Which loss was most annoying/agonizing this year?

caulfield12

I bolded the ones I remember the most or best/worst

4/16 BALT 4-1 lead into the 8th, 4-2 into the 9th, Santiago's first blown save, Zach Stewart loses in extras

4/24 OAK tied 0-0 into the 8th, Matt Thornton

4/25 OAK Sox tied it 2-2 in the 9th, Hector with his 2nd blown save in the 14th, started that inning with a 4-2 lead

5/2 CLE tied 3-3 going into the 8th, Ohman

5/4 DET leading 4-2 into the 7th, 4-3 into the 9th, Thornton

5/7 CLE tied 2-2 into the bottom of the 8th, Thornton

5/13 KCR Thornton leading 1-0 into 7th, roof caves in and Sox go on to lose 9-1

5/15 DET Peavy leading and coasting 6-0 into the top of the 6th, Peavy/Ohman

6/2 SEA leading 8-7 into the bottom of the 8th, Crain/Reed

6/15 LAD leading 5-1 into the 6th, Sale over Kershaw, tied going into bottom of 8th, Crain/Thornton

6/17 LAD leading 1-0 into the bottom of the 9th, Quintana start I think, Thornton/Reed

6/22 MILW tied 0-0 into the 10th, Jesse Crain

7/16 BOS tied 1-1 into the bottom of the 8th, A-Gone homer off Leyson Septimo

7/19 BOS leading 1-0 into the bottom of the 9th, Quintana again, Thornton and Reed collapse, Cody Ross walk off

7/30 MINN tied 6-6 going into the bottom of the 9th, AJ throws the ball down the RF line, Myers

8/4 LAA tied 5-5 going into the bottom of the 10th, Thornton

8/11 OAK leading 7-6 going into the 8th, Thornton

8/13 TOR tied 2-2 into the 11th, Septimo

8/19 KCR tied 2-2 into the bottom of the 8th, Crain

9/7 KCR Sox blow numerous scoring opportunities, Reed gives up the 2 run bomb to Hollywood Cain

On the plus side, of our 18 blown saves, 3rd in the majors, only 11 of them have turned into losses.

Jones and Reed both blew saves against the Royals but we managed to win 9-8 in the Greg775 Friday Night Frustration/Jubilation game

The amazing 9-8 comeback victory against the Mariners where we were leading big-time, started the 9th with Humber/Veal and then Reed gave up the lead only to rally the next inning.

3-2 over the Cubs, Thornton with the blown save.

5-3 over the Indians, Sale with his only relief appearance of the season, and a blown save.

7-4 over the Mariners, Crain

8-6 over the Brewers, Ohman

That first game against the Tigers in Sweep 2, Fister on the bump....we had a HUGE chance to take that game with the bases loaded, tie game (Wise had already forced in a run with hbp I think) and YOUK ripped a liner to 3B, Dunn K's and Paulie sulked/grounded out.

That and the Lance Lynn/Peavy 1-0 game in St. Louis, that Konerko hit into a DP with a chance to tie the game in the 9th inning.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 01:47 AM)
I bolded the ones I remember the most or best/worst

4/16 BALT 4-1 lead into the 8th, 4-2 into the 9th, Santiago's first blown save, Zach Stewart loses in extras

4/24 OAK tied 0-0 into the 8th, Matt Thornton

4/25 OAK Sox tied it 2-2 in the 9th, Hector with his 2nd blown save in the 14th, started that inning with a 4-2 lead

5/2 CLE tied 3-3 going into the 8th, Ohman

5/4 DET leading 4-2 into the 7th, 4-3 into the 9th, Thornton

5/7 CLE tied 2-2 into the bottom of the 8th, Thornton

5/13 KCR Thornton leading 1-0 into 7th, roof caves in and Sox go on to lose 9-1

5/15 DET Peavy leading and coasting 6-0 into the top of the 6th, Peavy/Ohman

6/2 SEA leading 8-7 into the bottom of the 8th, Crain/Reed

6/15 LAD leading 5-1 into the 6th, Sale over Kershaw, tied going into bottom of 8th, Crain/Thornton

6/17 LAD leading 1-0 into the bottom of the 9th, Quintana start I think, Thornton/Reed

