Another one for ptatc to diagnose (Scherzer)

caulfield12

Not lost in the career-high 40th home run by American League batting leader Miguel Cabrera, a grand slam in the bottom of the eighth to highlight the team's 12-2 win, was the injury to Max Scherzer, who left the game in the bottom of the second inning after 44 pitches.

Scherzer, the American League leader in strikeouts with 224, had an MRI during the game for right shoulder fatigue. The team announced that the MRI showed no structural damage and Scherzer would not throw for two days before being re-evaluated.

"I noticed it in the first inning, but I didn't have any pain in my shoulder," Scherzer said. "My arm was dead. I was able to finish the first inning. I went out for the second inning and my arm felt good, at least to start the inning. By the end of the inning the pain in the (Coco) Crisp at-bat -- I really ran out of steam. My arm wasn't healthy enough to keep going. I felt weakness in my delt (deltoid)."

If Scherzer, arguably the team's best pitcher the last month, should have to miss a start, left-hander Drew Smyly would likely be the substitute starter.

"The MRI was fine. You could see the inflammation in the deltoid, so it's treating it and trying to get the inflammation out," Scherzer said. "I might be able to make my next start."

www.freep.com/sports

Any thoughts?

Edited by caulfield12