The First Annual Steve9347 b**** about your Fantasy Teams here

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
It's football, you had an entire week to check lineups, unless you were waiting on a player that was a game time decision I don't feel particularly bad for anyone.

It was down starting around 11am. That's two hours pre-kickoff. I usually set a "just in case" lineup on Wednesdays but there were several key players listed as game time decisions this week. Yahoo went down about the same time as actives/inactives start rolling in

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
It was down starting around 11am. That's two hours pre-kickoff. I usually set a "just in case" lineup on Wednesdays but there were several key players listed as game time decisions this week. Yahoo went down about the same time as actives/inactives start rolling in

Yep and if you happened to have been unlucky enough to actually be moving a player to the bench, you were screwed.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
I set my line ups and then was changing players around that morning when the website went down...

How is that fair?

Some games I won, some I lost. DQ is fair because no one gets a benefit from yahoos malfunction.

I totally get that, but how is fair to Team A who beat Team B fair and square when both teams were unaffected? That's losing a legitimate victory for that team, when they may need it

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
I totally get that, but how is fair to Team A who beat Team B fair and square when both teams were unaffected? That's losing a legitimate victory for that team, when they may need it

Its troubling no doubt, but there is no "fair" way to do it. You either have people losing due to a website malfunction, people winning due to a malfunction, or no one getting anything due to malfunction.

I think scenario 3 is the most fair. If there is something broken with the game, it shouldnt count. It sucks for everyone because it really was yahoos issue. I dont really know what you do with this to be honest.

I get that most people are going to argue what benefits them. Its not just about your team, the question is did anyone in your league get screwed. Because 1 game having a different outcome could change the entire league.

Whatever happens Im sure yahoo will just say its free, you pay for what you get.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
I get that most people are going to argue what benefits them. Its not just about your team, the question is did anyone in your league get screwed. Because 1 game having a different outcome could change the entire league.

Whatever happens Im sure yahoo will just say its free, you pay for what you get.

This is interesting, because doesn't Yahoo have pay leagues this year? Wonder what will happen there. I'm sure it's covered somewhere in the terms and conditions

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)

This was in my inbox this AM.

Dear Yahoo! Fantasy Users,

I want to sincerely apologize to all of you about today's Yahoo! Sports Fantasy outage. As the head of Yahoo! Sports and as a Yahoo! Sports fantasy player myself, I am disappointed that we failed all of our fans today. Our first priority is having the best experience for our users, and today we fell short.

The outage started around Noon ET (awful timing we know) and while our team was on it immediately we are still working on various pieces. Our team is continuing to work on identifying and resolving the root cause. We have restored full functionality on the website, and we're working for a final fix for our mobile apps. Currently data and scores can be viewed but for now you cannot make transactions or change line-ups from the apps.

We will also use today as an opportunity to improve our set-up so that we hopefully never have an outage like this again. Our fantasy commissioners and players are our biggest priority - we pride ourselves in being able to offer our users with the best fantasy sports experience possible and we take our job to deliver that to you very seriously. Rest assured we will work hard to make sure we continue to deliver on that commitment.

Thanks for playing with us and your patience today,

Ken Fuchs

Head of Yahoo! Sports

Badger,

Why wouldn't you have just emailed your commissioner (or even the entire league)?

"Hey, it's 11:00, I want to put in X for Y but I can't since Yahoo is down, can this be documentation that I am making this change? It's in before kickoff, etc."

As a commissioner, that would work for me, you would be able to show the league the email and have that be the workaround for Yahoo being down.

Not sure why you wouldn't have done this.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)

If you have a 12 team league and we say 1 game were legit affected by the outage you are affecting 5 other games that were fine. In majority of leagues you'd be be screwing over a lot more teams.....

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
Badger,

Why wouldn't you have just emailed your commissioner (or even the entire league)?

"Hey, it's 11:00, I want to put in X for Y but I can't since Yahoo is down, can this be documentation that I am making this change? It's in before kickoff, etc."

As a commissioner, that would work for me, you would be able to show the league the email and have that be the workaround for Yahoo being down.

Not sure why you wouldn't have done this.

The only answer is because weve never even discussed what happens in the event of a system wide yahoo failure. The real issue was not being able to access the site at all, so you couldnt do any research, add drop players. I just kept refreshing because I assumed that it was a temporary issue.

Either way, I dont really care that much. I just think its an interesting situation.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
If you have a 12 team league and we say 1 game were legit affected by the outage you are affecting 5 other games that were fine. In majority of leagues you'd be be screwing over a lot more teams.....

I agree there is no good answer. Which is why I think its an interesting discussion.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
Anyone who makes this comment must not be in a very competitive league because teams dont even release who is officially active or inactive until after that time.

Yeah, but when a player is a game time decision I usually have my alternative in ahead of time in case I can't check Sunday before the games for whatever reason. If they are declared active I'll insert them.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 11:35 AM)
Yeah, but when a player is a game time decision I usually have my alternative in ahead of time in case I can't check Sunday before the games for whatever reason. If they are declared active I'll insert them.

Which is fine, but if youre in say a 14 team league, you dont have lots of depth, so you really need to know all the information, especially if there is any chance a big time player is going.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
Anyone who makes this comment must not be in a very competitive league because teams dont even release who is officially active or inactive until after that time.

Yeah but you usually know by Friday who is likely to play and you can have your lineup set beforehand. Who this past weekend was truly a 50/50 game time decision?

Then why not just lock rosters on Friday?

:)

You can act like you did something smart and set your roster early, but most people expect that if they get up an hour before kick off that they will have plenty of time to do whatever they want with their roster. Even worse, some people were actually editing rosters when the site went down.

Its just not something people expect. I dont put enough money into fantasy to care, but If I did and I lost because of it, Id be furious.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
The only answer is because weve never even discussed what happens in the event of a system wide yahoo failure. The real issue was not being able to access the site at all, so you couldnt do any research, add drop players. I just kept refreshing because I assumed that it was a temporary issue.

Either way, I dont really care that much. I just think its an interesting situation.

Who cares if it hasn't been discussed, it's a very easy fix. Who could argue against it? Site down, emailed commish/whole league beforehand, person gets those changes. I'm the commissioner of my league and would have done that without question. If it's after kickoff, obviously no dice.

You care enough to email Yahoo to say to take away all results from this past week...

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
Who cares if it hasn't been discussed, it's a very easy fix. Who could argue against it? Site down, emailed commish/whole league beforehand, person gets those changes. I'm the commissioner of my league and would have done that without question. If it's after kickoff, obviously no dice.

You care enough to email Yahoo to say to take away all results from this past week...

Who could argue against it?

"The site wasnt down for me, why are they getting special treatment."

Im not exactly a huge fan of setting the precedent that the commissioner can change line ups if they receive an email. To me that just seems it will lead to more problems. This was hopefully a 1 time occurrence, where the actual site was down.

It was just an odd event, for most of the day I couldnt even log in to see what I had actually set.

(edit)

And as I said, I won some and lost some. I just think its an interesting occurrence.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
That's a silly comment given a lot of player news comes down in the hour leading up to kickoff.

I realize that sometimes you might need to make a last second change, although there weren't any major surprise inactives this past weekend. My point is that you should set your lineup the best you can earlier in the week, not wait until Sunday morning to look at it.

No one could get on during that window, so that person would be lying.

If you had time to write an email, clearly you were at a computer/phone to change the lineup, and the site wouldn't allow it. As long as it's in before kickoff, another league member really wouldn't have a good argument against it.