 07:02 AM)
MLB apparently doesn't realize how much they are killing baseball. The lifting of local blackouts for Monday/Wednesday games and the relaxing of restrictions on how frequently teams can be on Sunday night both add up to even more Yankees games on ESPN. Aside from the problem of making the fans of the other 29 teams hating the Yankees even more, there is the larger problem in that FOX has the World Series, and in the 75% of years that the Yankees don't make the World Series, their ratings are terrible because ESPN has been showing nothing but Yankees all season, and then the networks all use the low World Series ratings as evidence that nobody cares about the other 29 teams and show the Yankees even more.

I disagree with the premise that World Series ratings are low because the Yankees are on ESPN all the time. I think WS ratings are low because by the time it is on people have had their fill of baseball for the year. Postseason is too long, too many teams.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
I disagree with the premise that World Series ratings are low because the Yankees are on ESPN all the time. I think WS ratings are low because by the time it is on people have had their fill of baseball for the year. Postseason is too long, too many teams.

Baseball has the least amount of teams in the playoffs, I don't understand how you say too many teams....

The problem is baseball isn't as fun to watch as the other sports and it's as simple as that.

Baseball has the least amount of teams in the playoffs, I don't understand how you say too many teams....

The problem is baseball isn't as fun to watch as the other sports and it's as simple as that.

You just made me realize something kinda weird. I enjoy watching Sox games much more than Bears or ND games, but I enjoy watching non-Bears or non-ND football games much more than I enjoy watching non-Sox baseball games.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)

I agree except for the too many teams. By the time it is the World Series, I've gotten a little bored of baseball and am in the football mode.

Also, I really like ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball broadcast, really enjoyable.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)

This may be part of it but a larger part is that it's the most difficult team to bet and a play fantasy sports with. The NFL has an easy betting line and with games on no more than 3 nights a week (usually 2) it lends itself to the fantasy aspect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 08:16 PM)
Fox and TBS renewed their TV deals with MLB. About $50M per team per season when you add the ESPN deal. Counting their local tv deals, the Sox will be banking about $100M a year from TV starting in 2014.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-02/m...-tv-rights.html

What have we made previous years? Is $100M good or bad?