Slumpbusted Gamethread: Orioles vs White Sox

Kyyle23

Meh.

Outside or various AL Central opponents at various times, the two teams that have dominated the Sox the most over a span of years are Toronto and Baltimore, but especially Baltimore. They play tough on the road or at home, and always seemingly 4-game series. I'm not overly concerned. Even if Detroit wins tonight they still lost 2 of 3 to an inferior Royals team, so both teams come into an important series on a down note.

The Sox have proven time and time this season that they respond very well to these types of series losses. I expect this weekend to be no different.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
He called a horrible game today, just horrible. To the point I was wondering why he was pitching right to hitters tendencies

his base running early in the game was laughable as well, he just doesn't come to play on a daily basis. not discrediting the year he has had, but this is not the first time I've noticed lackadaisical effort by him in a game, and then I can't help but remember the college football in the clubhouse before a game that we ended up losing a few years ago when he was supposed to be preparing the pitchers

The biggest flaw in AJ's game this year has been blocking pitches, IMO, and his pitch calling in recent months to the relievers.

He doesn't move his body and tends to stab at the ball instead of blocking it. We've had numerous wild pitches that shouldn't have been...advancing runners into scoring position. And our success throwing out opposing baserunners (both Flowers and AJ) has gone down from the first half of the season.

Part of it's being tired and worn down, the other part of it is bad habits which have formed in his defensive approach.

Thanks to Dylan we didn't get swept. I am not sure Konerko got anything out of the infield this series and Dunn didn't do much at all. Pitchers always seemed to have that one bad inning. Let's get back on track tomorrow in Detroit

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
Hope it doesn't come out later that he was concerned about his future and next contract negotiation looming in the offseason...as the reason why he's struggling now so much late in the season.

Would rather believe it's because Ventura pushed him too hard in the first 3-4 months and didn't give him enough time off.

Or he could just be regressing to the mean offensively. Even with this slump he is at a .861 OPS on the year at age 35. His next two highest full seasons were .824 & .773. He was probably due for a cold stretch at some point.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
Or he could just be regressing to the mean offensively. Even with this slump he is at a .861 OPS on the year at age 35. His next two highest full seasons were .824 & .773. He was probably due for a cold stretch at some point.

Add to that his numbers have been pretty closely related to Adam Dunn's hot streak.

Absolutely horrid. I've come to the realization that we're not a very good hitting team. We have a lot of power, but we're not a good hitting team. Need De Aza and Youk back pronto

Meh.

Outside or various AL Central opponents at various times, the two teams that have dominated the Sox the most over a span of years are Toronto and Baltimore, but especially Baltimore. They play tough on the road or at home...

Whaa? Baltimore didn't play tough, we played horrible.

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)

dunno if I'm the only one here but I have never believed in "regressing to the mean" in baseball. if you have a great season above what your career averages are, it doesn't mean you are due to slump down to your average numbers. and if you do slump, it isn't because some magical statistic fairy sprinkled you with pixie dust causing it to happen.

Being over aggressive on the basepaths is one small thing thats irked me this year too. A lot of needless outs when we sent guys we shouldn't send. AJ/Paulie/Youk are slow as hell, old and prone to injury at this point. Why even send them when you have 1 out and runners at the corners. I think it was the 4th inning too and we had the lead.

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
dunno if I'm the only one here but I have never believed in "regressing to the mean" in baseball. if you have a great season above what your career averages are, it doesn't mean you are due to slump down to your average numbers. and if you do slump, it isn't because some magical statistic fairy sprinkled you with pixie dust causing it to happen.

I'm not saying that his final season line will end up like his average career season. He obviously has produced enough to have a career year. But odds were that he wasn't gonna keep it up all year, and that's what may be happening now. (Or he could be tired or he just could be so excited for Tyler and his baby). Just like Konerko wasn't gonna bat .399 all year, he has dipped way back down closer to what you would expect from him. It's just kind of the law of averages from a long 162 game season.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
I wouldn't say he's been pathetic, but I'm sick of watching him dog it down the line to first base. The "Captain" should show a little more hustle.

Yeah...think of all the infield hits he could be legging out

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 07:15 PM)
Meh.

Outside or various AL Central opponents at various times, the two teams that have dominated the Sox the most over a span of years are Toronto and Baltimore, but especially Baltimore. They play tough on the road or at home, and always seemingly 4-game series. I'm not overly concerned. Even if Detroit wins tonight they still lost 2 of 3 to an inferior Royals team, so both teams come into an important series on a down note.

The Sox have proven time and time this season that they respond very well to these types of series losses. I expect this weekend to be no different.

Some people don't seem to mind if we lose 3 of 4. I prefer to look at it that we blew a big opportunity to start making Detroit doubt. Detroit will have plenty of confidence again that the Tigers can blow us away this weekend.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 08:03 PM)
I wouldn't say he's been pathetic, but I'm sick of watching him dog it down the line to first base. The "Captain" should show a little more hustle.

Cmon. The guy is the slowest player in baseball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
Some people don't seem to mind if we lose 3 of 4. I prefer to look at it that we blew a big opportunity to start making Detroit doubt. Detroit will have plenty of confidence again that the Tigers can blow us away this weekend.

Tigers blew us away last time with a sweep then went 1-6 while the Sox went 6-1...

I think Sox take 2 of 3 this weekend.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)
Cmon. The guy is the slowest player in baseball.

Just cause you're slow doesn't mean you don't have to hustle down the bases and/or throw your bat and hang your head in disgust whenever you pop a ball up. As the captain, he needs to lead by example. Something I've always respected Jeter for is that he hustles on every play, regardless of how routine an out it is. With that said, Ventura did a great job in changing the culture of the team this year in order to get them to hustle more often on routine plays. I'm pretty sure it was Dick Allen on here that used to cite an article he read where scouts couldn't even get home to first times on the Sox a few years ago cause no one was hustling.