Kenny questions team strategy in Detroit this past weekend.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 04:14 PM)
I think balta makes a great point. We know Kenny was in Detroit this past weekend, and I'm sure he talked with the coaching staff. If he kept telling them to challenge Cabrera defensively and then the coaches didn't get that point across to the players, then maybe he felt this was the best way to get his point across.

I think they call it sportsmanship. But, that really is lacking in MLB as it's all about winning. I feel strongly both ways about it

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
I think they call it sportsmanship. But, that really is lacking in MLB as it's all about winning. I feel strongly both ways about it

I highly doubt anyone on the Sox thought it would be classless to challenge the injured Cabrera. It's all about trying to exploit the weaknesses of the opposition. The Tigers had no problem throwing Rios 1,000 pitches on the outer half during the series and see him go hitless.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)

F*** that. Gardenhire, Leyland, Acta and Yost would have bunted 3 times an inning at Youk if he was injured and immobile like Cabrera

This is a professional sports league, not coed kickball. If Cabrera is too injured to field his position, then the Tigers shouldn't let him play the field. Sox absolutely should go after him, it's on him to foil the Sox plan.

I have a feeling this became a story unintentionally (KW lacking the intention). KW is obviously upset about the result and of course should assert, as the GM, that he is not okay with losing in that manner or in series of that significance. I think the not bunting at MC is a part of what frustrated KW, but he isn't silly enough to know that we didn't lose the series due to just a lack of bunts. That was just another piece in the puzzle like poor situational hitting, poor pitch calling at times, brain lapses like Wise dogging it when Cabrera tagged to third, etc.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 08:23 AM)

No sorry think about it. It's competition the only way to beat your competition is to exploit weaknesses. If a pitcher has a sore arm and is throwing crap do the hitters not exploit that ? If a catcher has a bad arm or the pitcher a weak pick off move do you not run on them ?

According to the Sun Times, the players were encouraged repeatedly to bunt on Cabrera.

KW does need to be careful about ever publicly dissing Robin. Ozzie, people could see how he could aggrevate you, but if KW ever gave Robin too much crap he decided to walk away, the Sox would have a tough time attracting top candidates for the job. If you can't get along with Robin, chances are you aren't going to be getting along with many people.

Edited by Dick Allen

Sportsmanship??? So a team starts a player at 3B who can't move and it's poor sportsmanship to bunt towards him? By that logic the Sox could start an injured pitcher and it would be poor sportsmanship for the Tigers to swing at the meatballs he throws up there.

Or let's say a team has a catcher that is leading the league in hitting, home runs, RBIs and OBP. But he recently injured his throwing arm so that although it doesn't affect his hitting, he can barely throw the ball back to the pitcher. If the team starts him at Catcher to keep his bat in the lineup, would it be poor sportsmanship for the opposing team to steal second and third every time a runner reaches base?

The Tigers wanted to keep Cabrera's bat in the lineup so they started him at 3B even though they knew he probably couldn't field a bunt. There is nothing unsportsmanlike to take advantage of the situation, and it's foolish to let him beat you with his bat and not take advantage of his defenseive shortcomings.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:03 PM)
Sportsmanship??? So a team starts a player at 3B who can't move and it's poor sportsmanship to bunt towards him? By that logic the Sox could start an injured pitcher and it would be poor sportsmanship for the Tigers to swing at the meatballs he throws up there.

Or let's say a team has a catcher that is leading the league in hitting, home runs, RBIs and OBP. But he recently injured his throwing arm so that although it doesn't affect his hitting, he can barely throw the ball back to the pitcher. If the team starts him at Catcher to keep his bat in the lineup, would it be poor sportsmanship for the opposing team to steal second and third every time a runner reaches base?

The Tigers wanted to keep Cabrera's bat in the lineup so they started him at 3B even though they knew he probably couldn't field a bunt. There is nothing unsportsmanlike to take advantage of the situation, and it's foolish to let him beat you with his bat and not take advantage of his defenseive shortcomings.

Wilber Wood was bunted out of baseball. He could still pitch, but because of the bad wheels, teams bunted against him so much he was done. He simply could not field the position.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)

I must be invisible .I just said the same thing (shorter version ) 6 posts ahead of yours :P

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
Have we ever heard of Ventura calling out KW for giving him a crappy and/or completely inexperienced bullpen this year?

That would be MORE fun.

Ozzie in odd ways called out KW about the over all talent of the team. 2nd half collapses existed before Ozzie.

What's happened in the current situation is two of your successful pitchers haven't pitched this many innings before.

Two of your veteran starters are on the DL.

Detroit should win this division. They give you the impression they aren't interested in doing that any time soon. They remind you of some of those Sox teams that should have won but they are slow and fundamentally flawed. This year's Sox are similar to a fan's perception of what the Twins were like. You have some guys that can run, and very good defense, clutch hitting and decent fundamentals.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
According to the Sun Times, the players were encouraged repeatedly to bunt on Cabrera.

KW does need to be careful about ever publicly dissing Robin. Ozzie, people could see how he could aggrevate you, but if KW ever gave Robin too much crap he decided to walk away, the Sox would have a tough time attracting top candidates for the job. If you can't get along with Robin, chances are you aren't going to be getting along with many people.

Those guys are never on the Sox list.