CTU is Going on Strike

DukeNukeEm

Just announced.

Unbelievable. The nerve of them when real unemployment is over 10%, the city is broke, the state is broke... the damn country is broke and they turn down that offer from the city? f*** the teachers. I hope all of them who are walking out never step foot in our cities' classrooms again.

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell is happening right now? Are the schools closing down?

Yes. CBU offered them a deal of 4% raises per year and no increase in health insurance premiums, the union turned it down, and now we've got a strike. I'd love to see Rahm pull a Reagan here and just break the union in half but I doubt it happens.

What a joke. You can't walk out on the kids. It's fine to demand more money or benefits or better work environments, but who loses most when the teachers go on strike? It's not the union, it's not the city, it's the kids. Try to get a deal done but do your f***ing job in the mean time. This has been one of the most violent summers in history. Here's a bright idea, let's cancel school and put more kids on the street instead of in classrooms.

Guess what, everyone else in the f***ing country is working their ass off in s***ty work places and getting less money than they deserve too.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 11:53 PM)
What a joke. You can't walk out on the kids. It's fine to demand more money or benefits or better work environments, but who loses most when the teachers go on strike? It's not the union, it's not the city, it's the kids. Try to get a deal done but do your f***ing job in the mean time. This has been one of the most violent summers in history. Here's a bright idea, let's cancel school and put more kids on the street instead of in classrooms.

Guess what, everyone else in the f***ing country is working their ass off in s***ty work places and getting less money than they deserve too.

stop it right this instant! youre making way too much sense

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 04:53 AM)

Great post. I was reading the IHSHAA may rule against letting the kids practice. Coaches are going to take them to city parks to practice football cause the football coaches are concerned the kids in these bad neighborhoods will just quit the sport and go to the streets. Teachers are making a big mistake here. In this economy what's wrong with a 4 percent raise and no rise in health benefit costs? What do they want 10 percent? Good for them I guess if they can get it.

Great post. I was reading the IHSHAA may rule against letting the kids practice. Coaches are going to take them to city parks to practice football cause the football coaches are concerned the kids in these bad neighborhoods will just quit the sport and go to the streets. Teachers are making a big mistake here. In this economy what's wrong with a 4 percent raise and no rise in health benefit costs? What do they want 10 percent? Good for them I guess if they can get it.

They want 19%.

I respect the unions belief that they should be reimbursed for having to work longer hours now, but 19% increase seems extreme.

I don't really know much about this stuff so I am sure there is more to it than what we know.

from Fox News:

The district offered a cost-of-living raise of 2 percent a year for four years, which the union said was unacceptable — especially after Mayor Rahm Emanuel last year canceled a previously negotiated 4 percent raise, citing budget problems. A school district spokeswoman has said that raise will not be made up and the district will not address it in negotiations. The union has lowered the amount it’s asking for, but has not said what its counterproposal is now. Only weeks ago, it sought a 19 percent raise in the first year of the contract.

The union also is concerned about raises based on teacher experience and education. It has said the district agreed to retain language allowing raises based on experience, called step increases, but it would not actually pay the money now. Keeping the language in the contract, though, could be important for teachers in future negotiations.

Teachers also are concerned about new teacher evaluations, health benefits and how a longer school day for students is being implemented.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
If you increase the work day, you have to expect to increase pay by a similar proportion

Even Rich Daley wasn't dumb enough to cancel a collectively bargained raise and then unilaterally try to impose a longer school day/year. And that dude bulldozed an airport.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 11:53 PM)

Teachers are getting f***ed over hard here and this is their only leverage.