Kenny questions team strategy in Detroit this past weekend.

justBLAZE

Kenny Williams talked about the importance of baseball “intellect” with manager Robin Ventura and his coaching staff after the White Sox were swept by the Tigers in a big three-game series at Detroit over the weekend.

Before Tuesday night’s game against the Twins, Williams talked to the media about the Sox not playing smart at Comerica Park.

“This is September, man,” Williams said. “It's September in the midst of a playoff run. There are common denominators for the teams that will ultimately survive this stretch. It's the will, the intellect and the talent, and not necessarily in that order. Will, intellect and talent.

“There are games where you have to will your way to win and there are other games where you have to use your baseball intellect. We had an opportunity in Detroit, for instance, and one of the conversations we had on the bus and the plane was, 'OK, let's review what happened. Did we play the smartest baseball? Did we take advantage of the other team's weaknesses and did we have the right game plan?'

“Well, it wasn't a matter of talent that lost us those three games. We think we didn't step up in that (intellect) category. But every now and then, you run into a couple of buzz saws like they have the potential to do in their starting rotation and it is what it is. But for the most part, those three things I just talked about will carry the day in September. Not just for us, for everybody.”

When asked for specifics on the intellect issue, Williams declined to offer details.

The GM noted the Tigers are coming to the Cell for a four-game series next week and he didn’t want to tip them off to anything.

But anybody watching the weekend series in Detroit knows what Williams was talking about.

Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera was playing on two bad ankles and could barely move.

The White Sox should have been dropping bunts in his area all three games, but Gordon Beckham was the lone challenger – on Friday – and Cabrera was charged with an error trying to field his sacrifice.

It’s interesting that Williams brought up the Cabrera situation without any prompting.

It will be interesting to hear what Ventura has to say about it, and it will be really interesting to see what the Sox do about it when the Tigers are in town next week.

Link.

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:11 AM)
Point of KW telling the media this?

That he's disgusted by the stupid baseball he saw over the weekend and that they need to change things up for when they play the Tigers next week. I have no problem with him calling out the team, as that was a very bad series.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:24 AM)
That he's disgusted by the stupid baseball he saw over the weekend and that they need to change things up for when they play the Tigers next week. I have no problem with him calling out the team, as that was a very bad series.

I said last week if I was Reinsdorf I'd call the coaches in my office and ask them WTF about not bunting Cabrera out of the game. It's like the Sox were trying to not embarrass the guy or something. I mean if our third baseman was one legged, the opponent would have bunted all weekend, you just know it. I'm glad Kenny spoke up. He sounded furious which he should be. It's a long season and Sox entered the Detroit series in a position of strength, only needing to win one to be two up. And he should be pissed tonight as well. You can't blow opportunities like this if you want to make the playoffs. Kudos to Kenny.

What's the point of going to the press?

Maybe he should have more than 3 starting pitchers who are capable of pitching in August/September...see Sale/Quintana being arm weary and perhaps mentally drained, as Quintana normally has played 140 game seasons.

Where was he when we needed at least one more starting pitcher.

Why did he hire a manager with NO experience, and now he's going to complain about it? If he thinks he could do a better job managing, and I'm of the belief that he does believe this to be the case, he should fire Ventura and put himself in charge of the team

As much as he gets defended for this season, and rightfully so, maybe we need both of them gone (Ozzie/KW) just so the entire organization can have a completely fresh start.

Maybe even Cooper, although if there's anyone who should get the benefit of the doubt, it's probably him.

Edited by caulfield12

I'd say some of those things reflect back on Kenny.

It's the will, the intellect and the talent

Fans always question will.

Intellect-not sure what he means here. In the past we've seen a lot of baseball dumb Sox teams under Kenny. The exception is this year if you add fundamentals as intellect.

He also hired a manager with no experience.

Much is on him as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:41 AM)

Maybe he should have more than 3 starting pitchers who are capable of pitching in August/September...see Sale/Quintana being arm weary and perhaps mentally drained, as Quintana normally has played 140 game seasons.

Why did he hire a manager with NO experience, and now he's going to complain about it?

As much as he gets defended for this season, and rightfully so, maybe we need both of them gone (Ozzie/KW) just so the entire organization can have a completely fresh start.

Maybe even Cooper, although if there's anyone who should get the benefit of the doubt, it's probably him.

I don't think it's some diabolical scheme to go to the press. He hasn't talked to them a while and made himself available is my guess and like Ozzie, he's pretty honest. So he blasted away. He's probably pissed which he should be. Team is having a good season but pissed it away in Detroit again. Is one win in a pair of three-game series in Motown too much to ask? 2-4 woulda been meaningful. 0-6? He's furious so he vented. And to not bunt at Cabrera? Who is paying the Sox checks? Not Detroit. That was ridiculous, not to bunt just because it's against the baseball code of not embarrassing an injured player.

Edited by greg775

Let's revisit Friday.

Youk hit a liner with the bases loaded, Dunn struck out and Paulie is/was in a huge slump. And then Thornton in the 7th inning, that scenario was 100% predictable, WELL BEFORE IT HAPPENED. So leaving Peavy out there too long when he was gassed and has been overused all season long, and going to Thornton there...or Jones against RHBers when he has a below .200 average against LHB but something like .330 against RHB?

How much of that is intellect or will? Bad luck? Expecting the worst to happen in a place where you've lost 18/21?

If anything, KW should have been able to observe from the past decade similarly disastrous results in OAK/LAA/SEATTLE, then more recently against the Orioles, Royals....and all along against the Twins and now Tigers.

That's 90% on the GM for the players he brings in, not the field manager.

Clearly, Ventura has been struggling with his bullpen decisions, as well as when to pull his starter, but that was expected...or should have been expected with a totally inexperienced manager.

Otherwise, they should have hired LaRussa or Gaston or some other retread.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 11:41 PM)

Why did he hire a manager with NO experience, and now he's going to complain about it?

When a 6 man rotation was possible, he decided 5.

I'm still surprised this team is in 1st when 2 veteran starters are on the deal.

I would like see Coop get a chance to work with Liriano in Feb. adn see how that works.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
Maybe the reason why you go to the press with this is that you've tried saying it in private and felt you didn't have success.

If he feels the need to go through the press because privately the message isn't getting through, he needs to hire a new staff. Questioning your personnel publicly isn't going to work in the long run. If KW has all the answers, why is Phil Humber still taking up roster space?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
If he feels the need to go through the press because privately the message isn't getting through, he needs to hire a new staff. Questioning your personnel publicly isn't going to work in the long run. If KW has all the answers, why is Phil Humber still taking up roster space?

Phil Humber is nothing more than a garbage time pitcher right now. Barring injuries, he won't be on the post season roster (if it happens).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
Phil Humber is nothing more than a garbage time pitcher right now. Barring injuries, he won't be on the post season roster (if it happens).

He sure played a big role in that loss last night. The game was by no means decided when he came in and had one of the worst outings in Sox history.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
KW...STFU. On a sidenote, Humber, you freaking blow.

I think balta makes a great point. We know Kenny was in Detroit this past weekend, and I'm sure he talked with the coaching staff. If he kept telling them to challenge Cabrera defensively and then the coaches didn't get that point across to the players, then maybe he felt this was the best way to get his point across.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
He sure played a big role in that loss last night. The game was by no means decided when he came in and had one of the worst outings in Sox history.

At that point who else do you bring in? You needed innings, not to blow up your pen when you were down three runs.