CTU is Going on Strike

DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
I don't think you do, actually. You are still entitled to what you put in. You're pension doesn't change that. You are just not eligible to contribute more or continue taking part.

I do lose it. It's called the Windfall act or something to that effect. I cannot draw from my pension and social security. I have to pick one.

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Huh? So you're saying teachers should only get paid for the time that they are literally in the classroom teaching?

Are you required to do administrative tasks for your job on your own time and dime? You reconcile your expense reports over the weekend without getting paid?

Absolutely. And I would bet that the higher up the food chain you go, the more likely that is to happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
Seriously, when's a good time to do this? They probably had cause to do a walkout a year ago or whenever it was that the city broke the last contract and didn't give them the raise that was in the contract. The economy's been depressed for basically 5 years now, and I'll bet they got more generous salary increases when there was the last negotiation during the housing boom. When would that statement be inapplicable?

A better time would be not in an election year when other people want to completely destroy unions. On one hand you have a side saying, its just not a good time, lets figure things out. On the other hand you have a side saying, lets kill unions.

Is now really a good time to push the side that is slightly in your favor?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
52 minutes for elementary, 46 for high school and 10 additional days according to this announcement. I believe the exact details on additional teacher hours changed over the summer, though.

So that includes having the extra teachers? Even after that, they add the time too? And the additional days? Interesting. That makes for about an hour a day added, that would be like 15% increased time. Not quite the 20% I saw (and was quoting) earlier, but still worth noting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
I really doubt the typical person pulling in 70-80k a year is working 40 hours a week. I sure don't see it.

Don't you see? Everyone who is not a teacher clocks out at exactly 40:00 hours per week! And they all take super crazy long lunches paid for by their employer! And they never, ever even think of work when outside the office! And there are always strippers and cocaine freely available.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
Don't you see? Everyone who is not a teacher clocks out at exactly 40:00 hours per week! And they all take super crazy long lunches paid for by their employer! And they never, ever even think of work when outside the office! And there are always strippers and cocaine freely available.

I need to renegotiate my benefits package.

And they post on Soxtalk while snorting cocaine off a strippers body. That's how much free time they have during the day!!!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 08:59 PM)
So that includes having the extra teachers? Even after that, they add the time too? And the additional days? Interesting. That makes for about an hour a day added, that would be like 15% increased time.

It doesn't say that extra instructional time is on the existing teachers' workload. I think that time is for the new art/music/foreign language teachers who are supposed to be hired.

It does say the existing teachers time at school is lengthened by 85 minutes, which according to that site is for additional prep time and professional development, which supposedly they're currently doing at home.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
It doesn't say that extra instructional time is on the existing teachers' workload. I think that time is for the new art/music/foreign language teachers who are supposed to be hired.

It does say the existing teachers time at school is lengthened by 85 minutes, which according to that site is for additional prep time and professional development, which supposedly they're currently doing at home.

Interesting. That article was from April... I wonder if it changed at all. And the article isn't specific. Seems like we are missing a lot of info on how much extra time the teachers are actually working, how much of it might just be shifted, and if some number of new teachers were or were not hired. Because the hours did increase.

Hopefully when this thing ends, we can see the final reality of these things.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
A better time would be not in an election year when other people want to completely destroy unions. On one hand you have a side saying, its just not a good time, lets figure things out. On the other hand you have a side saying, lets kill unions.

Is now really a good time to push the side that is slightly in your favor?

Which election? Chicago Mayoral election (2010-2011)? Illinois Governor election? (2010)?

And at what point in the near future do you expect the Republicans to stop trying to kill all unions?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
Which election? Chicago Mayoral election (2010-2011)? Illinois Governor election? (2010)?

And at what point in the near future do you expect the Republicans to stop trying to kill all unions?

I'll be happy when the public sector unions are gone.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)

That is exactly how I understood it. They are at school longer hours but it is not spent with students. Instead of having to take this work home they do it in school while the students are at a new curricula session. Instead of working through lunch and leaving 45 minutes early, they are now forced to take the lunch.

The educational accomplishment guaranteed pay increase are another item all together. If I get my MBA my current employer is not obligated to increase my pay because of it.

The benefits package is a whole other issue unto itself.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)

National elections.

How much traction do Republicans currently have in Chicago?

This strike is actually making people re-think their position supporting unions. Imo this is going down the road of unmitigated disaster for the union.

The average full-time employee works 20 hours more PER YEAR than the average elementary school teacher! And LESS than the average high school teacher! According to BLS data! Don't you see???

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
That is exactly how I understood it. They are at school longer hours but it is not spent with students. Instead of having to take this work home they do it in school while the students are at a new curricula session. Instead of working through lunch and leaving 45 minutes early, they are now forced to take the lunch.

The educational accomplishment guaranteed pay increase are another item all together. If I get my MBA my current employer is not obligated to increase my pay because of it.

The benefits package is a whole other issue unto itself.

Instructional hours for children are longer as well as having an additional 10 days. I'm not sure if those additional instructional hours are covered by current teachers or not.