Sox could be out of 1st by tomorrow night

macsandz

The Sox had a 3.0 game lead four days ago. It's now half that.

After the team's atrocious play this week one can only assume they will continue their collapse in Anaheim. This is how it happens and it happens fast. The Tigers now have Scherzer back and are playing the pathetic Minnesota Peavys all weekend in Detroit. At the most important time of the season the Sox are playing their worst baseball and likely will pay for it. Soon.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)

After the team's atrocious play this week one can only assume they will continue their collapse in Anaheim. This is how it happens and it happens fast. The Tigers now have Scherzer back and are playing the pathetic Minnesota Peavys all weekend in Detroit. At the most important time of the season the Sox are playing their worst baseball and likely will pay for it. Soon.

So what? 3.0 isn't some kind of huge lead that gets halved in extreme circumstances.

I don't agree. Teams lose 3 in row then turn it around very quickly all the time. You can't predict how they will play based on the last 3 games, at all. Three games ago, would you have said that the awesome sox will continue their unbeatable ways?

Best to relax and watch the games than do whatever it is you are doing here. What are you doing here? What is your point? To outline the worst case scenario apparently. For what reason? What does that do?

Edited by MAX

I decided to look up some 2nd half numbers to see if anyone was performing better than they did in the first half. Of the main guys on the team, the only players with a higher batting average since the ASB than before it are:

- Dunn (.208 before, .210 after)

- Ramirez (.266 before, .275 after)

Konerko was .329 before, and .266 after. Quietly, Rios is hitting .045 points worse in the 2nd half. Youk's .065 points lower in the 2nd half.

As for the pitching, Floyd, Jones and Santiago have shown the most improvement since the ASB. Peavy's ERA is 1.35 runs higher, Sale's is 1.46 higher, Crain/Thornton about .8 runs higher, Reed's ERA was 4.06 before the ASB and 5.91 after. Quintana's ERA was 2.04 in the 1st half, and 5.06 in the 2nd half.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure how this team has managed to stay in first this long. Guys like Flowers, Wise and Veal have contributed a lot since the ASB.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)

or they may not be. who gives a s*** about this thread?

We're at that time of year where you just want to wake up in first place. It's bend but don't break time.

But to be realistic, considering the Tigers are playing 7 vs KC and 6 vs Minnesota, I think the best we should hope for is 8-5 for the Tigers, and that would leave the Sox having to go 7-5 to win the division.

But again, the Sox will wake up in first on Sunday, and they'll try to make it to Monday still in first. And so on until October 4th or 5th.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
We're at that time of year where you just want to wake up in first place. It's bend but don't break time.

But to be realistic, considering the Tigers are playing 7 vs KC and 6 vs Minnesota, I think the best we should hope for is 8-5 for the Tigers, and that would leave the Sox having to go 7-5 to win the division.

But again, the Sox will wake up in first on Sunday, and they'll try to make it to Monday still in first. And so on until October 4th or 5th.

Give me a one game lead come Monday, and I'm happy. 2 games, and that's a minor miracle.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 06:38 PM)

Who cares? It is what it is. Like Rongey said, it's just baseball and the Sox were in contention all year. Just think when we have a season like the Cubs. They've been irrelevant since well before the all star break. The Sox like Fathom said are very very flawed. Because of all the injuries and lack of fan support at home, not giving us much of a homefield advantage, it's been a good season no matter what. They might win, might not. At least we're done with KC and Detroit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 07:05 PM)
Give me a one game lead come Monday, and I'm happy. 2 games, and that's a minor miracle.

Well put. If Detroit can't wrap this thing up playing KC and Minnie as many times as they do, Leyland deserves to get canned. Detroit is a heavy heavy favorite right now.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
All I know is every day is a struggle for me...I can hardly watch the games...in fact, I've been going out and following along on my phone just to avoid having to watch them many nights.

Likewise.

