United Center help for an out of towner

lasttriptotulsa

Hey, just looking for some advice as an out of towner that's gonna make my first trip to the United Center here in a few weeks. I'm going to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse October 11th and have never been to the UC. The gates open at 6:00 and I would like to be there a little before that. It takes me about three hours to Chicago from the SW corner of WI and not real sure how long its gonna take to get to the UC from the 'burbs and what times are best to drive through the city. I'm from a small town and not real familiar with the big city or cities in general. Also, any advice on parking and anything else is much appreciated.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
Hey, just looking for some advice as an out of towner that's gonna make my first trip to the United Center here in a few weeks. I'm going to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse October 11th and have never been to the UC. The gates open at 6:00 and I would like to be there a little before that. It takes me about three hours to Chicago from the SW corner of WI and not real sure how long its gonna take to get to the UC from the 'burbs and what times are best to drive through the city. I'm from a small town and not real familiar with the big city or cities in general. Also, any advice on parking and anything else is much appreciated.

Well, being a Thursday, you will have to deal with rush hour traffic, and there is almost no way around this...

If you want to get there by 5pm, I'd leave at around 12:30pm-1pm to give yourself enough time counting rush hour.

Coming from Wisconsin, the only real means you have to drive is via i90...take that to i290. i290 will bring you directly to the UC, there is an exit for that. The traffic may very well be bad, but it's your best direct route to the United Center.

Park in one of the pay lots around the UC, and don't wander around that neighborhood. It's pretty safe right around the UC, but don't wander too far away from that.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
Well, being a Thursday, you will have to deal with rush hour traffic, and there is almost no way around this...

If you want to get there by 5pm, I'd leave at around 12:30pm-1pm to give yourself enough time counting rush hour.

Coming from Wisconsin, the only real means you have to drive is via i90...take that to i290. i290 will bring you directly to the UC, there is an exit for that. The traffic may very well be bad, but it's your best direct route to the United Center.

Park in one of the pay lots around the UC, and don't wander around that neighborhood. It's pretty safe right around the UC, but don't wander too far away from that.

Check the traffic reports as you near Elgin, as you can take either 90 or 290 to get there. There's actually a sign right before you can make the decision to jump on to 290 from 90. Usually 290 is better, but you never know depending on the day.

If you take 290 you can get off at Damen and go left, if you take 90 you get off at Ogden and hang a right, which takes you to Madison and go right.

There's plenty of parking around the UC...but use one of the Red Top lots that are around there (they aren't the official UC lots). Will save you some money, but usually a LOT easier to get it out of. The really close UC lots will take you forever to get out of.

If you get there plenty early and want to go eat or drink, walk east down Madison, you'll run into a lot of bars after a few blocks, and the walk is safe before or after.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
I'm not sure how much UC parking costs, but there is a $5 lot at the Des Plaines blue line stop and then the fare is $2.25 each way.

Getting there would be fine, but you don't really want to make that walk, or take that train, after that concert is over.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
I lived near the Blue Line in Oak Park and I made that trip all the time. Never had a problem.

Then you got lucky.

Telling an out of towner to wander around that area is irresponsible. :P

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Chica...4278813.html?dr

I found this hard to believe, but nonetheless..a link regarding the neighborhood crime surrounding United Center. All things considered, it's best for someone new to just pay the extra money and park at the UC lots. Takes multiple factors out of the equation, safety only being one of them.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
This person is coming from Wisconsin. Just park in the UC parking lot and pay the money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
Totally this.

Yea, I don't mind paying. Just wanna do whatever's gonna be the safest and easiest.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
This person is coming from Wisconsin. Just park in the UC parking lot and pay the money.

I didn't say park anywhere. The Red Top ones on Madison are separated by a fence, or are across the street.

Park at the corner of Damen and Madison, there's a Red Top lot 20 feet from the UC lot. Cheaper, but much easier to get out of. And that one is closer to the UC than some of the official UC lots.

Unless you go parking blocks upon blocks away, it's not dangerous. It's the equivalent of church parking at the Sox game, not exactly risky, just easier.

He already has to get back to Wisconsin, I'm sure he doesn't want to sit in the lot an extra 45 minutes.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
I didn't say park anywhere. The Red Top ones on Madison are separated by a fence, or are across the street.

Park at the corner of Damen and Madison, there's a Red Top lot 20 feet from the UC lot. Cheaper, but much easier to get out of. And that one is closer to the UC than some of the official UC lots.

Unless you go parking blocks upon blocks away, it's not dangerous. It's the equivalent of church parking at the Sox game, not exactly risky, just easier.

He already has to get back to Wisconsin, I'm sure he doesn't want to sit in the lot an extra 45 minutes.

He's going to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse...not U2. I'm sure he won't have much of an issue getting out of the lot in a timely manner. :P

Edited by Y2HH