AJ Did Not Test Positive; No Story Here

flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
If this is true, who here thinks the Sox can keep their focus and finish the season strong? Something that does hurt if he's out is having to make Flowers face 3 or 4 very tough righties against the Tigers next week.

The pitchers like Flowers as a receiver and calling pitches behind the plate. His defense is pretty good and has some pop in his bat. I think with regular ABs he can start to get better. He is no where near what AJ is. But here is another though. Maybe the way the sox have played in the last week or so is playing tight knowing that this was coming down.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really want to know whether or not this is true, find out where AJ is. If he's having a suspension announced tomorrow, then he's cleaned out his locker and left town. If he's out somewhere in Chicago, then no way he's getting suspended starting tomorrow.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 02:43 AM)
The pitchers like Flowers as a receiver and calling pitches behind the plate. His defense is pretty good and has some pop in his bat. I think with regular ABs he can start to get better. He is no where near what AJ is. But here is another though. Maybe the way the sox have played in the last week or so is playing tight knowing that this was coming down.

Absolutely, and on August 22nd when Colon was busted, I thought Konerko's comments about PEDs was very interesting. He said something along the lines of "people sometimes take things they didn't know could get them in trouble". To me, it raised some red flags and being the pessimist I am, it worried me someone on the Sox could be in trouble.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
If we knew every member of the 05 Sox that was on something, we'd probably cry.

Well maybe not cry, but you know what I mean.

It's still rampant. They aren't as potent as they used to be with 55-70 homers, but guys still want to risk it.

For me, I still want the Sox to win, but this would take away some enjoyment.

So many WS winners are teams with many players having careers years.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)
Absolutely, and on August 22nd when Colon was busted, I thought Konerko's comments about PEDs was very interesting. He said something along the lines of "people sometimes take things they didn't know could get them in trouble". To me, it raised some red flags and being the pessimist I am, it worried me someone on the Sox could be in trouble.

That certainly wouldn't bode well for the final 26 games...

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 01:45 AM)
If you really want to know whether or not this is true, find out where AJ is. If he's having a suspension announced tomorrow, then he's cleaned out his locker and left town. If he's out somewhere in Chicago, then no way he's getting suspended starting tomorrow.

That's probably true, but not necessarily. I think Melky had a press conference to apologize, didn't he? Unless it was a statement he issued.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)
Here is a good counter argument :

http://majorleagueaholes.com/2012/08/29/why-aj-is-clean/

His doubles are way down.

Also don't forget his 2011 ended early because of injury.

But that gave him more time to get ready for

Sounds like something a fan would write. It's not impossible for AJ to put up those numbers. A lot has to do with how other guys are hitting in the order. For all we know AJ might be suspended for something going on between him and an umpire or some unsportsmanlike infraction.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)
Sounds like something a fan would write. It's not impossible for AJ to put up those numbers. A lot has to do with how other guys are hitting in the order. For all we know AJ might be suspended for something going on between him and an umpire or some unsportsmanlike infraction.

Or gambling!

This wouldn't affect whether or not I want the team in the postseason or not, the 40-50% using estimate that re-surfaced in the last few pages is spot on if I had to take an (uneducated) guess. It's just the fact that it's happening to one of your guys, not one of your guys like Ozuna (or a stellar but otherwise faceless bullpen that was pretty much a myth a week into the next season)- a vital part of the team since he came here. I'd imagine anyone would prefer to be blissfully oblivious to something of this nature. It's a pretty ugly end to what could have been a great run. For me, I'd rather watch him hit .096 and be demoted to backup than to go out like this. Still, realistically there was going to be one last chance at a payday in his career. I suppose one could look at it that way and think about how they would act if presented with that reality...

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)
That's probably true, but not necessarily. I think Melky had a press conference to apologize, didn't he? Unless it was a statement he issued.

Probably scheduled so his team could pimp all the fake websites he bought. I still can't get over that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)

lol

there was a lot more going on with the melky incident. the whole website thing is hilarious

Edited by Real

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 08:52 PM)
lol

there was a lot more going on with the melky incident. the whole website thing is hilarious

AJ did play today. If he knew that he was going to

suspended then wouldn't he had acted differently or acknowledged

The crowd in any way. I didn't see the game. Did

he do anything differently?

Also wouldn't jr/kw/rv bench aj or any other player if

they knew a suspension was coming the next day?

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 10:25 PM)
AJ did play today. If he knew that he was going to

suspended then wouldn't he had acted differently or acknowledged

The crowd in any way. I didn't see the game. Did

he do anything differently?

Also wouldn't jr/kw/rv bench aj or any other player if

they knew a suspension was coming the next day?

I don't think you do much of anything until the info is public. You have to give him a chance to appeal and you have to give yourself the best chance to win within the rules. We've also seen a bit more of T-Flow lately.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 08:13 PM)
Ok I'll say it.

If this is true I don't want to make the playoffs this year.

Worst post ever. You have no idea who is or isn't using steroids across the league, yet you want to punish 24 innocent (as far as we know) people for a bad decision made by one teammate. I've never quite understood your position on steroids.

I think the guys who get caught certainly deserve some ire, but we all just have to keep in mind that those folks are by no means alone. I actually enjoy Victor Conte's views on the subject, he explained to me via Twitter one day exactly how an MLB player could get around the steroid testing. He also said "The Clear" still wouldn't cause a positive in many organizations (can't recall if MLB was one)

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)
Congrats Balta, you made the WORST POST EVER!

Sometimes you got to be a dick to make a point, but in all honesty, I can't comprehend how one could chear against their team over this. If the entire team had committed some god awful act, then sure I'd probably root against them. But over one guy using steroids or some other banned substance? No way in hell, not when every other team likely has their own guys doing some form of cheating.