6/22 MILW tied 0-0 into the 10th, Jesse Crain

7/16 BOS tied 1-1 into the bottom of the 8th, A-Gone homer off Leyson Septimo

7/19 BOS leading 1-0 into the bottom of the 9th, Quintana again, Thornton and Reed collapse, Cody Ross walk off

7/30 MINN tied 6-6 going into the bottom of the 9th, AJ throws the ball down the RF line, Myers

8/4 LAA tied 5-5 going into the bottom of the 10th, Thornton

8/11 OAK leading 7-6 going into the 8th, Thornton

8/13 TOR tied 2-2 into the 11th, Septimo

8/19 KCR tied 2-2 into the bottom of the 8th, Crain

9/7 KCR Sox blow numerous scoring opportunities, Reed gives up the 2 run bomb to Hollywood Cain

On the plus side, of our 18 blown saves, 3rd in the majors, only 11 of them have turned into losses.

Jones and Reed both blew saves against the Royals but we managed to win 9-8 in the Greg775 Friday Night Frustration/Jubilation game

The amazing 9-8 comeback victory against the Mariners where we were leading big-time, started the 9th with Humber/Veal and then Reed gave up the lead only to rally the next inning.

3-2 over the Cubs, Thornton with the blown save.

5-3 over the Indians, Sale with his only relief appearance of the season, and a blown save.

7-4 over the Mariners, Crain

8-6 over the Brewers, Ohman

The team is in first place. They were expected to be terrible. Even you put a stake in their coffin the first week of the season and said they wouldn't be good for a long time. Now you spend either spend your time researching their losses or have made notes highlighting their losses. Either way, unless you love to be miserable,don't you have anything more enjoyable to do? I think you picked this up in Iowa. I was at the Iowa/Iowa St. game yesterday and the family behind me made your negativity child's play. The father was done by halftime as his screaming at the Hawkeyes caused him to lose his voice. He did say James Morris was having the worst game he's ever seen a LB have. He's seen good LB work as Morris only had 12 tackles, a fumble recovery and an INT. The second half, his wife took over. See was b****ing at Iowa letting a kick returner return the ball to the 23. Why do the spend the money and the time if they are not going to enjoy themselves?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 06:48 AM)
The team is in first place. They were expected to be terrible. Even you put a stake in their coffin the first week of the season and said they wouldn't be good for a long time. Now you spend either spend your time researching their losses or have made notes highlighting their losses. Either way, unless you love to be miserable,don't you have anything more enjoyable to do? I think you picked this up in Iowa. I was at the Iowa/Iowa St. game yesterday and the family behind me made your negativity child's play. The father was done by halftime as his screaming at the Hawkeyes caused him to lose his voice. He did say James Morris was having the worst game he's ever seen a LB have. He's seen good LB work as Morris only had 12 tackles, a fumble recovery and an INT. The second half, his wife took over. See was b****ing at Iowa letting a kick returner return the ball to the 23. Why do the spend the money and the time if they are not going to enjoy themselves?

staregonk.gif

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)

I don't think anyone can describe the feeling of Bobby Jenks coming into games in the 2nd half of 2010 or Reed this year as "enjoyable" by any stretch of the imagination.

Part of being a Sox fan is also being prepared for the possibility of a loss.

Can you honestly say you sat through all the innings of each of the last 6 losses in Detroit? I would almost think doing so would be a bit sadistic and depressing.

For example, I completely forgot Iowa and Iowa State were playing because the White Sox are actually in a pennant race again this year. This goes to show the problems the Iowa football program has, the fact that many fans don't even care about the team this season. It used to be in a past year, I would be so upset if we lost to Iowa State and be ready to jump off a ledge. It happened in 2002, when they would have had a perfect season that year if not for a disastrous second half against Iowa State. That's when we had Brad Banks, Dallas Clark, Rob Gallery and Bob Sanders.

In all honesty, Iowa State probably, maybe not even probably, undoubtedly, has more talent than Iowa.

That's why being a White Sox fan was so frustrating the last decade plus, we were more talented in many aspects than the Twins, and yet they consistenly beat us every season, with the exception of their falling apart the last 10 days in 2008 and the Rick Hahn's son induced lucky coin flip resulting in Game 163 at USCF.

The White Sox had lost 6 in a row to the Royals coming into that game last night but I still woke up at 430 am and listened to the entire game, even though MLB.TV was blacked out.

