Awful Game

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 08:31 PM)
Poor crowd. Peavy choked in a big game yet again. Hitting approach was awful. Everything went 0-2 on us tonight. Bullpen wasn't great either though when you use 100 different pitchers someone is bound to screw up.

And Robin Ventura...Oh boy. Can't wait to read through the gamethread's thoughts on him.

6 innings, 3 runs is not choking. Especially given the fact that the Tigers have a good offense (and Peavy has been used like a whore in amsterdamn). It isn't dominating but it certainly isn't choking. How about the offense for failing to deliver and the bullpen for really s***ting the bed in the 8th (plus Youk/RV for the failed bunt).

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 03:38 AM)
I was fine with Peavy's effort. He more or less dominated with the exception of their two best hitters getting to him once each. I would have hoped for about one more inning, but that wasn't in the cards.

He really has turned into Javy Vazquez, hasn't he :) I swear the same few sentences used to be written about Javy on here.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 10:47 PM)
He really has turned into Javy Vazquez, hasn't he :) I swear the same few sentences used to be written about Javy on here.

Javy had one of the top 5 fWAR for pitchers from 2000-2010 IIRC

As far as managing, the only thing that bothers me is the Liriano move as that was clearly a failed experiment. I know why we used him there but it doesn't look good when it goes that poorly.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 03:52 AM)

As far as managing, the only thing that bothers me is the Liriano move as that was clearly a failed experiment. I know why we used him there but it doesn't look good when it goes that poorly.

So you were fine with bunting with Youk? And as for Javy, he's probably the most notorious big game choker in the last two decades in the majors.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 04:52 AM)

That bunt didn't bother you? Not even Ozzie who loves the bunt would do that.

YOUK is a notorious fastball hitter.

You just don't have him bunt there, you don't.

Just look at his home splits vs. road splits for further evidence.

I'm starting to miss Guillen, lol. And he's starting to miss Twitter and being relevant.

I don't actually MISS Ozzie, actually, Just a manager who we could trust to more consistently make sound baseball decisions down the stretch run.

Just got home from the game. While Robin did have an awful game with the Liriano/Youk decisions, I would like to add that Leyland had just as bad of a game managing, but he was lucky enough to win.

1. He had Dirks bunt, which took the bat out of Cabrera's hands, which set up the Fielder/Veal matchup. I called it from the second Dirks squared up.

2. Why take out Fister after only 99 pitches ofpur e domination?

Tigers won, so no one cares, but he had some head scratchers too.

This post in no way absolves Robin of the Youkilis bunting call. Awful, awful, awful, no matter how you look at it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 10:20 PM)
Just got home from the game. While Robin did have an awful game with the Liriano/Youk decisions, I would like to add that Leyland had just as bad of a game managing, but he was lucky enough to win.

1. He had Dirks bunt, which took the bat out of Cabrera's hands, which set up the Fielder/Veal matchup. I called it from the second Dirks squared up.

2. Why take out Fister after only 99 pitches ofpur e domination?

Tigers won, so no one cares, but he had some head scratchers too.

This post in no way absolves Robin of the Youkilis bunting call. Awful, awful, awful, no matter how you look at it.

Nice Brian Anderson/Greatest American Hero Bobblehead

I know, I know...just looks like him, or David Letterman, not sure.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
6 innings, 3 runs is not choking. Especially given the fact that the Tigers have a good offense (and Peavy has been used like a whore in amsterdamn). It isn't dominating but it certainly isn't choking. How about the offense for failing to deliver and the bullpen for really s***ting the bed in the 8th (plus Youk/RV for the failed bunt).

ERA 4.00 against division rival = choking. This would apply to Chris Sale as well. The Peavy Kool-Aid should be empty by now. He would have made a better Cub.

Also momentum doesn't exist in Sox vocabulary.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 04:28 AM)
ERA 4.00 against division rival = choking. This would apply to Chris Sale as well. The Peavy Kool-Aid should be empty by now. He would have made a better Cub.

Also momentum doesn't exist in Sox vocabulary.

Sox have lost 5 straight starts by Peavy against the Tigers. He didn't pitch terrible against them tonight, but just once, you'd like to see him just dominate in a big game and not pitch just poorly enough to lose.

Lots of rumors Dunn's going to try and play tomorrow. I hope he's not rushing his return again. With that said, you have to stack the lineup with as many lefties as possible. I'm not optimistic about Gavin tomorrow, as you have to wonder how he'll have any feel for his curve. Hopefully there's not too big of a meltdown on here if the Sox lose tomorrow, as the match-up is clearly in the Tigers favor. If they lose tomorrow and go on to win Thursday, it's a successful series.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
Sox have lost 5 straight starts by Peavy against the Tigers. He didn't pitch terrible against them tonight, but just once, you'd like to see him just dominate in a big game and not pitch just poorly enough to lose.

You could probably say that about everyone on the staff. Aces bring confidence on the field. If they have to, they win the game on their own. Peavy has yet to dominate in a big game in his career or win one. He's been the worst acquisition of the Williams era is you want to go with $$$ per appearance. He's lost 11 games. The hype was big when he was on the DL.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)
It would be interesting to see how that's compared when he was with Boston.

5/52 this season against DETROIT, for BOTH Sox teams....so struggling

HOWEVER:

2009-2011

14/50, 4 doubles, 5 RBI, .280, 838 OPS

10/29, 4 doubles, 4 homers, 11 RBI, .345, 1.291 OPS

7/19, 2B, 1 homer, 4 RBI's, .368, 942 OPS

UNTIL THIS SEASON, 2007-2011

31/89 (.348), 9 doubles, 5 HR, 20 RBI's, BIG TIME OPS

10 years ago, you would have said there was a curse on the Red Sox/White Sox...so what's the cause this year?

Just facing the likes of Scherzer and Verlander repeatedly and being overmatched?

Edited by caulfield12