Why not pitch Sale on MONDAY?!

macsandz

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 07:35 AM)
and the fact that to opposing pitchers PK no longer seems to be a dangerous threat anymore. How many clutch situations were there where we really needed some runs........... has he come through without hitting some weak sqibber to the shortstop, or a lazy fly ball? the first half.............he was dangerous to the opposition because they knew that he was going to hit it HARD someplace. Now......solid hard contact out of him in key situations is horrible. If we are going to have a chance at this thing we need the PK back that we know him to be

Exactly.

Everyone always talks about the benefits of pitching with confidence. Against guys like Cabrera, Pujols, Trout, Konerko when healthy, pitchers justifiably feared these hitters, couldn't muster any sort of real confidence, and tightened-up and nibbled which screwed with their control and hurt their stuff. Half of the damage was done by these fearsome hitters the moment they set-up in the batter's box!

Unfortunately, it's difficult not to be a Debbie-Downer about this, but I suspect that the reasons PK isn't the REAL PK isn't because he's slumping or out of synch. It's because he's hurt. Hurt at the level where he can swing a bat, but not with nearly the talent and ability a healthy PK brings to the plate. And it's circular because by playing hurt (only he knows how limited he really might be right now) he's also keeping himself out of synch as well. But it all starts with being hurt. Everything I see in his set-up, his swing, and his "need to cheat on a pitch" suggests that he's currently damaged goods. If this is so, then we're simply not going to have that REAL PK back this year, no matter how much we hope we do.

Now how about some of the non-damaged hitters step-up and take their game up a notch or two? For El Capitan???

:bringit

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
Would sale be in line for 163 if he moved back?

No. There are no more off days.

Sox--

at Min Sale, Quintana, Peavy

vs Det Floyd

at KC 5th starter, Sale, Quintana

at LAA Peavy, Floyd, 5th starter

vs Cle Sale, Quintana, Peavy

vs TB Floyd, 5th starter, Sale, Quintana

at Cle Peavy, Floyd, 5th starter

at Det Sale

Tigers:

at Cle Verlander, Sanchez, Porcello

at Chi Fister

vs Oak Scherzer, Verlander, Sanchez

vs Min Porcello, Fister, Scherzer

vs KC Verlander, Sanchez, Porcello, Fister

at Min Scherzer, Verlander, Sanchez

at KC Porcello, Fister, Scherzer

vs Chi Verlander

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
Exactly.

Everyone always talks about the benefits of pitching with confidence. Against guys like Cabrera, Pujols, Trout, Konerko when healthy, pitchers justifiably feared these hitters, couldn't muster any sort of real confidence, and tightened-up and nibbled which screwed with their control and hurt their stuff. Half of the damage was done by these fearsome hitters the moment they set-up in the batter's box!

Unfortunately, it's difficult not to be a Debbie-Downer about this, but I suspect that the reasons PK isn't the REAL PK isn't because he's slumping or out of synch. It's because he's hurt. Hurt at the level where he can swing a bat, but not with nearly the talent and ability a healthy PK brings to the plate. And it's circular because by playing hurt (only he knows how limited he really might be right now) he's also keeping himself out of synch as well. But it all starts with being hurt. Everything I see in his set-up, his swing, and his "need to cheat on a pitch" suggests that he's currently damaged goods. If this is so, then we're simply not going to have that REAL PK back this year, no matter how much we hope we do.

Now how about some of the non-damaged hitters step-up and take their game up a notch or two? For El Capitan???

:bringit

Hawk flat out said it the other night. He said Hawk was hurt. It's pretty sad the writers can't let us know what is going on. Does Cowley write about the Sox any more? He seems to have gone away. He could at least have gotten to the bottom of this.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
Hawk flat out said it the other night. He said Hawk was hurt. It's pretty sad the writers can't let us know what is going on. Does Cowley write about the Sox any more? He seems to have gone away. He could at least have gotten to the bottom of this.

Cowley's only way to get to the bottom of anything about the Sox is currently coaching in Miami.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)

The Chicago sports media is pretty awful when it comes to breaking stories. You have a better chance at finding out things from out of market.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
I think Sale should pitch tonight, but I also want to say that if the Sox DO happen to jump out to a large lead early, I'm talking like 7-0 in the 4th or something, I would go ahead and pull Sale. I wouldn't have him thrown 100+ pitches in a blowout win.

They aren't going to pull Sale that early. And why not 5 innings to get the win.

And if you pull a starter early and then the other teams comebacks then

that would look and feel very bad. Lol.

Good. Now it won't be Liriano for Game 162.

at Min Sale, Liriano, Peavy

vs Det Quintana

at KC Floyd, Sale, Liriano

at LAA Peavy, Quintana, Floyd

vs Cle Sale, Liriano, Peavy

vs TB Quintana, Floyd, Sale, Liriano

at Cle Peavy, Quintana, Floyd

at Det - Sale

Edited by flavum

It would be amusing if Quintana could beat the Tigers twice in a row, after Sale and Peavy failed to it once during the season.

The way this season has gone, why not? Of course, there's also the strong possibility they just pound the crap out of him and everyone second guesses Ventura and Cooper for not having Sale or Peavy go.

I'm thinking back to 2000 and trying to decide which team had the more battered pitching staff going into post-season?

Back then, it was Sirotka, Parque and Baldwin all within a year or two of their Sox careers ending.

Edited by caulfield12