CTU is Going on Strike

DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
It's not going to be a winning argument, no matter how you spin it, when you're criticizing professionals in another field.

i am free to criticize anyone i please, especially my local government and it's employees.

anyways, do you even live in Chicago?

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your point caulfield? Just because you have an average wage in KC where housing is probably 40% cheaper than chicago, doesn't mean chicago teachers don't earn enough after having 15 years of money being poured into their salary and pensions that we couldn't afford. Now they can't handle 4 years of not getting a substantial wage.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
It sounds like it is on. My football game is telling me Rahm plans to file injunction.

Sounds like the CTU board took the agreement to the delegates, and they balked at some aspects, particularly leeway for school closings. They want to take it to the full membership, then vote. That will take multiple days. Rahm in response wants to take legal action to stop the strike.

Thing is, I'm surprised that if they are indeed close, they couldn't come to a one-week temporary agreement using last contract's tenets, to get the teachers teaching while the details are hammered out. I don't see either side suggesting it, though I'd imagine it would be easy enough to do.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
Sounds like the CTU board took the agreement to the delegates, and they balked at some aspects, particularly leeway for school closings. They want to take it to the full membership, then vote. That will take multiple days. Rahm in response wants to take legal action to stop the strike.

Thing is, I'm surprised that if they are indeed close, they couldn't come to a one-week temporary agreement using last contract's tenets, to get the teachers teaching while the details are hammered out. I don't see either side suggesting it, though I'd imagine it would be easy enough to do.

"Our members are not happy," Lewis said. "They want to know if there is anything more they can get.

Yeah, that sounds about right. They feel that they won something and might have Rahm bent over a barrel and want to try and screw him, and the taxpayers, some more.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 01:05 AM)
If Rahm gets a court order and teachers still don't go to class, what would happen?

Or would the teachers immediately head back to the classroom, scared to death of what they could lose if they get fired??

Defying a court order would get them arrested.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
Yeah, I don't know that the prospect of arresting 30k teachers is a realistic one or the image that Emmanuel would want, but I think their union would be dissolved.

When the carrot fails, you turn to the stick.

Rahm knows how to read polls. Lake Forest is back to school with no teachers (the shocker being Lake Forest had school on Rosh Hashanah). In my opinion the teachers have overplayed their hand.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
Yeah, I don't know that the prospect of arresting 30k teachers is a realistic one or the image that Emmanuel would want, but I think their union would be dissolved.

Well the union wouldn't be dumb enough to advise teachers to defy the order regardless.

I don't know why they couldn't get this thing done over the weekend, but that signals that the delegates still have some serious concerns about the proposal and whether or not the union members as a whole would vote to approve. You can't go back to work this week and then strike again next week if it turns out the membership doesn't like what was offered. It also makes me wonder how much of the "we'll be back Monday" rhetoric was coming from the CPS side versus the CTU side.

I haven't seen any polling on this issue aside from a brief mention on a blog that 60% of parents were siding with the CTU, but I don't recall the source. This Reuters article mentions this:

Opinion polls last week showed Chicago voters supporting the union but that could change as the strike drags on.
Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
consider potential sampling bias i.e. upper-middle class white collar professionals

A lot of people were already unhappy with Rahm/CPS over the school closings.

I do a lot of legal aid.

None of them are supporting the teachers, they just want their kids back in school so they dont get fired for taking days off. A lot of people are concerned that they are going to lose their jobs because they have to stay home to take care of their kids.

I went to the protests to try and see how many "regular" people were there, not many.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
I do a lot of legal aid.

None of them are supporting the teachers, they just want their kids back in school so they dont get fired for taking days off. A lot of people are concerned that they are going to lose their jobs because they have to stay home to take care of their kids.

I went to the protests to try and see how many "regular" people were there, not many.

I went by there too (multiple times over the entire week). I wasn't impressed with the numbers outside of the times of the organized marches. There were many times where the media outnumbered the protesters.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
I do a lot of legal aid.

I saw a bunch of teachers this weekend with their solidarity t-shirts on burning through their cash at North Bridge. That statement means nothing, but I still wanted to smack them.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 11:11 AM)
Id have to see the poll because I live/work in Chicago and that seems suspicious compared to what Im hearing/seeing.

Everyone I know does not support the CTU, even the liberals don't want more taxes. First time ever.