AJ Appreciation Thread

Chisoxfn

In the midst of the false accusations, I think now is as good a time as any to have a nice AJ appreciation thread. AJ has been an above average player for this club for a long time and he's having a hell of a year in what has been one of the funnest seasons to date that I can remember.

AJ helped bring this club its 1st championship in a long time and here's to hoping he helps bring a 2nd world series championship to Chicago this year!!!!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
In the midst of the false accusations, I think now is as good a time as any to have a nice AJ appreciation thread. AJ has been an above average player for this club for a long time and he's having a hell of a year in what has been one of the funnest seasons to date that I can remember.

AJ helped bring this club its 1st championship in a long time and here's to hoping he helps bring a 2nd world series championship to Chicago this year!!!!

AJ is one of the main reasons for the 2005 championship and for much of the success the Sox have had since. He certainly has provided many memorable moments, big hits and heads up play.

AJ has been one of the most durable players around despite the fact that he plays one of the most physically demanding positions.

I certainly hope AJ finishes his playing career with the White Sox and then stays on with the organization either as a broadcaster or a coach if he so desires.

"He's the last guy that would every test positive for anything. He won't even drink an energy drink" - White Sox teammate on Pierzynski

That's the post I liked the most.

Go AJP! I hope he's our next manager whenever Robin decides it's not worth the angst anymore.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)
Yeah...no one expected him to homer tonight I'm sure.

Yes, I'm tooting my own horn in more than one place

I'll toot my own horn as many times as she'll let me.

Oh, and above average player? AJ has been the best and most consistent catcher for the White Sox in 20 years. We are closing into the period where number retiring becomes a legitimate question. He's been that incredible.

I remember when he signed, because it was such an obvious signing at the time but there were any number of rumors regarding his whereabouts, yet it seems like he's been with the Sox forever and ever. At this point, I think it would be just as weird to see him in a different uniform as it did Buehrle or Thomas, even considering he's played for 2 other MLB teams.

Edited by witesoxfan

"Everyone wants a villain." A.J. Pierzynski. And he's ours.

As a kid, Louie Aparicio was my favorite player and I have continued to think of him as my all-time favorite. If I think about it realistically though, A.J. has replaced Little Louie as my favorite White Sox player ever. There have been so many great A.J. moments. My favorite from this year was A.J. scoring from first on Alexei's infield grounder against the A's.

Like someone else said, I hope when A.J.'s playing days are over he remains with the Sox as either a broadcaster or a coach.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 12:57 AM)

Yes sir. And here is hoping we sign him again

AJ is still maybe the most underrated Sox player I've seen as a fan. He gets s*** on time and again on this board and it's always the same crap, i.e. he's too old, he can't continue to be so durable, his OPS isn't as high as it needs to be (he's a catcher), how so-and-so is/will be a better hitter because apparently AJ's offense is so easy to replace, blah blah blah, and then you have the same posters who always insist they have these "inside" sources who say he's so terrible and nobody really likes him.

Of course it's just about all bulls***, and the only real complaint is his inability to throw out runners. Aside from that, AJ is a tough out who knows the game and is tough as nails. He's clutch. He hits very well for a catcher. He takes a beating & he doesn't complain. He annoys the s*** out of the opposition but he works great with young pitchers. AJ is the one guy on the field who is always a step ahead of everyone else; while most players just try to make the physical plays, AJ is also out-thinking his opponent.

And going further, AJ might not have the personality to be a manager, but he'd make one hell of a bench coach. But if I had to guess his destiny I'd say he's Hawk's replacement down the road, and Sox fans will be just as lucky to go from Hawk to AJ as the Bulls fans who lost Johnny Red Kerr but picked up Stacey King. I just think commentating is the perfect fit for him. When his career is over his number belongs on the wall & he seems to be the type of baseball mind/character that maybe even one day ends up in the Hall if he sticks around the game long enough.

He's really nothing like MB in terms of the personality he shows and the way the rest of the league views him, but both are equally rock solid yet consistently under-appreciated by Sox fans. I hope AJ sticks around here for another year or two, but if he gets a big payday & we're not the ones to offer it then good luck to him, same as MB. No matter what I'd like to see him end his career here & then stick around after it in some capacity.