CTU is Going on Strike

DukeNukeEm

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
How many people posting in this thread would simply accept longer hours, reduced job protection and no increase in pay if you had the option to fight against it?

What is my job?

Am I prosecutor/public defender who has a responsibility to the system?

Or am I private employee who has a private employer?

Because if its A, I have a responsibility to people and while I would not like what was done, I would still show up and act like an adult and do my job.

If its B, sure everyone is selfish.

But, you are forgetting the point. Just because they can fight it, doesnt mean that it is the smartest thing to do. If I believe fighting for a raise will ultimately cost me more, I would not fight it.

There are ways to win battles and there are ways to win wars. I am in the business of winning wars.

Edited by Soxbadger

How many people posting in this thread would simply accept longer hours, reduced job protection and no increase in pay if you had the option to fight against it?

Well, I'm salaried so it's expected to get my job done, no matter the hours, so that part doesn't matter.

Job protection? Relies on the company's well doing and fluctuates with the economy, but I also have put myself in a position where my company needs my skills moreso than my teammates.

No increase in pay? Well once again depends on my job performance, I can easily not get any raise annually if I don't do a good enough job. Of course, if I am consistently underperforming that much I would be fired.

So pretty much I deal with those things already in my job at some level, as I imagine everyone does in the private sector.

Edited by bigruss22

I'd look for another job.

And again, welcome to life on earth.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
When did public sector employees start taking vows of poverty?

Poverty? OMFG!!! They make as much, if not more, than the parents of the kids they teach. When you add in benefits they make LOTS MORE! Just stop with the sob story attempt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
Which election? Chicago Mayoral election (2010-2011)? Illinois Governor election? (2010)?

And at what point in the near future do you expect the Republicans to stop trying to kill all unions?

Of all places in the world, this is the least applicable time in the history of the world to bring that up. Every single member of the governance of Chicago is a Democrat. City Council, Mayor, County, School Board, Governor and President are all Democrats.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/12poverty.shtml

Which CPS teacher is making less than the poverty line?

Because if these teachers were making under the poverty line, you may have a point. But since they arent...

Especially since it was demonstrated that the average teacher in Chicago is in the top 10 to 15% of all compensation packages in the US.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 05:32 PM)
Of all places in the world, this is the least applicable time in the history of the world to bring that up. Every single member of the governance of Chicago is a Democrat. City Council, Mayor, County, School Board, Governor and President are all Democrats.

So what? His specific statement was that the teachers union shouldn't be doing this during an election year (regardless of when their contract expires). What does that have to do with anything?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
Well, I'm salaried so it's expected to get my job done, no matter the hours, so that part doesn't matter.

Job protection? Relies on the company's well doing and fluctuates with the economy, but I also have put myself in a position where my company needs my skills moreso than my teammates.

No increase in pay? Well once again depends on my job performance, I can easily not get any raise annually if I don't do a good enough job. Of course, if I am consistently underperforming that much I would be fired.

So pretty much I deal with those things already in my job at some level, as I imagine everyone does in the private sector.

I didn't ask if other people had to deal with these issues; they obviously do. I asked if you had the ability to fight against them, would you?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
So what? His specific statement was that the teachers union shouldn't be doing this during an election year (regardless of when their contract expires). What does that have to do with anything?

That was my point exactly. Republicans have absolutely nothing to do with what is going on in Chicago. They are a dodo bird in Chicago.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/12poverty.shtml

Which CPS teacher is making less than the poverty line?

Because if these teachers were making under the poverty line, you may have a point. But since they arent...

What "responsibility to the system" does a public employee have that precludes them from demanding better wages and working conditions?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)

What does a national election have to do with Rahm Emanuel and Chicago?

I give up.

Unions are going to bury themselves. Right now is the time you keep quiet and thank your lucky stars for how good you have it. I know a lot of union people, most of them know that they are very very lucky and fortunate. But it only takes 1 group to spoil it for everyone.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
Poverty? OMFG!!! They make as much, if not more, than the parents of the kids they teach. When you add in benefits they make LOTS MORE! Just stop with the sob story attempt.

OMFG!!! It was a response to soxbadger implying that public employees have some sort of duty to not want higher wages and better working conditions, not a literal description.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)

Like I said, Democrats haven't done s*** for labor in a while.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
I didn't ask if other people had to deal with these issues; they obviously do. I asked if you had the ability to fight against them, would you?

Considering the alternative is no job, then no, I would not.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)
What "responsibility to the system" does a public employee have that precludes them from demanding better wages and working conditions?

So which is it. A noble deed that they do for the children or are they in it for a buck? You keep switching their motivations.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 04:41 PM)
So which is it. A noble deed that they do for the children or are they in it for a buck? You keep switching their motivations.

I have?

Those two are not in conflict, though. You can be in it for the children and still want to earn a good wage.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)

Where did I say they couldnt demand those things?

I said I would show up to my job. Because I take my job seriously. Because I show up even when I dont have to, because even when I had swine flu I went to my court appearance because that is my job. And if I am a teacher and I signed up to make kids lives better, then you better damn believe after I had a summer off, I would be there the first week to make sure that none of these kids got screwed because of money.

And then after I took care of my students, I would go out and talk with parents and have protests on weekends, and show the world why I was deserving of more money.

That is how you win public support. You dont think people are sympathetic to those who get screwed? Or those who get a bad deal? Of course they are.

People arent sympathetic to those who take their ball and go home, effectively ending the game because they dont like a call. When you are an adult, when you are responsible, when you are allegedly worth so much and care so much about the damn students, you play on. Even if you got screwed.