CTU is Going on Strike

DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
You're right; their days are about 25% longer now, and that 19% would include their cancelled cost-of-living adjustment as well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 08:33 AM)
Really? I thought it was only 30 minutes longer. Never mind then.

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the children's lives as leverage? That's noble.

The problem is that in the current system this is the only leverage they have.

The entire American education system is messed up. In most areas of the country, the bulk of education funding comes from property or other taxes that are voted on at the local level. This needs to stop. I'd stop short of federalizing it, but having teacher contracts negotiated and paid for at the state level would be a start.

Considering their workdays got more than 20% longer, they pay has been frozen for some years, their class sizes are already way beyond average... I don't really see why asking for 19% is out of line. I think they also make good points about class size itself, needing supplies and books when classes start, and some other areas. Though I do disagree with some of the seniority rules they are pushing.

Bottom line, I think they have some very good arguments, and I don't blame them for being upset and pushing things. And a strike was the only real recourse they have, which sucks for everyone.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
The problem is that in the current system this is the only leverage they have.

The entire American education system is messed up. In most areas of the country, the bulk of education funding comes from property or other taxes that are voted on at the local level. This needs to stop. I'd stop short of federalizing it, but having teacher contracts negotiated and paid for at the state level would be a start.

SS2K5 and I discussed this at length in this forum before, as have others - the funding issue is a pretty major part of the problem. Although it is worth noting, the funding gaps in the Chicago Metro are actually a lot less dramatic than they were before (in terms of funding per student - not talking teacher pay here). Back in the early 90's when I was a college student, we read Kozol's book "Savage Inequalities", and it was striking the difference in funding levels between New Trier and De LaSalle (two schools he used as examples in his book). NT was getting like 3 times as much money per student. Now, NT gets about 1.5 times as much - still a lot more, but not nearly as profound.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 11:53 PM)
Guess what, everyone else in the f***ing country is working their ass off in s***ty work places and getting less money than they deserve too.

Ah, yes, everyone should be as pathetic as me in my working conditions.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)
Using the children's lives as leverage? That's noble.

You could say the same thing of administration's actions; forcing teachers to play the only card they had (withholding labor) by only offering hugely unfair contract terms and refusing to improve classroom circumstances is not particularly noble.

"Think of the children!" cuts both ways.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
You could say the same thing of administration's actions; forcing teachers to play the only card they had (withholding labor) by only offering hugely unfair contract terms and refusing to improve classroom circumstances is not particularly noble.

Yet many of the administrative employees are spending the morning at schools watching children because the teachers decided not to show up to work today.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
Ah, yes, everyone should be as pathetic as me in my working conditions.

I thought it was all 'shared sacrifice' and 'everyone must have some skin in the game'? Why should teachers be immune from market forces that effect everyone else? And it isn't like they are being paid pennies. A first year teacher with just a BA, under the previous contract, gets almost $45k plus benefits. I am sure in some locations, that is no where near enough. But in other I am sure it is quite fine.

http://www.ctunet.com/grievances/text/2007....pdf?1294199486

pg 126

edit

Sorry, $45k was 2008 salaries, 2010 was $52.5. Still pretty good.

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)

There are too many teachers with a martyr complex. Talk as if it is some noble deed they do to teach and that they do it for the kids, then b**** endlessly about pay. Don't pretend what you do is akin to a holy calling and then play hardball for your contract. Are you thinking of the children or your bottom line? neither one is wrong, just be upfront about it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 08:30 AM)
They added 90 minutes, how long is the school day?

They changed that plan, the school day is only being extended 60 minutes. That brings CPS close, but still under the national average for length of school day (among other big cities).

Oh, and the average CPS teacher makes 76,000 per year (highest in the nation).

Not to mention how, year after year, CPS fails to graduate half its students. I know that teachers aren't the only ones to blame, but how about getting some value for our tax dollars?

Apparently, the main issue is whether or not principals should be able to fire teachers. CTU vehemently opposes that. This is a NATIONAL issue and I feel like Karen Lewis and the CTU are getting pressured from other unions to fight this one hard. If CPS can fire teachers without the ridiculous grievance/arbitration process, then that will set a standard for the nation.

I know a lot of good teachers, but I feel like these changes need to be made. I support the Mayor on this one, I hope he wins.

I just dont understand how things are that bad. These arent coal miners who are injured at a high clip and being given no health insurance.

I know a lot of people who would take considerably less to work in CPS. That is the part teachers dont seem to understand right now. Maybe back in the day people didnt want to be teachers, but now a ton do because it has good benefits, good pay and a pretty laid back lifestyle.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
I just dont understand how things are that bad. These arent coal miners who are injured at a high clip and being given no health insurance.

I know a lot of people who would take considerably less to work in CPS. That is the part teachers dont seem to understand right now. Maybe back in the day people didnt want to be teachers, but now a ton do because it has good benefits, good pay and a pretty laid back lifestyle.

I disagree that it's a pretty laid back lifestyle. I think for most good CPS teachers, it's the opposite. Trying to get kids to learn when their families don't give a s*** etc. . .

But I just feel like they're already well compensated for their jobs. They have good salary and benefit programs. What about the tax payers? The financial situation of the Chicago Public Schools is in really bad shape. The situation of the State of Illinois – which helps fund the Chicago Public Schools is in really bad shape. The property tax payers in Chicago are beleaguered. There is a big drop in property values, and asking them to pay increased property taxes, so that appropriately paid teachers can get a raise is tough.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
Pay them more, allow principals/administrators to fire people. Done and done.

From what I've read, CPS has agreed to 4% raises each year for 4 years (16% total). CTU is fine with that, but won't budge on the termination issue.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
I disagree that it's a pretty laid back lifestyle. I think for most good CPS teachers, it's the opposite. Trying to get kids to learn when their families don't give a s*** etc. . .

They get summer vacation, winter vacation and spring vacation. For the most part they never have to work on the weekends. I would kill for that.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 12:59 PM)
They get summer vacation, winter vacation and spring vacation. For the most part they never have to work on the weekends. I would kill for that.

You obviously have no idea what teachers do. Its the only occupation I know of that you can only do half of your job while you are on the clock.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
You obviously have no idea what teachers do. Its the only occupation I know of that you can only do half of your job while you are on the clock.

My clock never turns off. I am literally on call 24 hours a day, every single day, without exception.

At any time my phone can ring with an emergency.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
my wife was working until almost midnight this past saturday. Plus, you don't get much time during the day to sit at a desk and post on SoxTalk if you're a teacher. You can't take that trip to the bathroom or the water cooler to break away for a few minutes if you're handling a classroom.

I get to sit at my desk and play on Soxtalk because I can multitask and take care of 1) a client on the phone, 2) writing nonsense and 3) posting on Soxtalk.

Most jobs have out of work responsibility. Yet only 1 job gets that amount of time off. If being a teacher is so bad, why are all the teacher fairs jammed with people praying for a job?

Edited by Soxbadger

If people decided to up and go on strike in most jobs, they'd get fired and replaced with someone willing to put up with the crap. CPS teachers apparently don't have to worry about that.

I know lots and lots young teachers who would KILL to have the opportunity to do exactly what the teachers now are doing, for the same compensation.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
If people decided to up and go on strike in most jobs, they'd get fired and replaced with someone willing to put up with the crap. CPS teachers apparently don't have to worry about that.

Thanks to union organization. It's unfortunate that all labor isn't represented so that they can't be trampled by management without a say.