Bruce Levine Trying to Remove Frank's Foot from...

forkit

Before the game last night, Bruce Levine was pontificating about what HE'd do about this Sox team. When asked about whether he'd play Konerko or Frank at first, his reply was: [and I paraphrase here] 'Frank doesn't start. He's about done. He's had a few hot streaks, but you can tell he's not able to hit major league pitching very well now. I'd start Daubach most days at first. He'd give you a quality bat. Konerko and Carl Everett can DH. Frank should sit for the remainder...'

I hope Bruce showed up for the game last night...Frank certainly did. Maybe Bruce isn't as good a judge of talent as he thinks?

Forkit!

Guest Ncorgbl
Before the game last night, Bruce Levine was pontificating about what HE'd do about this Sox team. When asked about whether he'd play Konerko or Frank at first, his reply was: [and I paraphrase here] 'Frank doesn't start. He's about done. He's had a few hot streaks, but you can tell he's not able to hit major league pitching very well now. I'd start Daubach most days at first. He'd give you a quality bat. Konerko and Carl Everett can DH. Frank should sit for the remainder...'

I hope Bruce showed up for the game last night...Frank certainly did. Maybe Bruce isn't as good a judge of talent as he thinks?

Forkit!

I've searched all over for Levine's baseball stats, both pro and amatuer, and came up with nothing. That seems to be consistant with his reporting.

Just curious where you heard this..? I listened to the pre-game show and I didn't hear it - although I was in and out of the house. Bruce and Frank have been "friendly" as far as I know. I can't imagine Bruce saying this. Additionally, he's the only consistant beat writer allowed in the clubhouse.. I just can not see him biting the hand that feeds him.

Is there a link to his comments..?

Nothing in the papers about it either. :huh: And I'm sure it would make the papers..

Forkit!

If he thinks Frank is done, whats his logic about Daubach and Konerko being productive? Maybe he was drunk.

Bruce Levineline is a Cub fan who worships Corky. He has no business working for AM1000. His remarks are probably an audition for WGN radio. He is a dope.

His is also very PC to his job, and he is close with several of the players. He got the job as the "Sox Insider" because he is a fair reporter. I'm sorry.. but I don't buy it that he said this, and I'd bet that he definitely didn't say it on AM1000 pre-game show (which is where he gets his air time) or Dave would have ripped him a new one.

Bruce Levineline is a Cub fan who worships Corky. He has no business working for AM1000. His remarks are probably an audition for WGN radio. He is a dope.

You are so right. He always has priase for the cub but always needs to point out the negative of the sox. If you ever listen to Jimmy Piersall though you would appreciate Levine. All media treats the cub like they are they Yankees, except Skip Bayless, I love this guy.

Steff:

It was roughly ten minutes before the "official" pre-game started. I was driving to the pool to pick up the little ones.

He gave a very friendly review of Robbie and then spoke kindly about Carl, explaining that it isn't his [Carl's] fault he can't field, because his knees are bad now. So clearly Carl should be the every day DH, with Daubach [a quality first baseman and hitter, he said] getting most of the time at first.

He was very clear and very specific and very...wrong.

He ended the report with something like: 'That's how I'd do it--it makes perfect sense to me. But I don't make out the line-up cards.'

Forkit!

Guest Ncorgbl
His is also very PC to his job, and he is close with several of the players. He got the job as the "Sox Insider" because he is a fair reporter. I'm sorry.. but I don't buy it that he said this, and I'd bet that he definitely didn't say it on AM1000 pre-game show (which is where he gets his air time) or Dave would have ripped him a new one.

I agree, Steff, it didn't sound right, but he did say it on the AM1000 pre game show.

I agree, Steff, it didn't sound right, but he did say it on the AM1000 pre game show.

Any chance it was out of context..?

I'll talk to Dave later.. but I can't imagine he didn't go off on him, or at least make a comment about his comments.

Steff:

No chance. For chuckles, I checked the "other" Sox board and there is a lengthy discussion there as well. He was specific and actually, he brought it up himself when pontificating about the Robbie and Carl trades and how they fit in the lineup.

Basically, he gave a little three or four minute wrap on how he'd use Konerko, Daubach and Carl [leaving Frank on the bench].

Forkit!

Steff,

NOT A CHANCE that it was out of context.

I heard it too, and he said everything listed in previous posts.

He was even chuckling a little bit about "not making out the lineup cards".

I have to laugh at any suggestion of passing on Frank at first so Brian Daubach can get some at-bats.

It seems that the current management are dead-set on denying what everyone already knows - that Frank Thomas, for whatever reason, is a MUCH MUCH better, more effective and more dangerous hitter when he plays first base.

WHY they continue to shoot themselves in the foot is beyond me. If they're trying to prove a point, the only point they're proving to me is that giving their team the best chance to win is less important than keeping Frank Thomas "in line".

...I don't get it...I just don't get it...

