Over/Under on Sox pitcher walks tonight -6-

macsandz

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
Liriano is not big name. Sox will get 3 1/2, 4 star players (in my book) or past their prime. They pass on a Pujols, Fielder type player. Which is OK since the Sox have bad luck with those guys. I think the last time they made a big time splash was getting the great hitter from Cleveland to protect Frank and that didn't work out.

Actually Belle held up his end of the bargain, plus he did the Sox the solid of opting out of his deal and signing elsewhere just in time for his hip to give out. That 1998 season is one of the best offensive seasons in White Sox history. He still holds the records for most HR and RBI in a season, as well as best SLG in a full season. (Thomas was better in 1994)

Peavy doesn't crumble under the pressure. While the sample size is far too small to really evaluate anything, there is more than one thing to think about:

1. He's declining right now, physically. It's a long season and we've abused his arm. We rode him like a horse and he's paying for it now.

2. Between the above and the fact that he just isn't the same pitcher post-injury, it seems plausible that his stuff is no longer so hard to hit. In "big" games, the opposing hitters tend to get better. If it is the same Peavy and better hitters, expect slightly worse results.

But it is still a very small sample size against a pretty good hitting team. The guy always gives us a chance to win and his mental toughness keeps his tough innings from dragging on too long. He will sometimes allow some damage, but he always stops the bleeding and keeps it close enough that we'll win with a good offensive day.

And it's the third or fourth start he's made in a season against the same team...

The advantage usually shifts to the opponent the more times you see a pitcher, unless he's absolutely on that day in terms of stuff or command.

And Peavy's pitches just aren't as crisp as they were the first half. Same with Sale and Quintana.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 07:10 AM)
Actually Belle held up his end of the bargain, plus he did the Sox the solid of opting out of his deal and signing elsewhere just in time for his hip to give out. That 1998 season is one of the best offensive seasons in White Sox history. He still holds the records for most HR and RBI in a season, as well as best SLG in a full season. (Thomas was better in 1994)

I couldn't remember that far back but was it rare they were both in the lineup at the same time? I thought one or the other would go on the DL.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
And it's the third or fourth start he's made in a season against the same team...

The advantage usually shifts to the opponent the more times you see a pitcher, unless he's absolutely on that day in terms of stuff or command.

And Peavy's pitches just aren't as crisp as they were the first half. Same with Sale and Quintana.

So in about 20 years the Sox should be able to hit Verlander. I can't buy into that statement 100%.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 07:09 PM)
I couldn't remember that far back but was it rare they were both in the lineup at the same time? I thought one or the other would go on the DL.

They were in the lineup most of the time together. In 1997, Thomas played 146 games, Belle played 161. Thomas had an OPS of 1.067 and led the league in AVG. Belle had an .823 OPS (decent, but not what we expected when the Sox made him the highest paid player in the league).

In 1998, Thomas played 160 games and Belle played 163 (tie game). Belle had an OPS of 1.055 and Thomas had an OPS of .861 - which was SHOCKINGLY low for him at the time (he hit only .265 and hit only 29 HR).

Accordingly, there were only 15 or so games over two years where they both weren't in the lineup - about 5% of the games. And most of that was due to Thomas missing 16 games in 1997.

Basically, they never put two great seasons together at the same time and Belle was gone in 1999 to the Orioles and out of baseball soon thereafter with injury. That was the disappointment.

Also, this happened.