9/15 White Sox at Twins

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 15, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
Liriano has a 5.04 ERA with the Sox.

90% of his problems are mental, along with finding a consistent release point.

Unfortunately, they can't give Floyd and Liriano BOTH $5 million and hope one of them excels.

I'd still go with Liriano...Gavin's just never done it consistently, and he's had 2009, 10, 11 and 12 to prove himself.

Does that include his 5 scoreless innings today? Too small of a sample size.

I'd lean toward floyd. Injury is less of a concern, and signing him for a year, I predict, will be much easier.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 15, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
Liriano has a 5.04 ERA with the Sox.

90% of his problems are mental, along with finding a consistent release point.

Unfortunately, they can't give Floyd and Liriano BOTH $5 million and hope one of them excels.

I'd still go with Liriano...Gavin's just never done it consistently, and he's had 2009, 10, 11 and 12 to prove himself.

2008 - 3.84 ERA, 206 IP

2009 - 4.06 ERA, 193 IP

2010 - 4.08 ERA, 187 IP

2011 - 4.37 ERA, 193 IP

That's really a very good run, and Liriano has showed no ability to do something like that. If you had to pick one at the same price (we know Gavin's price), it's easily Gavin. If they were both cheap, MAYBE you take a chance on Liriano instead. Also consider our "need" for a righty. However, I don't mind bringing back both. We'll probably take a look at trying to bring Peavy back at Gavin's price, but who knows if that will work or if we'll want to do it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 15, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
2008 - 3.84 ERA, 206 IP

2009 - 4.06 ERA, 193 IP

2010 - 4.08 ERA, 187 IP

2011 - 4.37 ERA, 193 IP

That's really a very good run, and Liriano has showed no ability to do something like that. If you had to pick one at the same price (we know Gavin's price), it's easily Gavin. If they were both cheap, MAYBE you take a chance on Liriano instead. Also consider our "need" for a righty. However, I don't mind bringing back both. We'll probably take a look at trying to bring Peavy back at Gavin's price, but who knows if that will work or if we'll want to do it.

Peavy will be in the $11.5-14 million range, maybe more.

And Floyd's 2 DL stints mitigate some of his appeal. Durability was his calling card, eating innings, before this season.

84 pitches. 9 outs left.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 15, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
And let's have him leave the game with a feeling of dominance before he implodes. Let Septimo, Omogrossa, and Thorton finish the no hitter

I agree. The best thing for him would be that feeling of dominance that comes from pitching his 2nd no hitter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
I agree. The best thing for him would be that feeling of dominance that comes from pitching his 2nd no hitter.

Yeah, no s***. Leaving the game with 1 hit surrendered won't feel any different than leaving after 6 with no hits.

The potential change of approach that comes along with a no-no, though, is well worth the risk