Steff:

It was roughly ten minutes before the "official" pre-game started. I was driving to the pool to pick up the little ones.

He gave a very friendly review of Robbie and then spoke kindly about Carl, explaining that it isn't his [Carl's] fault he can't field, because his knees are bad now. So clearly Carl should be the every day DH, with Daubach [a quality first baseman and hitter, he said] getting most of the time at first.

He was very clear and very specific and very...wrong.

He ended the report with something like: 'That's how I'd do it--it makes perfect sense to me. But I don't make out the line-up cards.'

Forkit!

I don't doubt you, forkit. Like I said I didn't hear the entire pre-game - I was in the pool ;)

Guest Ncorgbl
Steff,

I have to laugh at any suggestion of passing on Frank at first so Brian Daubach can get some at-bats.

It seems that the current management are dead-set on denying what everyone already knows - that Frank Thomas, for whatever reason, is a MUCH MUCH better, more effective and more dangerous hitter when he plays first base.

WHY they continue to shoot themselves in the foot is beyond me. If they're trying to prove a point, the only point they're proving to me is that giving their team the best chance to win is less important than keeping Frank Thomas "in line".

That's not what they are doing. The 'hope' is that Frank can handle ANY situation he's in and they can get others back to contributing. It worked briefly for Konerko, who's back sliding again at .095 ths past week. However, Thomas has been asked to sacrifice for this club for years, accepting the DH when his better judgement said not to, and taking the DH now to help get others straight, and still has people who call him a whiner, or not a team player, or not liked in the clubhouse. Last night's celebration at home plate showed yet again just how his teammates, those who know him, really feel. Everyone else is just Bulls***.

Steff,

That's not what they are doing. The 'hope' is that Frank can handle ANY situation he's in and they can get others back to contributing. It worked briefly for Konerko, who's back sliding again at .095 ths past week. However, Thomas has been asked to sacrifice for this club for years, accepting the DH when his better judgement said not to, and taking the DH now to help get others straight, and still has people who call him a whiner, or not a team player, or not liked in the clubhouse. Last night's celebration at home plate showed yet again just how his teammates, those who know him, really feel. Everyone else is just Bulls***.

Exactly. I love it when I hear people call him a whiner, a baby, and not a team player. Unless you know what goes on in that clubhouse and how he interacts with the guys... you know nothing. And even on the heels of JM questioning the media about only quoting selected text - basically busting them for trying to create trouble - people still say crap. I've been lucky enough to hear things from the horses mouth.. and it's very accurate to say that the Frank that is portrayed is not who Frank is.

Guest Ncorgbl

Steff, you're right, but the dopes will still believe what the talking heads say, knowing full well they exist only because of the players. The only way they can stand out is to create controversey.

Here's a guy who knows his HOF chances are hurt by DHing, yet stayed here because he loves the owner and fans, and helps the guy who plays 1st base in his place, Konerko, the same one who spouted when he was hot, with his hitting. No hard feelings, no grudge, no whining, but "C'mon Paulie, lets work on this".

These people don't deserve Frank Thomas.

Bruce Levine said to sit Frank Thomas for the remainder of the season??? I am completely amazed by that. Good Lord, the guy, while not hitting .330 with 40 homers, is still a very good hitter. And to sit him for Konerko and Daubach? Even before last night's heroics, I would have thought that talk the product of serious drug use.

I still can't believe that Washburn and/or Scoschia (sp?) decided to pitch to Frank.

As for pitching to Frank, I think Ncorg [elsewhere] had it right: This was classic old-time baseball. Washburn has owned Frank in the past and Sciosa knew Frank was struggling. After talking with Washburn, he decided to roll the dice...bringing in the CF to make the five man infield was an attempt to give Frank just one more thing to think about while he was standing at the plate.

I thought the game last night was really a very enjoyable game and it was especially nice to see some strategy being used--even if Frank's clutch hit won the battle. This was just good baseball and Sciosa [ok, I can't spell his name either] just rolled the dice and lost.

Good stuff.

Forkit!

As for pitching to Frank, I think Ncorg [elsewhere] had it right: This was classic old-time baseball. Washburn has owned Frank in the past and Sciosa knew Frank was struggling. After talking with Washburn, he decided to roll the dice...bringing in the CF to make the five man infield was an attempt to give Frank just one more thing to think about while he was standing at the plate.

I thought the game last night was really a very enjoyable game and it was especially nice to see some strategy being used--even if Frank's clutch hit won the battle. This was just good baseball and Sciosa [ok, I can't spell his name either] just rolled the dice and lost.

Good stuff.

Forkit!

I liked what Scioscia did, especially considering that the Angels are out of the race.

Sutcliffe kept thinking that they were going to walk the bases loaded, and try to induce Paulie to GIDP.

Good stuff.

Forkit!

I think the fact that the Angels are out of it had soemthing to do with it. Not sure why but I think if they really needed to win, the bullpen would have been called on.