9/6 Games

Cerbaho-WG

Charlotte vs. Indianapolis: http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...chraaa_indaaa_1

Pretty much everyone beat up on Gerrit Cole (8 ER). Phegley with another HR.

Winston-Salem (Snodgress) vs. Myrtle Beach: http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...myrafa_wswafa_1

Semien with a HR. Elimination game for W-S.

Great Falls: http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...grfrok_helrok_1

Edited by Cerbaho-WG

Ok, here is Hawkins HR from yesterday......can anyone tell me what the hell that ball is doing once it gets over the wall? It's seriously defying all laws of physics.

It looks as it it hits a pole, then comes back, then zigzags a couple times before it lands behind the fence. I can't figure out what the hell is happening.....

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=24543277

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
Charlotte wins. Take 2-0 lead in best-of-5. Going back to Charlotte for the rest of the series.

So I assume they'll win and have to play the PCL champion next week. Delaying more call ups.

This is the IL semi. There's a best of 5 (I think, could be best of 7) against the winner of the other semi. Then that winner takes on the PCL champ in a one game playoff.

As for Hawkins, what can be said. I know someone made a quip about not having a first rounder getting off to a hot start a few weeks ago. Can't say that anymore. He's the youngest in the league and tearing it up. He can start there next year with a chance to go to AA. He's the real deal.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 10:57 PM)
Ok, here is Hawkins HR from yesterday......can anyone tell me what the hell that ball is doing once it gets over the wall? It's seriously defying all laws of physics.

It looks as it it hits a pole, then comes back, then zigzags a couple times before it lands behind the fence. I can't figure out what the hell is happening.....

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=24543277

Seriously. Can anyone figure out what that ball is doing?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 08:32 AM)
So based on his performance does Hawkins crack BA's Top 100? You gotta think he kinda has to

Just scanning the bottom 20 or so guys in BA's last 100 list, I'd think Hawkins could very easily get in there. But he isn't helped by the fact that he's in a Sox system that is still seen as very, very thin (and with good reason, though I think it's getting better). Reputation of system plays a big role in this, whether they say it or not, and reputation lags reality.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
mlb.com came out with their top 100 list, and no White Sox players were on it

from mlb.com? The same contributors as the people who made that Top 20 White Sox prospects list that was just published? If so, I think we all know how useful that list will be.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 08:32 AM)
So based on his performance does Hawkins crack BA's Top 100? You gotta think he kinda has to

I could be wrong, but I feel like it's very rare for a team to have zero Top 100 prospects (BA's list). Therefore, I think either Hawkins or Thompson has to make it and based on his play at A/A+ I think Hawkins is the better prospect.

How many high-schoolers have jumped off to a start like this in recent years? He's also having a much superior year than Almora.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
I could be wrong, but I feel like it's very rare for a team to have zero Top 100 prospects (BA's list). Therefore, I think either Hawkins or Thompson has to make it and based on his play at A/A+ I think Hawkins is the better prospect.

How many high-schoolers have jumped off to a start like this in recent years? He's also having a much superior year than Almora.

Guys like Almora who have early big hype will stay on the list longer than they should in some cases, because the same people who hyped them are the same ones who influence the list. Also, there is just the practicality that it is very difficult to track and analyze so many prospects in baseball with any real depth of knowledge, so the big names just tend to do better in these lists, even if there are indications they aren't living up to expectations. Plus add in the team/system perception I noted before too.