So they can't beat KC and Detroit...

Cali

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 06:17 PM)
Um, that's delusional. The Sox nearly choked the division away. We were on pace to win a lot more than 99. I remember the atmosphere on this board quite well.
On July 18, 2005 the Sox were 62-29, 13.5 games in front. After losing to Minnesota on September 22 they were 91-61 and only 1.5 in front. However then they turned on the afterburners going 8-2 to finish the season and an incredible 11-1 in the playoffs. Yes, when the lead was down to a game and a half there was lots of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth among Sox fans. As for this year's team, I've enjoyed them greatly but they in no way remind me of the 2005 team. I fully realize that MLB has embraced NFL style playoffs and many hope the Sox will be like the 87 Twins or 06 Cardinals.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)
Tigers basically have to play mistake-free baseball the rest of the season. I just don't see that happening.

Exactly.

Plus, lets crunch numbers here:13 games left. Sox go 7-6, Detroit has to go 10-3 to overtake us or 9-4 to tie.

Edited by whitesox901

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
Tigers basically have to play mistake-free baseball the rest of the season. I just don't see that happening.

I disagree. Let's talk after this weekend. This 2 game lead can turn into a one-game Detroit lead in the blink of an eye. Cmon. We play the Angels on the road and they play Minnesota at home? A reasonable person would assume we lose 2 minimum and they win two minimum and that means they are one back. It could wind up a lot worse than that in just one weekend.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
Doesn't seem particularly difficult given their remaining schedule.

They're only 15-14 against KC and Minny combined this season. So yeah playing 7 over would be difficult based on past results this season.

Greg makes sense though. Maybe instead of "reasonable person" you say "outside observer." You would expect such a person to assume that with 2 good teams playing each other (Sox at Angels) in a 3-game series, the home team would win 2 of 3, while with one good team at home playing a bad team (Tigers hosting the Twins) the good team would take 2 of 3 or sweep.

And I hope none of that happens.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
Quote from Kansas City Royals slugger Billy Butler, after beating the Chicago White Sox on Thursday night: "If we take care of business against Detroit, those (Sox) have a good chance to be in the playoffs."

Glad they have the spoiler mindset. I bet they will play them tough. I hope Butler blasts a bomb off Verlander or Scherzer.

Looks like Scherzer is pushing to get the start on Sunday still...

DETROIT -- Max Scherzer sounds fairly confident he'll start for the Tigers on Sunday after testing his shoulder in a throwing session Friday afternoon. His manager wants a little more assurance that he's healthy before he makes his final decision.

Welcome to the tug and pull of an injured pitcher down the stretch in a playoff chase.

"Max feels real good," Jim Leyland said. "Max might feel good, but in the back of my mind, am I taking a chance with this guy for his future? For the Tigers' future? It's always a tough call. It's not easy, because I don't know: Does this thing lead to something else?"

Scherzer threw for about five minutes off flat ground in Comerica Park's outfield, basically just enough to see how his arm felt in something resembling his normal delivery. He said the inflammation that had been bothering him is gone.

"I'm expecting I should be able to make the start, seeing how my arm has responded to the treatment and the medicine," Scherzer said. "I'm getting the inflammation out. This wasn't a structural damage thing. This was just inflammation. After talking to doctors and realizing there's no structural damage, I don't have any fears or anything about hurting my arm any further. For me right now, it feels like the inflammation's out, so my arm feels good."

Scherzer will throw again on Saturday, mixing in his full arsenal to make sure he can go. It's an unusual move for a pitcher that close to his start, but it's out of caution.

Only after that session will Leyland and the team medical staff make the decision.

"I'll have to be totally convinced by our medical team, which is excellent," Leyland said. "But that clearance will have to come from them."

Leyland said he'll have Drew Smyly on hold for the next couple days until they know whether they'll need him to start Sunday. Smyly threw Thursday afternoon, entering with a bases-loaded situation in the ninth inning, but it basically amounted to a mound session like he would normally do before a start. He'll throw a little bit before the games this weekend, but nothing extensive.

www.tigers.com

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 08:12 PM)
Quote from Kansas City Royals slugger Billy Butler, after beating the Chicago White Sox on Thursday night: "If we take care of business against Detroit, those (Sox) have a good chance to be in the playoffs."

God's speed, Royals.

Royals' Sal Perez is out with a bad hand and Gordon is out as well. They hope to return for the Detroit series. I'm thinking the Royals' hatred of the Sox and domination of the Sox will continue with them laying down vs. Detroit and losing 3 or 4. They don't like us. Let's see if they really come back for the Detroit series.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 02:05 AM)
Royals' Sal Perez is out with a bad hand and Gordon is out as well. They hope to return for the Detroit series. I'm thinking the Royals' hatred of the Sox and domination of the Sox will continue with them laying down vs. Detroit and losing 3 or 4. They don't like us. Let's see if they really come back for the Detroit series.

As division rivals, the Royals don't like the Sox, but it's not like they are best buds with the Tigers. I'm sure they feel the same way about Detroit and aren't gonna lay down to give them the division, they wouldn't have swept them in KC last month.

For a young team like KC, there's nothing better than stomping your division rivals playoff hopes at the end of the year, whether it be Detroit or Chicago.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)

They're playing a lot closer to mistake free baseball than we are these days and their schedule is much easier than ours. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we hold on and win the division.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 03:57 PM)
They're playing a lot closer to mistake free baseball than we are these days and their schedule is much easier than ours. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we hold on and win the division.

You obviously haven't seen the highlights from Thursday's Tigers game.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
If we win one and the tigers win two I am completely fine with that.

We would emerge from the weekend with a 1 game lead and 7 of 10 at home vs their 4 of 10 at home.

Magic number would drop to 10 with 10 left. I like our chances of going at least 6-4.

2 out of those 3 lines came true.