AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

justBLAZE

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 05:45 PM)
My softball team takes offense to that comment

My coed team does too. But seriously, where will we hide the fat guy that cant really run? Well we already have one fat guy at 1B, lets put him at third!! Do we have a SS? Not really, but the 2B is already walking in concrete so lets put that guy there since he has nowhere else to go.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)
My coed team does too. But seriously, where will we hide the fat guy that cant really run? Well we already have one fat guy at 1B, lets put him at third!! Do we have a SS? Not really, but the 2B is already walking in concrete so lets put that guy there since he has nowhere else to go.

We have 2 EH spots. Fat guys that cant field dont play the field. :)

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)
Win 2 of 3 in KC somehow and I'm gonna feel really good about the rest of the season.

Plus, the Tigers are on the road and have the tough out against a white hot A's team.

If we can bump up the margin to 4-5-6 games after this weekend, that REALLY would put a lot of pressure on DET and they would probably fold the way they've played recently.

Scherzer, Verlander and Cabrera/Fielder/Jackson are the only thing keeping them viable as a playoff team.

Sox get Hochevar (must-win Tuesday night to take the pressure off before facing...), Mendoza and Chen.

THANKFULLY, no Guthrie at least. Division would OVA if KW would have picked up Jeremy, lol.

Have the Sox announced a starter for Thursday's game yet?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 07:11 PM)
Plus, the Tigers are on the road and have the tough out against a white hot A's team.

If we can bump up the margin to 4-5-6 games after this weekend, that REALLY would put a lot of pressure on DET and they would probably fold the way they've played recently.

Scherzer, Verlander and Cabrera/Fielder/Jackson are the only thing keeping them viable as a playoff team.

Sox get Hochevar (must-win Tuesday night to take the pressure off before facing...), Mendoza and Chen.

THANKFULLY, no Guthrie at least. Division would OVA if KW would have picked up Jeremy, lol.

Have the Sox announced a starter for Thursday's game yet?

The Oakland/Tigers series is in Detroit, not Oakland.

No official start for Thursday yet, but sounds like it will probably be Liriano.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
The Oakland/Tigers series is in Detroit, not Oakland.

No official start for Thursday yet, but sounds like it will probably be Liriano.

Yeah, I was reading somewhere else here that it was on the road and didn't take the time to look it up, so lazy.

"I made a mistake," Wise said. "I almost blew it. I've been playing this game too long to make a mistake like that. I'm just thankful the way we were able to pull it out."Wise started in place of Alejandro De Aza, who is in a 2-for-21 slump over his last five games.

"(De Aza) is fine," manager Robin Ventura said. "He's just out of there (Monday). Saturday, he just seemed out of sync. We'll wait for him to kind of work on that and get back in there."

De Aza struck out four times and went 0-for-5 Saturday.

Return engagement: Gavin Floyd said he's accustomed to pitching with extra rest after the Sox employed a six-man rotation for about three months last season.

"That extra rest seemed a little weird, but you pitched every six days," said Floyd, who will start Tuesday night in Kansas City on five days' rest. "It does help, especially after coming off 15 days (on the disabled list) and not pitching for a while."

Floyd also said he was grateful that he healed from a right elbow flexor strain in time to pitch in a true postseason race for the first time since 2008, when he won a team-high 17 games in helping the Sox to the American League Central title.

"This is an exciting year, and this will play out the next 16 games," Floyd said. "It's been fun all year. We have a great group of guys, and we're trying to push and win this."

Extra innings: Sox relievers have allowed one earned run over their last 13 innings, covering four games. ...

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

By Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune reporter

September 18, 2012

Since the White Sox still commemorate Dewayne Wise's catch that preserved Mark Buehrle's 2009 perfect game, perhaps they can put a mark around second base to honor Alex Rios' slide Monday that moved them closer to an improbable American League Central title.

Rios' slide broke up a potential inning-ending double play that resulted in a throwing error by second baseman Omar Infante in the fifth inning. The tying and go-ahead runs scored on the play, propelling the Sox to a 5-4 victory over the rival Tigers and extending their lead to three games with 16 games left.

"I just told him that might be the play of the year," Gordon Beckham said after the Sox rallied from deficits of 3-0 and 4-3 to extend their winning streak to four games.

Rios' slide was the biggest in a series of contributions that helped the Sox beat the Tigers for only the sixth time in their 18 meetings.

Relievers Nate Jones (8-0), Donnie Veal, Brett Myers, Matt Thornton and Addison Reed combined to throw five scoreless innings.

