GT: Sox vs. Tigers...The Final Countdown Continues

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
There used to be a stat that in the NBA, a scoring champion had never won a title. MJ destroyed that. Ozzie wanted to get away from depending on homers even though that and some great pitching got him a ring. Even on this board, homers were considered a bad thing for a while. For some reason people preferred doubles and singles. With a team that's not very fast, its not going to work unless you have .300 hitters with .370 OBP up and down the line up.

Some still do when it comes to Ramiriez. I'll take his clutch hitting any day.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 07:50 PM)
It was at a season ticketholder party last year. They sell the same stuff they sell at the Sox garage sales.

Thats pretty awesome. At the jersey store I normally go to up there...all they had were a crap load of Favre jersey's on clearance.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 07:49 PM)
Did anyone say he should have been given a major league job? No, no one did. I'm saying that having Johnson start over Viciedo against Fister leads to a better probability of success. I posted that LH batters have a much higher BA against Fister (55 pts) and noted that Johnson has been mighty good against RHP the past several years, albeit in AAA. You just said he sucked. That's great and informative.

Why are Johnson's major league numbers vs. RHP insignificant, but his minor league numbers what you should look at? Last I looked Fister is a major league pitcher, not Jeff Marquez.

Edited by Dick Allen

Thought that was gone for sure.

Automatic reflex with Cabrera to assume it's a homer.

I don't think you would want to bet on beating Cabrera 3-4 times in one game with 92-93 MPH fastballs over and over again.

You can get away with it once, maybe twice.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
Why are Johnson's major league numbers vs. RHP insignificant, but his minor league numbers what you should look at? Last I looked Fister is a major league pitcher, not Jeff Marquez.

I said that in my prior post. The last decent sample size was five years ago. More recent data is more valuable when predicting something.

But if you want to say, "Hey, it was in AAA" you definitely can, and I get it. It's a very legitimate point, and trust me, I'm not just writing it off.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
When KW gave his intellect comments, most of us assumed he meant the Sox should try bunting a little bit Cabrera's way. Have they done that at all so far this series?

I think DeAza and Pierzynski tried last night. Nothing tonight.