AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

knightni

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)
I asked this in the game thread, but did Youk leave with an injury?

I assumed Robin just pulled him cause it was 8-1 in the 8th. Just giving him some rest.

I could be wrong though.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 02:09 AM)
I do not understand Gordon Beckham.

I think I understand him. Great great fielder, average hitter. Perfect No. 9 hitter for the next 10 years. He'll get hits, even some huge hits, now and then. But he's simply no more than an average hitter, maybe a bit below average. He is a big-leaguer, though. He's assured a long career. He's not a complete bust.

I'd rate his hitting Cminus and fielding Aplus.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 02:55 AM)
Ax-cellent !!!

Great line!

Edited by greg775

It is very difficult to be a team's 9 hitter for a very long time. Eventually (and usually sooner rather than later) the team will believe it has a young player that can outperform him...and then he goes elsewhere to be a 9 hitter. If he wants a long stay on the South Side, he better start hitting better or hope there are no good FA 2B's in the next 10 years and hope that Carlos Sanchez flames out entirely

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 10:34 PM)
It is very difficult to be a team's 9 hitter for a very long time. Eventually (and usually sooner rather than later) the team will believe it has a young player that can outperform him...and then he goes elsewhere to be a 9 hitter. If he wants a long stay on the South Side, he better start hitting better or hope there are no good FA 2B's in the next 10 years and hope that Carlos Sanchez flames out entirely

You may be right, but I never underestimate the value of defense and Gordon is very, very good in that area.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
I think I understand him. Great great fielder, average hitter. Perfect No. 9 hitter for the next 10 years. He'll get hits, even some huge hits, now and then. But he's simply no more than an average hitter, maybe a bit below average. He is a big-leaguer, though. He's assured a long career. He's not a complete bust.

I'd rate his hitting Cminus and fielding Aplus.

I would have to agree. His defense is very good, and his lack of consistent hitting will be overlooked for the most part because of that. I still hope there's a better hitter waiting inside him, but it's hard to be optimistic about that based on his performance the past couple years.

Gotta love the roller coaster of the last 36 hours. At about 7:15 Tuesday, the Sox were on their way to losing, Verlander was up 3-0, and it looked like the lead was down to 1 with an ice-cold offense & Detroit feasting on lowly KC.

Then Verlander gets crushed, Cy Chen happens, and Joe Saunders returns to the AL, and suddenly the Sox are up 3 games and everything is rainbows & gumdrops.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 03:34 AM)

The team seems to be winning with Gordon Beckham in there. I wouldn't be so quick to move him. Who do we replace him with in our system? A good glove man with a weak bat?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 11:11 AM)
The team seems to be winning with Gordon Beckham in there. I wouldn't be so quick to move him. Who do we replace him with in our system? A good glove man with a weak bat?

Next year, Sanchez might be getting close to a position where he can push for a roster spot.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 06:44 AM)
Anybody ever hear an explanation of why Robin made a pitching change with a 7 run lead in the 9th inning with 2 outs and the bases empty? Seemed very unnecessary, and from the expression on Veal's face he seemed pretty surprised.

My guess is that Jones hadn't been in a game in awhile and he wanted to keep him sharp. Too lazy to actually look it up but that's usually why moves like that occur.