Just an Old Fashioned Game Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

“What makes me feel the best is no matter what happens this month I know that everybody in uniform has given us his very best,’’ Williams said before the Sox’ 18-9 loss to the Minnesota Twins on Tuesday. “Given it their all in preparation, the study of their opponent in the video room and scouting reports. They talk about ideas, they come out early en masse to work on little fundamental things you take for granted in this game or are considered old school.

‘‘So at the end of the day if we don’t achieve the goal we don’t set out to achieve I can’t think of a better group I’d love to go down with than these guys. And I mean that as much as anything I’ve said all year long. We don’t want to do that — we want to be the last club standing, but in the event that we’re not I will walk in and thank everyone in uniform for their efforts.’’

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...sided-loss.html

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Omg, I get so mad when we get tossed out stealing

You just got on that base by sheer luck, and you can't even wait 2 seconds to be called out?

It's okay because we can start off fresh with Wise leading off again next inning.

Not the end of the world.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
Omg, I get so mad when we get tossed out stealing

You just got on that base by sheer luck, and you can't even wait 2 seconds to be called out?

Doesn't really bother me when there are two outs like that. SB puts him in position to score on a base hit. Caught just allows us to start from leadoff next inning. Would have taken extra bases to score him from first. No biggie

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
If they had an all lefty line up and had a 4-1 lead after 4, I'd think you would be happy.

Right handers are 2/10 today with a walk. That blows against a pitcher of this caliber. They have time to score more runs, but I'm not exactly surprised thus far.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
Made it through nearly 1 1/2 hours of a game before the first Ted Williams quote.

I'd love to hear what a guy who missed 3 prime seasons in military service but still with a lifetime .344 avg. .482 OBP and 1.116 OPS had to say about hitting.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:32 PM)
It's not enough to win a game. You are supposed to win a game in a blemish-less way involving zero luck.

Oh wait I have never watched baseball before.

No, it's about putting together a lineup that maximizes the probability of winning given the starting pitcher. That didn't happen today.

But do please keep up the passive aggressive trash.

Guess they're still going with Sale/Chen instead of pitching both Axelrod and Santiago this weekend.

The problem then is that means they plan to use Quintana against the Tigers.

Have there been any rumors about starting Axelrod instead?

They could pitch Axelrod Sunday, Santiago Monday, then Peavy, Liriano and Sale again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
I'd love to hear what a guy who missed 3 prime seasons in military service but still with a lifetime .344 avg. .482 OBP and 1.116 OPS had to say about hitting.

If it was a Red Sox broadcast, lol.

I'd rather hear what Shoeless Joe Jackson, Aparicio, Fox or Luke Appling had to say had to say.

Maybe Hawk can get a Harold Baines quote to use occasionally?

Or Big Hurt/Ventura.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
Great effort by Jake. 7 baserunners in 6 innings is awesome. We really needed a good effort from him today and he's delivered.

It would have been nice if he could have kept the pitch count down and got another inning in, but he did his job today.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
If it was a Red Sox broadcast, lol.

I'd rather hear what Shoeless Joe Jackson, Aparicio, Fox or Luke Appling had to say had to say.

Maybe Hawk can get a Harold Baines quote to use occasionally?

Or Big Hurt/Ventura.

I don't think Harold's wife could get a Harold quote.