If you could bring a dead rock star back to life

Spiritinthesky

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 05:50 AM)
Since most people are giving the standard Hendrix, Mercury, Lennon answers, I'll go with a little less popular answer and say Danny Whitten from Crazy Horse. Most have never heard of him, but man was he a talent. Listen to Neil Young's - Live From the Fillmore East and hear just how amazing the band was when Whitten was alive. His death was also the inspiration for Neil Young's famed "Ditch Trilogy" of albums. Young was in a great depression because he had fired Whitten because he was too messed up and gave him a plane ticket and some money to enter rehab, well Whitten took that money and scored some dope with it and overdosed and died. That emotion led Young to record possibly the best three albums of his career.

Nice! Yeah, it's nice to give recognition to the little-bit-lesser known "greats". Mine would be Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson from Canned Heat.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
Axl is very much alive.

Washed up, but alive.

I was thinking that was the joke, the Axl we knew from the good days of GnR has been dead for some time....

another to bring back would be Andrew Wood

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
Axl is very much alive.

Washed up, but alive.

Washed up because he wants to be, if that nutjob would get Slash, Izzy and the rest of the gang back together again, I bet they could recapture some of that ol' magic.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
Bon Scott

John Boeham

Axl Rose

Freddy Mercury

Michael Hutchins

Lane Staley

Janis Joplin

I see what you did there.

The biggest disservice Axl did to himself was releasing Chinese Democracy under the GNR name, because the material is great. He underestimated the Slash and Duff not being there effect- so if you can look past that, I strongly recommend it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
Axl is very much alive.

Washed up, but alive.

It's not so much a case of being washed up, either. Around the time of the Illusions it was obvious that the image and reputation was getting to him. Stopping shows mid-song because of minor technical glitches that he felt would take away from his performance, going after audience members that were filming the show, bringing horns/backup singers/really, turning the Illusions tour into a grandiose production that most of the band didn't really want to do. Most of the band spent their time blown out of their mind via drugs and alcohol, not Axl though, and that wasn't helping things either. It continued on for the recording of The Spaghetti Incident with bringing session players on to redo parts or outright not including the band in the production, bringing Zakk Wylde in to see how it would work between he and Slash, attempting to replace Slash with Dave Navarro afterwards... Long periods of indecision and lack of direction (or a direction the rest of the band felt comfortable going in) finally saw Duff and Slash out.

Lastly, the image: I think a big part of what happened after the Illusions tour and the present is that Axl kind of started losing his hair while Slash retained what looked like a mop under the top hat. For some people it would be trivial, but for others who are as obsessed with image (and in the spotlight front and center at the time) that was probably a terrifying thing. Slash was just as much of the face of GNR as Axl was, and now Axl is losing his lettuce. Axl has played at one point or another been on stage with everyone from the original band (including Duff) except Slash.

So it's really not being washed up- The new GNR has done three tours in support of Chinese Democracy (all of them curiously timed- two of them years before it's release, and one three years after the release), Axl didn't lose his voice at all- you can clearly hear that after shaking off the rust with that Mtv appearance, it's remained intact. It's all just a case of serious paranoia, perfectionism, expectations, and being self-centered. To anyone paying attention to the lyrics of the songs (especially Illusions, but Chinese Democracy as well) that shouldn't come as a surprise at all. Now, Axl is making music that has no chance of being anything other than regarded as a joke and dismissed, and Slash makes his living recording fluff material that sells purely on the strength of the name and image he crafted while in GNR.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 08:33 PM)
another to bring back would be Andrew Wood

If Andrew Wood is alive today, Pearl Jam never happened.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft