Good, solid baseball for 9 innings?

The Ultimate Champion

When is the last time the Sox have done this? The last Tigers game was close minus the Wise brain fart on the bases that cost us a run. Usually it's the offense, walks with the starters, Robin's overthink/bunt attack, kicking the ball around, etc.

The record the Royals have is a record they have earned. They can't play good, solid baseball for 9 innings. We OTOH are supposed to be able to do this, but it seems that for most of the last two months we can't go 9 nine innings, even in the games we win. When is the last time we've played 9 innings without stranding the man on 3rd again and again with less than 2 outs, without walking the 9 hole hitter, without Robin trying to bunt with a run producer, without getting picked off or trying to catch the ball with our ass instead of the damn glove, etc. when is the last time we've gone 9 where when it was over said, "good, solid baseball win?" Because I can't remember. Maybe in Texas.

Last weekend in Minnesota on Friday and Sunday? I do agree with your overall sentiment though that the team is playing very sloppy and some dumb decisions are being made by the players/coaches that are having a huge impact on the end result. Plain and simple, the Sox have lost way too many games the last 2 months that they should have found a way to win.

Every time I watch this crap this year I hear Stormin Norman shouting his 48 minutes of intensity line and it's just like some of those sleepy ass Bulls teams with the Sox.,

Did anyone notice how on the Rios throw out play McEwing wasn't even paying attention to what was happening? Bad decision by Alex, but for f***s sake where's the help? What is a coach there for? I also could have sworn Guthrie balked on that K to Rios bending his knee twice starting and stopping but nobody said anything about that either.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 04:15 AM)
Every time I watch this crap this year I hear Stormin Norman shouting his 48 minutes of intensity line and it's just like some of those sleepy ass Bulls teams with the Sox.,

Did anyone notice how on the Rios throw out play McEwing wasn't even paying attention to what was happening? Bad decision by Alex, but for f***s sake where's the help? What is a coach there for? I also could have sworn Guthrie balked on that K to Rios bending his knee twice starting and stopping but nobody said anything about that either.

With no one on base, Guthrie can do whatever he wants in the wind-up. I don't blame McEwing for the Rios out at the plate. He is at fault for the Ramirez play though.

The Royals were trying to be the old Royals tonight. When Guthrie fielded that bunt and threw it away, they were giving us a blowout victory.

We squandered a few more chances that inning and the next inning to expand on the lead. When it stayed at 3-0 we were destined to lose the game. This game begged to be blown open early.

Sox have had way too many close games. It's required all these dorky pitching moves by Robin from the sixth inning on and the Sox have found a way to lose like you said by "not playing good solid baseball for nine innings."

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 10:07 PM)
Last weekend in Minnesota on Friday and Sunday? I do agree with your overall sentiment though that the team is playing very sloppy and some dumb decisions are being made by the players/coaches that are having a huge impact on the end result. Plain and simple, the Sox have lost way too many games the last 2 months that they should have found a way to win.

How fortunate that the team trailing them is horrible at defense, fundamentals, and the pen is become more unstable.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 05:30 AM)
This team has been in first place for 120 days.

I'd say they played plenty good innings.

Do any of you think Robin has changed his philosophy the last six weeks or so? Remember when he always let his starters go deep in games? Now he seems content at five innings and anxious to begin the lefty/right crap.

I guess if we don't make the playoffs we'll look back and realize the losses of Danks, Floyd (for extended period), Buehrle and Humber turning into s*** after being reliable were really difficult to overcome. Also Thornton being lousy and Ohman a joke. Also DeAza being out a few weeks with injury and Dunn being out for a bit and Paulie being banged up the entire second half. To be 10 over .500 is probably a minor miracle. That's why I say Robin ultimately could be manager of the year or second in voting.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 11:46 PM)
Do any of you think Robin has changed his philosophy the last six weeks or so? Remember when he always let his starters go deep in games? Now he seems content at five innings and anxious to begin the lefty/right crap.

I guess if we don't make the playoffs we'll look back and realize the losses of Danks, Floyd (for extended period), Buehrle and Humber turning into s*** after being reliable were really difficult to overcome. Also Thornton being lousy and Ohman a joke. Also DeAza being out a few weeks with injury and Dunn being out for a bit and Paulie being banged up the entire second half. To be 10 over .500 is probably a minor miracle. That's why I say Robin ultimately could be manager of the year or second in voting.

Going with your first question greg, that may be true. Look who the starters are though, Peavy coming off injury, Sales first year as a starter, Qs first year in the majors, Gavins been dealing with injury for a little bit, and Lirianos control problems cause him to exit early. While yes Buehrle would have been great to have this year, he was just not an option on a team that cut payroll. You gotta get over that.

That coupled with all the weapons they have in the pen is gonna call for a lot of bullpen action and as it is with every mlb bullpen its hit or miss. I really like the bullpen though unlike most of you, I see 6 or 7 quality guys down there that given the right situation are dynamite.

As for the 2nd stanza of your post.. Danks is obviously a huge loss, he's that innings eater that would have been nice to have.

Matt Thornton has been far from lousy, his hate on this board is the most outrageously over blown thing in the history of the interwebs. If not for back to back bad games in boston he'd have a 2.54 ERA, post all star break without those 2 games? 1.94....in 13 appearances against the AL central post ASB he gave up 2 runs....In what world is that lousy??

Paulie being banged up is the biggest reason why we havent ran away with the central IMO. You put a healthy Kong on this team then this board isnt talking "Playoffs?" were talking "Championship??" and its not even a question to me. (Fun tidbit, in Aug/Sept PK has 17 RBI...Gordo has 22)

As we have seen in countless KC and DET series this season, this White Sox team does not always handle pressure well. It's clear they're forcing everything (except Beckham, strangely), from catching the ball, to hitting, to baserunning... they've lost their cool a little bit. The good news is the Tigers have dealt with this too, much worse than we have, but I wouldn't be shocked if they picked the last 12 games of the season to go on a tear while we f*** ourselves in the foot.

(1) Rosters expanded on September 1, so Robin is able to do the lefty/righty matchups earlier in games

(2) The offense has sucked balls lately, so there has been less margin for error with the starters

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
(1) Rosters expanded on September 1, so Robin is able to do the lefty/righty matchups earlier in games

(2) The offense has sucked balls lately, so there has been less margin for error with the starters

Do you guys agree our games have had horrible flow to them since our starters have failed to get through five innings? Robin refuses to let guys pitch a full inning of relief it seems to me and we're going lefty/righty and it is miserable baseball. I hope this is an aberration and he returns to letting relievers pitch full innings next season. I despise this kind of baseball. It's OK in the eighth leading up to the closer in the ninth but I hate this kinda ball.

Set up men are supposed to set up for the f***ing closer.

Do you guys agree????

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
Do you guys agree our games have had horrible flow to them since our starters have failed to get through five innings? Robin refuses to let guys pitch a full inning of relief it seems to me and we're going lefty/righty and it is miserable baseball. I hope this is an aberration and he returns to letting relievers pitch full innings next season. I despise this kind of baseball. It's OK in the eighth leading up to the closer in the ninth but I hate this kinda ball.

Set up men are supposed to set up for the f***ing closer.

Do you guys agree????

I think it's Reed causing a good amount of this, and frankly, I like what Robin has been doing lately as far as trying to make his saves as easy as possible. If Reed were good for a full inning then I think you could count on the others more for full innings. Also, Thornton IMO still needs to be protected. He has been crisp lately, with his breaking ball actually looking like a breaking ball & popping the glove with the fastball, and I think you need to do whatever you think you need to do to have the good Thornton playoff ready.