If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't watch. That said, there are times, like the Sunday of the first Detroit sweep or during the second sweep when Scherzer was pitching it was better for me to just turn it off and not get upset, not read all the negative newspaper articles, not go to the gamethread and read Caesar's comments at that moment.

The real reason I did that is because it seems like we had about 30 horrible losses this season that could have gone either way...and it reality, it was closer to 10 or so.

Those losses get magnified, in some ways, because they hurt a lot more than the joy of the winning comebacks, like the 9-8 game against the Royals or the comeback against the Mariners when we had just blown one of the biggest 9th inning leads of the entire season in the majors. Or last night's game, for another example, where the victory came more with a sense of relief than of celebration...which is undoubtedly reflected in the Game Thread and also the post-game comments by many, I'm sure you could easily note.

And I also discovered that that we'd only lost 11 of the games we had blown saves in....the other 7 (two were in a single game) resulted in the Sox eventually coming back to win.

Last year, when that situation transpired, 90% of the time, maybe even 95%, the Sox were dead in the water and there would be no signs of resiliency or a comeback. That hasn't been the case this year.

Finally, just in terms of being a baseball fan fascinated by psychology, I'd love to believe that KW, after all this time as GM, would have discovered some insight that would help to prevent him from assembling teams that crumble consistently in the face of the same opposition. You would have thought the additions of Youkilis, Liriano, Myers and Wise would be enough to counter-balance the ingrained "hopelessness" of losing at Detroit and previously at Minnesota.

Edited by caulfield12

And finally, Monday through Thursday will be fascinating for another reason, from a sports psychology perspective.

How can the city of Detroit, suffering from such economic devastation, have thousands of baseball fans who have been travelling all over the country this year (they packed Wrigley Field, for example) to follow their pretty shockingly disappointing team (based on pre-season projections) end up being in a situation where they still might outdraw Sox fans for a series IN CHICAGO? Is it simply because they have owned the Sox recently? That no matter how badly Verlander has been on the road after the middle of July, they still believe deep down he will rise to the occasion and vanquish Sale and the Sox?

In some ways, we should consider ourselves fortunate we're not playing those games on the weekend, because USCF would be swamped with Detroit fans. As it is, that effect will be nullified a bit.

I would think JR would rather give away tickets to anyone willing to support his team than see the stadium packed with Tigers' fans, to the point where listening on the radio broadcast you can't tell if the play's going for or against the Sox. And yet, as a realistic baseball fan, you have to know that all the revenue derived from this next week will hopefully be applied to putting together the most competitive payroll and roster together for 2013.

Edited by caulfield12

Sports is all Detroit has left, it brings them together....

Why must you bring up a negative thread after a big win and a Detroit loss?? Haven't looked around the board yet today but are people being to positive or something??

Eff the past we have a 2 game lead, Detroits going against one of the hottest pitchers in baseball, and I feel good about Santiago going for us on the bump. A 3 game lead is very possible going into a series at home against a Tigers team thats not very good on the road.

How about we just sit back relax and strap it down folk. There's no point in looking in the past when the future is far more important right now.......

BTW Caulfield, with that disney channel chick as your avi and the 12 in you name I always imagine you as a 12 year old boy lol just sayin

The Fenway game when Ross hit the walk-off three run bomb was by far the worst for me. I remember I was just getting ready to go see "The Dark Knight Rises" midnight premiere with some of my friends, and that loss was a serious buzzkill before leaving for the theater.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
The Fenway game when Ross hit the walk-off three run bomb was by far the worst for me. I remember I was just getting ready to go see "The Dark Knight Rises" midnight premiere with some of my friends, and that loss was a serious buzzkill before leaving for the theater.

Maybe the Tigers really need the four-game series with the White Sox that opens Monday night in Chicago. They haven't done well against anyone else lately. The Tigers swept three games from the White Sox last weekend. Other than that, they're 1-7 in their last eight games.

That night's Batman premiere in Aurora, Colorado, kind of put the whole world of sports back into some perspective.

If Jackson could play SS, 3B and 2B, lol.

Don't forget DeAza out at the plate, AJ picked off between 1st and 2nd when he thought he'd homered and didn't run hard out of the box...Alexei Ramirez gunned down at 3rd trying to go 1st to 3rd on Francouer.

Ramirez coming through with the ONLY hit of the game with RISP and it ONLY ended up loading the bases due to Gordon's arm in LF.