CTU is Going on Strike

DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
Better in an electricians pocket, supporting the middle class and circulating back t through the economy than in some rich guys offshore tax haven.

Yet another nonsensical statement from you.

How about putting it in the pocket of a NON-union middle class guy who runs his own handyman business, who woud do the SAME quality of work for 1/10th the cost? Oh, no, we couldn't have that...not from a union loving goon like yourself. :P

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)
Only if you conflate everything as a "benefit"

But then I'd ask you to define something that benefits the children that wouldn't benefit the teachers that they could strike over. We should be wanting to make their jobs easier so that they are more effective.

They will be NO more effective after this strike ends.

How much would you like to bet that the school system continues to get worse, despite all of these "added awesome benefits for the children"? :P

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
Read some literature on modern life in Appalachia. not everyone has the opportunities and advantages we did growing up.

Better in an electricians pocket, supporting the middle class and circulating back t through the economy than in some rich guys offshore tax haven.

You mean back into the hands of the union and union bosses/lobbyist to fund their offshore tax haven?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)

How about putting it in the pocket of a NON-union middle class guy who runs his own handyman business, who woud do the SAME quality of work for 1/10th the cost? Oh, no, we couldn't have that...not from a union loving goon like yourself. :P

Or that too.

At this point I have to back off this thread, because I realize I'm just trolling SS at this point...

I'm anti-union, so having discussions about the benefits of them isn't easy...I see them do more harm than good these days. They were more necessary before workers rights existed. I think I'd have less of a problem with unions if they weren't the political/bureaucratic organizations they've become. They don't stand for the same ideal they original did...they're a corrupted bastardization of what they once were...where the guys at the top of the union are now just as rich (if not richer) than politicians, all the while stealing from their own pensions/union members, not to mention brokering deals that are back breaking to cities/states/people.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 08:31 AM)
These are, in my view, two very different scenarios (Lake Forest vs Chicago). CPS teachers make about half what LF teachers do, and CPS is pushing for lots of different changes, many of which are directly beneficial to students (like class size limits). LF, with their 6 figure average salaries, is just asking for more money, at a time when government is feeling the economic pinch. I really don't have any sympathy at all for the Lake Forest teachers, and they definitely overplayed their hand. CPS, I actually agree with the teachers on some of what they are trying to do.

No it's the exact same thing.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)

Must have Davis Bacon :headbang

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
They will be NO more effective after this strike ends.

How much would you like to bet that the school system continues to get worse, despite all of these "added awesome benefits for the children"? :P

I will venture to say that they will be more effective in teaching a class of 25 students versus a class of 35 students. However, I don't think this let get through so it's a moot point.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
I will venture to say that they will be more effective in teaching a class of 25 students versus a class of 35 students. However, I don't think this let get through so it's a moot point.

Here's my problem with that being a part of the debate. If those are really the issues, why not forgo the raises to specifically take care of problems such as classsize, supplies, classroom conditions, etc? If it isn't about money, don't take the money that could be used to address the "real" problems, and put it in your pocket.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
Here's my problem with that being a part of the debate. If those are really the issues, why not forgo the raises to specifically take care of problems such as classsize, supplies, classroom conditions, etc? If it isn't about money, don't take the money that could be used to address the "real" problems, and put it in your pocket.

Because it's not about the money!$#@!#@!$!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)

I really wish someone would ask this moronic Lewis lady how the CPS is expected to fill the 750 million-1 billion dollar budget gap next year if they're putting raises in place and restricting CPS' ability to fire teachers/close schools.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
I really wish someone would ask this moronic Lewis lady how the CPS is expected to fill the 750 million-1 billion dollar budget gap next year if they're putting raises in place and restricting CPS' ability to fire teachers/close schools.

Will someone turn around and ask Rahm how they're going to improve the schools if they close schools, increase class sizes, and can't afford air conditioning?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
Will someone turn around and ask Rahm how they're going to improve the schools if they close schools, increase class sizes, and can't afford air conditioning?

How about keeping them open first. What good is improvement if they close down the next month.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
How about keeping them open first. What good is improvement if they close down the next month.

I agree, someone should turn around and ask Rahm how he's going to improve the schools if he can't bargain fairly enough to keep them open.

Wait, waht's that, it's only the union's fault when a strike starts, never anyone else's? Sorry, my bad.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)
I agree, someone should turn around and ask Rahm how he's going to improve the schools if he can't bargain fairly enough to keep them open.

Wait, waht's that, it's only the union's fault when a strike starts, never anyone else's? Sorry, my bad.

This is bulls*** and you clearly know it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)

Then again, having to pay more expenses isn't really going to help him keep any schools open now, is it?