Thank You Kansas City Royals

greg775

I must publicly eat my words and thank the KC Royals for doing the noble thing and sweeping Detroit just as they swept our Sox in Kauffman. I thought KC could only get up for the White Sox. Thankfully I was wrong. KC did a great thing in kicking Detroit's butt, proving again the Tigers are having a somewhat disappointing season after being picked to win in a runaway.

I'll be equally disappointed if the Sox get swept in Detroit. 1-2 will be disappointing, sure, but 1-2 or 2-1 would keep me from jumping off any ledge. Cmon Sox, beat this average Detroit team at least once, hopefully twice this weekend.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 12:01 AM)
I must publicly eat my words and thank the KC Royals for doing the noble thing and sweeping Detroit just as they swept our Sox in Kauffman. I thought KC could only get up for the White Sox. Thankfully I was wrong. KC did a great thing in kicking Detroit's butt, proving again the Tigers are having a somewhat disappointing season after being picked to win in a runaway.

I'll be equally disappointed if the Sox get swept in Detroit. 1-2 will be disappointing, sure, but 1-2 or 2-1 would keep me from jumping off any ledge. Cmon Sox, beat this average Detroit team at least once, hopefully twice this weekend.

good thing about going 1-2 is that we'll only lose a game in the standings, so we'll leave town still up in the division by 2 games

If Jake Peavy could just win the opener, the Sox finally would be in a position of strength. Lose the opener however and the momentum for a sweep begins and Detroit forgets about its s***ty series in KC.

We are 3 up, correct? Just win the first game and things are looking up for the first time in a while. Lose that game and it's the same ol roller coaster and we likely get swept.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- In a game in Cleveland in 1969, the Angels produced one hit. But they somehow scored three runs and won. Angels reliever Eddie Fisher offered this analysis:

"We bunched our hit."

The Tigers suffered the reverse fate on Thursday night. They had 12 hits but couldn't bunch enough of them into a decisive rally. They lost to the Royals, 2-1, to remain three games behind the White Sox going into this weekend's series between the teams.

According to Baseball-Reference.com, the Tigers haven't had a loss like this since 1958: a one-run defeat in which they had at least 12 hits but didn't score more than one run.

In this low-scoring loss and in Wednesday night's 1-0 defeat, the Tigers -- instead of hitting the ball in the gap -- hit it where the Royals centerfielder could make a diving catch in the ninth.

After Alex Avila drew a leadoff walk in the ninth Thursday, Austin Jackson smoked a liner to center. Lorenzo Cain dove for it. If it had gone by him, it probably would have gone to the wall.

"It would have been an inside-the-park homer," Avila said.

A go-ahead inside-the-park homer.

But Cain made a sliding, diving catch, just as Jarrod Dyson did in center in the ninth the night before on Miguel Cabrera.

Rookie right-hander Kelvin Herrera (pitching the ninth as closer Greg Holland got a night of rest) then allowed a single to Andy Dirks that sent Avila to second.

Cabrera ended the game by hitting into a first-pitch double play even though pivot man Alcides Escobar had to leap over the sliding Dirks before he threw to first to nip Cabrera. (Recall that Cabrera has been slowed lately by a sore right ankle.)

"I knew if I threw the ball when I jumped, I might make a bad throw," Escobar told the Kansas City Star. "I knew Miguel Cabrera was running, so I wanted to make sure to make a good throw. But that was no easy play."

He amazed his teammates. Third baseman Mike Moustakas said when he saw Escobar leap, he figured the Royals would have to get out Prince Fielder, the on-deck hitter. And first baseman Eric Hosmer said, "There's a name for that play, but I don't know what to call it."