Wise, who made a boneheaded play on the base paths in the eighth, tied the game in the fourth with a two-out, two-run single.

"We got our base hits, we scored on walks and we did a lot of things," Rios said. "We played very well, and that's what we got to do from now on."

The next challenge starts Tuesday night in Kansas City against the Royals, who have a 10-5 record against the Sox.

"If we go to Kansas City and not play well, it's all for naught," Adam Dunn said. "Every one is big now. (Tuesday) is the biggest game of the year. I'm not going to sit here and downplay it, but if we don't go to KC and Anaheim and win games, it means nothing."

But Monday's win gave the Sox some breathing room, thanks largely to Rios' slide.

"If (Infante) stays in the baseline, I'm going to get him," Rios said. "But I thought it was a clean slide and every middle infielder knows that if they stay in the baseline, something like that is going to happen."

Rios' slide came a half-inning after Jones bailed starter Jose Quintana out of a jam in the fifth.

Veal relieved Jones and struck out Prince Fielder to end the seventh, making it 24 straight left-handers Veal has faced without allowing a hit, with 12 strikeouts.

In an interesting twist, manager Robin Ventura opted for the percentages and kept Myers in after he had pitched a perfect eighth, and Myers retired pinch hitter Quintin Berry. Left-hander Matt Thornton then was summoned and struck out Andy Dirks. Closer Addison Reed finally entered the game and retired Austin Jackson on a fly to right for his 27th save.

"It's always good to get into a big game and stuff's on the line right there," Myers said. "I think players excel in those situations, and we were able to pull one out."

[email protected]

CHICAGO – The margin of error now for the Detroit Tigers has become dangerously thin.

Of course, you can’t mention the word “error” in the same sentence with the Tigers without Omar Infante.

The second baseman has become as heart palpitating on the double play pivot as Jose Valverde spraying water with a one-run lead in the ninth. For the second straight game, a Tigers’ loss can be directly traced to giving an opponent extra outs due to an Infante defensive breakdown.

Infante is killing them right now.

And time for resuscitative measures is running out after today’s 5-4 loss to the White Sox.

Making matters worse for the Tigers as they now trail division-leading Chicago by three games is that there are no viable replacement options.

This is the sickness the Tigers willingly brought upon themselves. They sacrificed defense for offense this season. And then the offense stuttered and stumbled. And when forced to win games the conventional way — like limiting opponents to 27 outs per game — they’re incapable of getting the inning-ending double play that the truly fundamentally sound teams execute with regularity.

“I’m a little frustrated because I’m making a lot of errors, knowing that the team needed defense,” Infante said.

He sparkles with the difficult chances, but fumbles the basics.

Has Infante now officially become the poster child for this season?

“That’s the one thing we’ve preached since spring training,” Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. “It’s 27 outs, not 30 or 31. We’ve given up some extra outs. And we’ve paid for it. On some occasions, we pitched above it. On others, we didn’t. When you’re giving up 30 outs, that usually spells trouble for you.”

It looked as though the Tigers would escape from the fifth inning with a 4-3 lead after Dayan Viciedo hit a grounder to Jhonny Peralta at short. He flipped it Infante for the force out, but Infante grabbed the throw in front of the bag, making him vulnerable to a hard slide from the fast-charging Alex Rios.

This was a tactical error on Infante’s part. Usually to space oneself from the oncoming runner, the second baseman will take the toss behind the bag or toward the left side of the bag.

Rios disrupted the throw, spiking Infante in the ankle on the slide.

An argument could be made that Prince Fielder should’ve scooped up the one-hopper. After all, it is the first baseman’s primary defensive task to clean up his infielder’s throwing messes as regularly as possible.

But Infante assumed full responsibility.

That’s nice. But it’s not helpful. He has committed eight errors at second base for the Tigers. And he has been with the team only six weeks since the significant trade deadline acquisition that supposedly would push the Tigers ahead of the White Sox.

His last three errors decisively factored into the Tigers’ last three losses.

Contact Drew Sharp: 313-223-4055 or [email protected].

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 07:40 AM)
I was at the game. Despite the fact that it was 29k paid, and probably about 18-20k in actual attendance... that crowd was the most electric I've heard at a Sox game in a long time. Particularly the last few innings, the crowd was really into things. It was fantastic.

After Wise tied it and Youk smashed that drive that ALMOST eluded Peralta, it felt a lot like the Blackout Game.

Not quite so still/quiet/holding their breath tense for most of it, because of the one and done nature...but still the same nervousness the last 3 innings.

When Viciedo hit that tailor made DP ball, I'm sure most everyone was sighing and about to smash their remote or television.