This team has far exceeded my expectations at least as far as the standings go. Robin Ventura, I believe has done an outstanding job with what he has to work with and I know he gets a lot of crap at least in the game threads from all the armchair managers. I'm happy as hell (and shocked) with the fact that they've been in 1st place as long as they have. But, holy hell they can be frustrating to watch. I just prefer to save myself the anguish. I figure if and when they win, I can just watch the highlights. This, until they begin to play well again a little more consistently.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
All I know is every day is a struggle for me...I can hardly watch the games...in fact, I've been going out and following along on my phone just to avoid having to watch them many nights.

This is one hell of a nervewracking final month...

I can't manage to do quite that (avoiding watching altogether ... although I have done that in very small doses, for example, turning off the TV during certain Reed save opportunities and checking the score in 15-20 minutes), but all I can say is ... THANK GOD FOR DVR. For my money, the industrial and computer revolutions were designed for one thing only ... pave the way for DVR for the sports fan.

Now, while I still need to watch, I can fulfill my other obligations, DVR the damned game (avoiding hearing anything about the game the best I can), and watching when I'm free.

Or, more subtly, absolutely save myself from 2-1/2 to 3 hours of agony watching certain games, and getting it over with in 20-30 minutes. At this time of year, I know what Sale, Peavy, Quintanta, Thornton, Reed and all of Peavy's boys bring to the table in terms of the way they work hitters and their stuff. I know the patterns and I don't need to see the full AB. Same for the hitters. The Santana debacle last night was a great example of how the DVR can save hours of misery. Watched live and saw Santana give up the leadoff HR to DeAza, but then see the Sox fail to overcome on Santana's early control issues, let him get past that with no damage at all (rather easily too), and watched what any experienced baseball watcher then knew was inevitable -- a good pitcher who had found his rhythm just totally outclass a very mediocre offensive lineup. Once Peavy gave up the lead with his standard-issue multi-run inning, I shifted over to DVR, mid-level fast-forward mode, and watched each pitch (but super-quick) to see if the script that we sometimes know all to well would change. It didn't.

I know I'm going to watch. Can't help myself. But might as well watch the dud games in 20, 30, 45 minutes rather than 2-1/2 hours or more!

These next two games are a major test for our guys. The Angels are a far superior offensive team, with most of their big-guns currently very hot (too early to tell long-term on Mike Trout, but the dude COULD be a true once-in-a-generation player). Unfortunately, our guns are more limited to start with and we're anything but hot. Hoping of course, but not very optimistic that we're going to have many positives the next two games.

All things considered, losing those games to the Twins in 2003, 2004 and down the stretch in 2008 might be worse than losing 9/10 to the Tigers or 12/18 to the Royals this season.

Our expectations were very high in 2003, low in 2008 (except Quentin, Ramirez, Floyd and Danks elevated them) and quite low again this year.

I can't remember very many credible national baseball prognosticators predicting 100 losses, but there were quite a few 87-95 loss projections.

After a certain trend developed (and this has been ongoing for 2-3 years now with the Royals), you've just come to almost be resigned to losing to them, although you thought with the solid victory on Tuesday that they might take 2/3 at least.

That last game, because it was the most recent, stings the most...you just have the feeling that a 3 game lead would have been enough to get it done, but that 2 won't be...razor sharp margin.

We still have a chance to pull it out with that homestand, but you really wonder if we could survive for about the 10th time this team a setback like getting swept in LA while the Tigers are possibly sweeping the Twins at home.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)

This is one hell of a nervewracking final month...

This.

I'm getting tired of going to bed with a knot in my stomach.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
This.

I'm getting tired of going to bed with a knot in my stomach.

I was probably more nervous a week ago. Now, kinda like what rowand proclaimed a few posts ago, it seems like the writing might be on the wall if this team doesn't play better.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
I was probably more nervous a week ago. Now, kinda like what rowand proclaimed a few posts ago, it seems like the writing might be on the wall if this team doesn't play better.

Indeed. It's still sucks though. That's why I hate the long baseball season. All that for nothing. They need to shrink it to a 150 game season.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 08:51 PM)
Indeed. It's still sucks though. That's why I hate the long baseball season. All that for nothing. They need to shrink it to a 150 game season.

Or maybe the White Sox offense can find a way to not fade during the 2nd half of seemingly ever season this century.